ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Garth Brooks Show Lost Power in Newark,NJ  (Read 5867 times)

Aaron Maurer

Garth Brooks Show Lost Power in Newark,NJ
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »

Have a friend that sent a message over and said their daughter is at the Garth concert tonight (12/3) at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ and the power went out.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Garth Brooks Show Lost Power in Newark,NJ
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »

Have a friend that sent a message over and said their daughter is at the Garth concert tonight (12/3) at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ and the power went out.
Yeah-that happens.

What is special about it?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Aaron Maurer

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:40:49 AM »

I guess I wondered what it takes to bring a system back up and running particularly in the digital age. What is the sequence of events that are normal for a system this size? 

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:51:32 AM »

I guess I wondered what it takes to bring a system back up and running particularly in the digital age. What is the sequence of events that are normal for a system this size?
Ummm. Panic ?
Seriously,same as a small system. Mix engines and computers are on battery packs. I'd shut off the amps and/or powered speakers, and wait for power to return and stabilize. Power on, get backline happy, and carry on.
As for the Lampeys, I've never worked in "Land of the lights", but I presume about the same. Control on Battery, power off the dimmers and such until power is stable again.
(I could be wrong.....)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:34:50 AM »

Ummm. Panic ?
Seriously,same as a small system. Mix engines and computers are on battery packs. I'd shut off the amps and/or powered speakers, and wait for power to return and stabilize. Power on, get backline happy, and carry on.
As for the Lampeys, I've never worked in "Land of the lights", but I presume about the same. Control on Battery, power off the dimmers and such until power is stable again.
(I could be wrong.....)
Chris.

Basically what you said, I'd add that the discharge lamps in the fixtures would have to be re-struck; but most high-end fixtures have hot-restrike capabilities (waiting would be bad when you're in a big show like that) so should be up and running in ~3min or less from power on.

Just have to let all the fixtures do their power-on-self-test first then good to go.

As for the powered speakers/amps most these days have soft-start so I wouldn't think you'd have to do anything...?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 12:23:57 PM »

As for the powered speakers/amps most these days have soft-start so I wouldn't think you'd have to do anything...?
I'd put power up in groups. Bad practice just to power up the whole rig in one shot. Inrush shouldn't be too bad, they were just on. But still......
Other than my littlelites, i know not a lot of Lampy Territory. (other than they always want to put fixtures where I want my hangs.........) Hahah
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »

Consoles and controls tend to be on UPS backup power, especially items with life safety implications like hoist controls and set automation, also sound and lights and often computerized parts of back line like keyboards, samplers and trax playback rigs.  Pretty much anything that needs to be in its previous state when the rest of the power comes back on and/or that has more than a couple of seconds of boot up time.

Dimmers can come back on from cold (I'm not suggesting this is best practice, only that it can be done and happens often in fixed installations - house lights, etc).

The in-rush, from an electrical utility standpoint, isn't significantly different than any other load.  The HVAC in the arena will likely draw far more at restart than moving lights and PA amps.

For our systems (I-Tech based), as soon as I can see all my amps and networked devices back online in Audio Architect I'll give the "audio all clear" to the stage manager and wait for instructions.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:46 PM »

Wow. Sound like Garth's tour has been plagued with some really bad luck this year. I bet he regrets getting back in to touring after so many years of no stress.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:02 PM »

The outage happened near the end of the support act set.  The audience sang their a capella (that's Italian for 'singing without hats' ;) ) version of Friends in Low Places (and probably forcing Garth to change the set list as that's part of the show).

BTW, I must thank guitar vituoso Beppe Gambetta for the translation...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

DavidTurner

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »

The outage happened near the end of the support act set.  The audience sang their a capella (that's Italian for 'singing without hats' ;) ) version of Friends in Low Places (and probably forcing Garth to change the set list as that's part of the show).

BTW, I must thank guitar vituoso Beppe Gambetta for the translation...

My Music Theory professors says it means "like church".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 08:06:44 PM »

My Music Theory professors says it means "like church".

My Music Theory Professor who happens to be a Priest says it means 'Good Brothel'.  It could be that way.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

DavidTurner

Garth Brooks Show Lost Power in Newark,NJ
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »

My Music Theory Professor who happens to be a Priest says it means 'Good Brothel'.  It could be that way.

Bill
From Wikipedia: A cappella [a kkapˈpɛlla] (Italian for "in the manner of the chapel")[1]

Without hats in Italian is "senza cappello"

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:36:40 AM by DavidTurner »

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 02:50:18 AM »

No fun at all. >:(
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

DavidTurner

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 12:18:01 PM »

No fun at all. >:(

Ok. I missed the joke. Mea culpa. Sorry.
I guess I need a sense of humor transplant.

John Fruits

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »

Monday morning PSE&G stated that it was an internal issue with the arena's electrical system.
I am wondering if it was one of those legendary "oops, so that's what that switch is for" moments. 
For those playing along at home with the thread tangent, I think it's about some guy who really hates a certain brand of American windows---"Ack, a Pella". 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.