ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 Wifi router for 2 different units/purposes?  (Read 3701 times)

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
1 Wifi router for 2 different units/purposes?
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »

Hello,
Curious to know if there is any issue with running 1 wireless router with my existing digital console and possibly connecting a wireless digital crossover network to the same router like a dbx driverack PA2 or similar?

I'm trying to streamline my networks and having 1 router to handle these 2 tasks would be great instead purchasing another one. My existing router has 1 in and 4 out/ports.

Thanks.

Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 1 Wifi router for 2 different units/purposes?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:53:58 PM »

Hello,
Curious to know if there is any issue with running 1 wireless router with my existing digital console and possibly connecting a wireless digital crossover network to the same router like a dbx driverack PA2 or similar?

I'm trying to streamline my networks and having 1 router to handle these 2 tasks would be great instead purchasing another one. My existing router has 1 in and 4 out/ports.

Thanks.

As I often say (and have said in other replies to your posts)..

Try it and find out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »

Hello,

Thanks.

Assuming you have a gigabit switch (part of the WiFi, router box), there should be no problem at all. Remote control of most consoles doesn’t use much bandwidth though it does prefer low latency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:23:15 PM »

Assuming you have a gigabit switch (part of the WiFi, router box), there should be no problem at all. Remote control of most consoles doesn’t use much bandwidth though it does prefer low latency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

(big snip of previously written words)

BTW, I agree that there is likely no problem with only a small number of devices on the network even if we don't know how much data is really flowing. 

(further snip of very low pH words)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:40 PM »

If it helps - I run my digital console and my DMX lighting ( using artnet node) through the same router every show with no issues.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 11:07:19 PM »

Hello,

Thanks.
Bundled with our snake we have a cat that is used for monitoring processors (lake and UX8800), wireless (sennheiser WSM, connected to mics and iems), and our QSC PLD monitor amps running off a raspberry pi, all while simultaneously connected to our consoles via Apple airport extreme or express, depending on which console is at FOH. It all works like a charm. YMMV.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:48:34 AM »

Hello,

Thanks.

Ethernet ports are bidirectional, there is no in or out.

Both devices should be assigned IP's in the same network (as defined by the subnet mask).   You don't need a router for this application.

Suggest you read our sticky thread, introduction to networking to help anchor these concepts. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 03:13:59 AM »

Suggest you read our sticky thread, introduction to networking to help anchor these concepts.
This! Networking is not plug and play, I don't care what the add says.  Having said that.  A hand full of devices on a small island of a network should not be a problem.  Simple control devices don't need much.

If your trying to send audio or video in real time over a network, then things get a bit deep.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

Yes... read the networking sticky.  We run an integrated network that has Dante, various projector and control protocols, internet for staff devices, there are access points for iPad remotes, for sound consoles, our lighting console...   the only thing on an independent network is our sACN lighting data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

Running a MR18, Venu360, DR260, and Airport express on 5-port Netgear.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.