ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Low cost hdmi switcher needed  (Read 6914 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Low cost hdmi switcher needed
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:24 PM »

I help out at an organization that helps disadvantaged kids.

They have a projector with DVI input and they have two hdmi video sources. One source is a laptop that the use for presentations. The second one is a video player.
They have been using a simple A/B switch.

Besides the abrupt switching, sometimes the disconnected source laptop changes resolution when it detects there is nothing connected.

When it reconnects, sometimes the projector and the laptop get into a resolution conflict while they sort it out. Meanwhile it looks like a mess on the screen and it takes a while.

So, they would like something better.

It looks like the Roland V-1HD would be perfect but it is way outside their price range.

I saw a Kramer VP-728 on eBay that looks close but I don’t know enough here.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
Re: Low cost hdmi switcher needed
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

I swore off Kramer years ago, but their new (ish) VS-611 looks very interesting for the price.  I especially like that it has a HDbaseT output.  When you're talking about a punch switcher I'm not sure your definition of low cost, but for me this looks like a good option when I need switching but can't get the budget for a Barco 902.

https://www.kramerav.com/us/Product/VS-611DT

thomas d.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 01:10:44 AM »

If the player and current switch play nice then maybe a splitter with edid processing can help. The idea is to give the laptop something to latch on to.

Hdcp may also be causing the glitched switch.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:04:44 AM »

HDMI is more than just video.  What is needed is a switcher that addresses everything, HDCP and EDID being the primary but not only factors.  For a clean transition, the switcher has to pre-handshake and hold that handshake so the transition is only a video switch. 

The cheapest is a glitchy, ugly, multi-second transition.  Higher cost fades from the first source to black and then to the second source.  Higher cost yet is a clean transition. 

Do they need a T-bar style switcher or a simple push-button selector?  If the former, the V-1HD is as inexpensive as it gets.  If the latter, various Extron and Analog Way options come to mind, but they cost more. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »

Atlona comes to mind at the suggestion of my distributor.

HDVS-150-TX older version is ~200 on b&h; the older version doesn't do powered HDbaseT but it might work well for your purposes :)

Alternatively, the KanexPro might do the trick coming in at $180 for the switcher.

Disclaimer: I've never used those products yet, just did a ton of research when I was working on some installs that never happened.

Edit:
Looks like Caleb's: Extron SW6 HDMI is on ebay used for $170.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:52:33 AM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »

Is this a fixed installed, or a travelling show?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:47 AM »

I help out at an organization that helps disadvantaged kids.

They have a projector with DVI input and they have two hdmi video sources. One source is a laptop that the use for presentations. The second one is a video player.
They have been using a simple A/B switch.

Besides the abrupt switching, sometimes the disconnected source laptop changes resolution when it detects there is nothing connected.

When it reconnects, sometimes the projector and the laptop get into a resolution conflict while they sort it out. Meanwhile it looks like a mess on the screen and it takes a while.

So, they would like something better.

It looks like the Roland V-1HD would be perfect but it is way outside their price range.

I saw a Kramer VP-728 on eBay that looks close but I don’t know enough here.

Suggestions?

What about converting one of the HDMI sources to another input on the projector and using the projector as switcher?
Might still have the resolution battle when switching but worth a try.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 10:28:48 AM »

I am using one of these and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049SCB2Y
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:31:24 PM »

Is this a fixed installed, or a travelling show?

It gets set up in multiple places.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »

What about converting one of the HDMI sources to another input on the projector and using the projector as switcher?
Might still have the resolution battle when switching but worth a try.

I thought of that but the second input is only VGA. Also, it is a long cable run to the projector and making 2 runs would be a hassle.
In past years, an operator of the laptop was colocated with the projector so a single long hdmi run got the other source to the projector area and switch.
Now, it is difficult to put anyone near the projector so the operator will be located with the sound board (about 100 cable feet to the projector and about 80 feet from the other source).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:39:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.