ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Why everyone's home should have a basement  (Read 17425 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: Why everyone's home should have a basement
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:10 PM »

Basements are rare here in Reno but I do have a wood shop in my garage with a few Craftsman tool boxes. There are 3 in a row along the woodshop Wall next to an older Husky workbench/toolbox. There is also my old Kennedy box from when I was a machinist at Westinghouse Defense ( now Northrop Grumman) and a few smaller Husky portable boxes. The electric repair bench in the main shop also has a big 3 box Craftsman and a smaller Husky and I’m still out of space for tool storage. 

Terry the dinosaur is currently the shop mascot. He used to be in my back yard in Vegas but I have not installed him yet so he is now in the way in the shop. His full name is Terry Dactle, even though he is not one.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »

That's a great looking and well organized shop Craig. Look's like Terry is getting ready to pull some tools for the job. Tell him I say "Hello". Nothing like having lot's of drawers and bins.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 07:43:14 PM »

Thanks Bob.

I hate having to run to the store and get a fastener to finish a project so I try and stock the most common stuff, but even with all my hardware I’m at Home Depot at least once a week to pickup something I didn’t stock, or replenish my inventory.

Terry did help handing out candy for Halloween (that’s why he is carrying a bucket) but mostly he is just in the way.

I’ll try and get a pic of my table saw and wood storage roller tomorrow. The saw has wheels that can raise up for moving, or set it down on rubber feet for use. It’s got a 50” Vega fence and a custom designed base with a sawdust compartment.

I just ordered another set of wheels from Rockler for my radial arm saw as well.

I have a 3 car garage but my wife parks inside so I have to store everything in one side of the garage. I pull her car out and then I can set up the saws, portable bench or sawhorses and get projects done. This past week I build 3 small trunks that house light bars with 4 small LED cans on each.

I need another garage or two and possibly a basement.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

GenePink

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 10:44:36 PM »

Terry the dinosaur is currently the shop mascot. He used to be in my back yard in Vegas but I have not installed him yet so he is now in the way in the shop. His full name is Terry Dactle, even though he is not one.
Perhaps you should mount a candelabra sized light socket in Terry's nose, find a red spherical bulb in the 40 watt range, thread it in, and have Terry the red nosed Dactle on your front lawn this time of year. ;)

Gene

John Fruits

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 07:07:30 AM »

Since pterodactyls have been mentioned, they make me think of a very handy scenic device, the periaktoi (one by itself is a periaktos).  They are popular for school productions taking place in what I call Thingamatoriums (both with and without vomitoriums).  They consist of three flats connected in a triangle, usually on casters.  This allows three painted scenes to be quickly and easily changed.  In the US several users have dubbed them pterodactyls.  In the UK it seems they are called Toblerones or Tobes for short.  If you want to know why, it's a great excuse to have to buy a chocolate bar.  OK, enough blather from me.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:25 AM »

Perhaps you should mount a candelabra sized light socket in Terry's nose, find a red spherical bulb in the 40 watt range, thread it in, and have Terry the red nosed Dactle on your front lawn this time of year. ;)

Gene

Guess what tune's now going round & round in my head, thanks to you!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

Guess what tune's now going round & round in my head, thanks to you!

It could be worse - you could be the handicapped fellow who was stuck on Disney's "It's a Small World" attraction when the gondola-moving apparatus broke down.  Other riders were removed but because of his disability, Disney workers decided it was safer to leave him in the gondola.  Disney's Animatronic displays (at least at Disneyland) cannot be shut down, so this chap was stuck for almost 4 hours while the ride was repaired.

"It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all......"  for 4 hours?  He sued for mental suffering.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:32 PM »

It could be worse - you could be the handicapped fellow who was stuck on Disney's "It's a Small World" attraction when the gondola-moving apparatus broke down.  Other riders were removed but because of his disability, Disney workers decided it was safer to leave him in the gondola.  Disney's Animatronic displays (at least at Disneyland) cannot be shut down, so this chap was stuck for almost 4 hours while the ride was repaired.

"It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all......"  for 4 hours?  He sued for mental suffering.
Tim:  You're bringing back memories of several successive all-nighters in the dual bucket of a zoom boom above a 'Koo-doo' kiosk within an enclosed shopping mall.  Oh how many times I wanted to drop something HEAVY on that darned 'Koo-doo' contraption.  A number of times I seriously considered looking for a breaker panel and hoping for a labelled breaker.  My employer would drop in without warning in the middle of the night and remind me he was paying me to complete his overhead installation, NOT to wander about looking for ways to silence 'Mr. Koo-doo', whatever he was officially called.  I guess 'Mr. Koo-doo' was a good attention-getter for garnering the attention of shoppers bustling by but in the middle of the night in a comparatively silent mall phuquing 'Mr. Koo-doo' was more than mildly annoying and that's putting it mildly.
EDIT:  In Canada "Koo-do"  (Pronounced 'Koo-Doo' is associated with Telus.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:24:33 PM by Ron Hebbard »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2017, 05:35:22 PM »

Continuing the swerve:  In my youth working in a music store, we had an off-site display set up for selling those cheap organs with the built in rhythm and one finger accompaniment.  Each of us had to put in our time at some mall demoing the things and trying to sell some.  Boring as all get out and folks shopping for clothes or whatever weren't really interested in some cheesy organ.  So we would go down there and try to come up with songs to play and smile for 4 hours.  The folks in surrounding shops would come out and thank us for playing something interesting and complain about one guy who played the same simple tune all day long.  He was actually a good musician, having played drums for Pearl Bailey and others.  He sold way more there than anyone else too.  He explained that when the rest of us played music folks walking by looked at it like a concert, something they couldn't do.  But when he played his insipid Lady of Spain with one finger on each hand, people walking by would think that they could do that, and he'd hook them in.  Poor folks in surrounding shops just had to listen to it all day.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »

Thanks Bob.

I hate having to run to the store and get a fastener to finish a project so I try and stock the most common stuff, but even with all my hardware I’m at Home Depot at least once a week to pickup something I didn’t stock, or replenish my inventory.

Terry did help handing out candy for Halloween (that’s why he is carrying a bucket) but mostly he is just in the way.

I’ll try and get a pic of my table saw and wood storage roller tomorrow. The saw has wheels that can raise up for moving, or set it down on rubber feet for use. It’s got a 50” Vega fence and a custom designed base with a sawdust compartment.

I just ordered another set of wheels from Rockler for my radial arm saw as well.

I have a 3 car garage but my wife parks inside so I have to store everything in one side of the garage. I pull her car out and then I can set up the saws, portable bench or sawhorses and get projects done. This past week I build 3 small trunks that house light bars with 4 small LED cans on each.

I need another garage or two and possibly a basement.

My table saw is a Bosch with that really nice lift under it. I also have a 100% cast iron table mounted DeWalt radial arm saw, and two or three 12" cutoff saws. You can't have enough saws. I spent some time looking for Fender cabinet plans today without much success.

How about the Salvation Army bell ringers??? I always donate, but did you know they're not allowed to stop ringing the GD bell. Nothing like going to your mall and the wife says "I'll meet you outside of Sears." Of course, that's where the bell ringer lives. Kill me....PLEASE.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 06:08:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.