ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Email DJ scams?  (Read 7194 times)

Jack Arnott

Email DJ scams?
« on: December 05, 2017, 02:31:52 PM »

Hi everyone,
In the last few months I have received three emails looking for DJ services.
I do not offer DJ services. When I respond, they push back, and try to get me to accommodate them. One component of the email is inquiring if I accept credit cards. It now seems like a pattern, and a scam of some sort. Do the rest of you get similar emails? What is the scam they are trying to push?

Regards, Jack

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Re: Email DJ scams?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:12:51 PM »

Hi everyone,
In the last few months I have received three emails looking for DJ services.
I do not offer DJ services. When I respond, they push back, and try to get me to accommodate them. One component of the email is inquiring if I accept credit cards. It now seems like a pattern, and a scam of some sort. Do the rest of you get similar emails? What is the scam they are trying to push?

Regards, Jack

Yes they are most likely scams. They want to pay with a (stolen) credit card, will give you extra to pay other  vendors and have you wire money (your hard earned money) to them.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

David Allred

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »

Ask to meet them at the venue.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 04:39:23 PM »

Yes they are most likely scams. They want to pay with a (stolen) credit card, will give you extra to pay other  vendors and have you wire money (your hard earned money) to them.
Yep, here's your answer. It used to be with checks- they'd send you a bad check, that you'd deposit, and you'd TEMPORARILY have the money. You'd send out GOOD checks based on that money, and then when the bad check bounced, you've already sent out good money to the "other vendors" (who end up being associates of the first person), and you're hosed.

Bottom line, though, is that you don't offer DJ services, so I don't get what result they think they're going to reach by pushing back on you! :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »

I had somebody contact me about recording.  I asked if they meant recording of a live event and no, they wanted studio recording services.  Person was quite insistent and English wasn't so good.

Now I do have a personal project studio that I could record someone to backing tracks in or maybe a duo.  But he said he had 3 different 6 person groups and was upset that why couldn't I just give him a quote.

Tried to tell him politely that this would be outside my capabilities.

Weird.

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »

Yes. because I am also a Contra/Square Dance caller, I get come-ons to "teach Ballroom" to "wedding couples"; at my facility of course!  They allude to good pay, though.  ;)  I mark them as spam.

-Dennis
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:26:31 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 06:59:01 PM »

So, tell them that you'll only accept "wired" money as payment.
Member since 2005.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »

I got one each month or so wanting to buy “style scaffold”. Sigh...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Henderson

• Lab Lounge
    • http://www.getlostinsound.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

Yep, I got a couple of emails that didn’t get spam-filtered in the last few months about recording “in my studio” with a group they were managing. They were unable to communicate via phone because of their hearing impairment. I was fine with using email, but when they started asking for a credit card invoice for the session after I told them I didn’t have a studio, I got the hint.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

One component of the email is inquiring if I accept credit cards. It now seems like a pattern, and a scam of some sort.

We had this happen 2 years ago or so.  It was going to be a 'Family Reunion' at a venue that holds around 6,000...big family.   The first tell was that this all happened within a week of the date.  They wanted to overnight us a check to pay for everything and then wanted to pay us another $2,000 to us if we would pay the 'Party Planner'.  After that we will give you another $1,000 if you will pay the entertainment for us since we won't be there until late and they have to be paid prior to performance.   It kept on going and eventually we were making more then double what we would have charged for the show.

We declined.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 09:43:33 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.