ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Truck crash on Bay Bridge  (Read 1074 times)

David Allred

Re: Truck crash on Bay Bridge
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 03:22:45 pm »

I have seen a few of those on the opposite side of interstate highways. I always keep some distance from the car in front of me and look for a way out and an eye in the rear view for vehicles that dont seem to be slowing.
Same here.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »

When the full impact of what he has done hits home, that driver is going to wish it were him and not the other guy that was killed. :(

We just has a situation on a major freeway north of Toronto where a line of cars had slowed for a small accident and a tractor trailer plowed into the rear of the line.
Fire and carnage you can't imagine!
"distracted driving" was concluded.
Gotta be careful out there!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/highway-400-fatal-pileup-cookstown-1.4381540
We had another one a few years back out here involving a gasoline tanker and a tunnel   No place to go.

Growing up in Hawaii there are two tunnels from the Honolulu side to the Windward side.  Both have curves at the Windward end where traffic often comes to a sudden stop.  You try to leave enough room, flash your brakes, and still end up trying to divide between not hitting the guy in front and being hit in back.  Have not been successful a couple of times.

So I too watch out behind me as often as in front, especially when things come to a stop.  My daily commute involves a freeway with two lanes in each direction that accordions from people cutting back and forth.  The result is one lane will come to a sudden stop while the other is going 40MPH.  Have had a few close calls.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:00 pm »

Growing up in Hawaii there are two tunnels from the Honolulu side to the Windward side.  Both have curves at the Windward end where traffic often comes to a sudden stop.  You try to leave enough room, flash your brakes, and still end up trying to divide between not hitting the guy in front and being hit in back.  Have not been successful a couple of times.

Which is why the distance in front of you is as much about keeping from being hit from behind as it is not hitting th guy in front of you.  The longer you can take to stop, the more time the guy behind you has to stop.   Not that it will always help.

My employer makes crash attenuators-the devices you see on the back of maintenance trucks on the highway.  They showed us video from a camera on the back of one last week-I guy came around a curve and had at least 6-7 seconds to see this truck with an arrow board on it in his lane.  He never slowed or took evasive action-simply drove into the attenuator at 60 mph?.  The attenuator and air bags saved his life-you see him get out of the vehicle a little shaken, but no blood.  I only hope he learned his lesson making the roads safer for everyone else!
Steve Swaffer
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 14 queries.