ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Why everyone's home should have a basement  (Read 17327 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Why everyone's home should have a basement
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:36:49 PM »

Guy's (and gal's) like us tend to acquire plenty of stuff in a life time, and the usual task of finding what you need for a job, for work, or play, or for home repair, can be not only time consuming, but wasteful. Wasteful because if you don't have the tool or part for the job you'll end up buying it again, even knowing you have that part or tool "somewhere".

Enter the northeast, land of the house with a basement, that wonderful world where Mom puts her washer and dryer, and you put everything else.

My basement is sort of a strange shape due to the house being built over 100 years ago. But the walls are concrete, it's pretty good size, and the sound can be as loud as I want.... AS LOUD AS I WANT.

The biggest problem I've had over the years is the constant use of the basement for music/sound, and sharing the basement with my studio/practice area, wood shop, parts, amp repair, and tools. My first decent tool box was from Sears, and it was a gift from my wife 43 years ago. I ran out of space in that box 20 years ago, and then the use of bags, boxes, drawers and any available surface became common practice. Until recently....

My wife decided enough was enough, told me to buy a new tool box, and put the rest of the sh** where it belongs. So I've spent the last month or so cleaning, sorting and putting things away.

The box I bought was a Craftsman, and I bought it after comparing it to Snap-on, and the rest of the quality tool cabinets. The Craftsman is stainless, holds 200lbs per drawer, 2500lbs total, ball bearings, 2 power/USB strips, padded drawers, and BLUE TOOTH locks. Casters are 6"x2" and the box will roll with a single hand fully loaded. By comparison a Snap-on of equal quality was almost three (3) times more expensive, and to be honest, the Craftsman just looks better. Craftsman chests are made in the USA by Waterloo, and this chest cost $1860.00.

The shelves in the picture are made using cardboard part bins available on Amazon, and those shelves you buy for clothes closets, but turned upside down so there's a catch lip. Each shelve cost about $14-$15 to make. Shelves are supported on each end with support in the middle back where it can't be seen.

Benches for audio and guitar work are all maple topped and go for about $400 each.

So that's why everyone needs a basement. Have fun.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:41:16 PM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Why everyone's home should have a basement
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 06:03:19 PM »

Nice chest Bob. I only have red & gray ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »

Well, this is the Basement forum.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:40 AM »

Guy's (and gal's) like us tend to acquire plenty of stuff in a life time, and the usual task of finding what you need for a job, for work, or play, or for home repair, can be not only time consuming, but wasteful. Wasteful because if you don't have the tool or part for the job you'll end up buying it again, even knowing you have that part or tool "somewhere".

Enter the northeast, land of the house with a basement, that wonderful world where Mom puts her washer and dryer, and you put everything else.

My basement is sort of a strange shape due to the house being built over 100 years ago. But the walls are concrete, it's pretty good size, and the sound can be as loud as I want.... AS LOUD AS I WANT.

...So that's why everyone needs a basement. Have fun.
My problem with basements is that it's really easy to get stuff down the stairs in into them, but the desire to haul stuff back up and out disappears fast.
Resulting in large piles of stuff that will probably still be there when they demolish the building in the future.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Lyle Williams

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 06:46:48 AM »

My problem with basements is that it's really easy to get stuff down the stairs in into them, but the desire to haul stuff back up and out disappears fast.
Resulting in large piles of stuff that will probably still be there when they demolish the building in the future.

Same applies to the basement forum.  :-)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »

Unless you have a back door level with the paved walkway that leads to the driveway like I have. Many people have what's known around here as a bulkhead. It still means stairs, but at least it's a direct out to the outside world. My biggest problem is that I live on a hill, a very steep hill, and things tend to want to roll away. Then there's the time I rolled a box truck up too far and ripped out the phone and electrical leading to the house. Another time, another story.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 08:49:24 AM by Bob Leonard »
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 08:46:29 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.