ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fake Sennheiser EW 300g3 off of eBay??  (Read 8567 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
Fake Sennheiser EW 300g3 off of eBay??
« on: December 03, 2017, 01:08:05 AM »

A month back, I ordered a pair of these used off of ebay at an attractive price (850$ for the two). Now due to my location, i have to ship in batches through intermediary shipping companies and it can take up to a month to get my item even by air shipping. Finally my babies arrive and i set them up. On scanning for free frequencies, i see almost interference on every channel. Finally i try to sync the receiver and the transmitter but the receiver automatically returns to a default frequency after a "successful" sync. OK. Manual set up and the sound is horrible. Not the sennheiser sound am used to from my trusted ew 100g3's. I smell a rat here. Checking the units, i find the receivers all have similar serial numbers and the transmitters are the same (See pics). I contact the seller and he insists he used the units successfully for 3 years (He was using 6 of them). On checking further, one of the units is 780-822mhz range (The picture that was listed) but the other is in the 734-776) range. Now all these are in a range banned by FCC in the US since 2010 ::).
Am trying to return the item but that means 2 months and 200$ shipping :'(. First eBay fraud on my part after thousands of items and years of flawless eBay.
Am really interested in upgrading to sennheiser mostly because of the robustness (Unlike my line 6 that breaks into 2 peaces when dropped accidentally) and i like the mic mute button on the 300s, but how do i spot authentic sennheiser???
Conrad

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Fake Sennheiser EW 300g3 off of eBay??
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:30:12 AM »

I must say if those are knockoffs they are very good knockoffs.

I would maybe contact your local Sennheiser distributor and have them run the serial numbers. If they turn up solid then send them in and have them repaired, considering it was a good price I doubt you would have too many issues paying some more for repairs.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:14:23 AM »

Is it normal for both units to have the same serial numbers?

Douglas R. Allen

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:41 AM »

Probably not. As I said run the serials, they could very likely have copied a sticker seeing as one sticker looks significantly more worn than the other.

A phone call to his local Sennheiser distributor with a followup email is really not a big deal and 200$ in shipping to get a refund is probably not cost effective.

They would be the best people to look at the units as well, probably won't charge him an arm and a leg to open the unit and confirm. We usually pay pretty low fees for them to replace antennas that "fell" off belt packs, significantly less than 200$.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »

I would definitely contact Sennheiser or their Rep in your region. 
They should not have like serial numbers, the two receivers pictured appear to have the power switches and the headphone jacks protruding through the faceplates at different distances.  The RJ45's on the rear also seem to be at different depths from the rear plate. 

Here is a link to a Sennheiser page that gives you a link to use the QR code and the ID above the QR code on the label to confirm that a product is or is not authentic.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/about-sennheiser-at-a-glance-counterfeit-a-guarantee-of-quality

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 08:47:37 AM »

Douglas R. Allen
That's a BIG red flag right there!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Justin Goodman

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 09:31:35 AM »

Douglas R. Allen

Both the tx and rx have identical serials ... at a minimum, even if they're genuine Sennheiser produced, there's SOMETHING shady going on. 

IMO: Best case scenario is somebody has access to stock that was replaced for the original owner under warranty and/or was traded in for FCC auctions or something ... then replaced the serial stickers so it couldn't be traced back to their source. Worst case is straight up knock off. 

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

Most importantly- where did they ship FROM?

Regardless. No genuine Sennheiser will have identical serial numbers between two receivers. That's a major sign of a counterfeit unit- the factories making counterfeit units don't take the time to create unique serial number stickers for units.

Sounds like you're already starting the returns process through eBay-- "Item Not As Described" (You were told they were genuine, I assume!) --  Seller has to pay for return shipping. Even if you have to pay some to get it close to them (the international part) you're still better off than if you just keep them and are out the whole purchase price. You can open a case through PayPal if you need to as well-- both eBay & PayPal's policies are designed to protect the buyer (often more so than the seller, unfortunately!). ACT FAST!

As for determining if something is genuine in advance of your purchase- that's difficult. A scammer is going to have stock photos of known good product to send you, so unfortunately, if someone's determined to rip you off......... Because of that, I would advise against purchasing used product unless you know/trust the seller. Even with new product, if you're going to someplace like eBay, it's hard to know if the seller is legitimate or not. It's smart to stick with "known" major retailers; i.e. Sweetwater, Full Compass, etc. (That being said... being that *I* sell both Sennheiser and Shure products on eBay, to be candid, I'm not "large enough" to be a "known retailer" -- so I'm surprised I get sales at all!!) When a company name is listed (but not a website or phone number because eBay won't let us post those anymore in a listing!) you can always call the claimed-to-be-a-reseller-for-company and request verification. In my case, if you called Shure at 800-434-3350, you can confirm with them that Kelcema Audio is indeed an authorized retailer.

I don't have the precise details, but both Shure and Sennheiser can help you with determining if a purchased used product is genuine or not. They have plenty of indicators that they look for.

Good luck and hope you can get your money back!

-Ray "Has been ripped off on eBay with counterfeit Sennheiser before" Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:40 AM »

I would send them back even though you would loose some money, but not all.
Also,I don't believe there is a problem with selling outlawed frequency devices to other countries where the devices are legal.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

Just a reminder regarding vendors of legitimate products - Conrad is in Uganda.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 12:25:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.