ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Why everyone's home should have a basement  (Read 17412 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Why everyone's home should have a basement
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »

Here is a pic of my mobile saw. It's an older Craftsman with a custom base.  The left side of the base catches the sawdust behind the clean-out door. The saw features upgraded machined pulleys and arbor, anti-vibration linked belt, aftermarket paddle stop switch, new upgraded motor and a 50" Vega fence. The table features a well supported worktop that comes in handy as an additional workstation. I just ordered a router table plate for the wooden top. The saw sports Rockler lift-up workbench wheels so you can roll the saw around or set it down on rubber feet during use.

Behind the saw is my old Craftsman radial arm saw.  I just built a new cabinet for that saw and ordered more Rockler wheels so I can roll it out when needed.

To the right of the saw is my wood storage unit. It is 8' long and a little taller than 4'. It holds full or cut sheets of plywood, 2x4s and scrap wood. On the back side I store a lot of my clamps. It has wheels but normally never moves. I saw a similar home-built unit on Pinterest and copied it.

My wife and I made a deal that she gets to park her car inside the garage so my shop basically lives in the space of about 1/3 of the 3 car garage and I move her car out and position the tools and some portable workbenches as needed for each project. When not in use, the saw lives in between the wood storage unit and my Craftsman tool boxes. There is enough room to get into all the boxes and even use the saw in that position to cut smaller pieces.

In the spring I am building a 10x18 shed that will get a lot of the yard items out of my garage and include a dog washing area for our three pups who seems to find every mud puddle during walks!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:15:54 AM by Craig Leerman »
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »

Craig,

I'm green with envy. A 3 car garage in a warm part of the country, and best of all some of the nicest best laid out storage and shop tools I've ever seen. Super work Craig and the organization is beyond reproach.

My basement, like I said above, is 100+ years old. Most of it was dirt when I bought the house, some with no foundation, and a giant stone and concrete chimney system on the far end in the middle. That's where I do the majority of my wood working and electronics work. The rest is dedicated to music and sound.

My plan is to take the radial arm saw off of the kitchen cabinet it sits on and make an 8' bench to support the radial saw, one cutoff saw, and a portion to be used for a router table. If I'm clever I can match the fences for those 3 tools so that if I drop the tools, or raise the saws the bench can be used for the tool being used without interference. What say you?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »

Thanks for the kind words Bob, but don’t get too green as it gets cold up here in Reno.  Frost on the ground last few days.  I had to buy a propane shop heater last week to get the garage warm enough to paint some trunks.

I wish I had a space like you have for music. ( plus you have a way better collection of old Fender amps!) I wanted to kick one of the kids out of their bedroom and turn that into a music room but the family nixed that idea. 😀 

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

Basement?? I don't have a garage either...   ::)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:45 AM »

Basement?? I don't have a garage either...   ::)

JR

No basement, no garage??? How could life be worth living?

Craig,
They eventually grow up and leave. There's always hope. I use 220v electric garage heaters in the basement. I can't wait for Santa, and I have the whole week off.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »

Basement?? I don't have a garage either... 

Same here.  I would like both.  And I certainly wouldn't put a car in a garage.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 03:50:59 PM »

No basement, no garage??? How could life be worth living?

Craig,
They eventually grow up and leave. There's always hope. I use 220v electric garage heaters in the basement. I can't wait for Santa, and I have the whole week off.

You have time off?  Slacker...

I have unintended time off this week, 2 event cancellations and now too late to get on one of the Nutcracker crews.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »

Same here.  I would like both.  And I certainly wouldn't put a car in a garage.

Ga•rage (noun) — a $20,000 building holding $500 worth of junk while $100,000 of equipment sits in the rain.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »

You have time off?  Slacker...

I have unintended time off this week, 2 event cancellations and now too late to get on one of the Nutcracker crews.

One of the Nutcracker crews?  This weekend is the last of three separate (local!) Nutcracker productions. I'm lucky to get the music out of my head by New Years....
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.