ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Event Video Recording  (Read 4674 times)

Curtis Smith

Live Event Video Recording
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to find out what is used now for capturing live events.  I know that is a very generic statement so let me express my situation.

We record the weekly Sunday morning service to be later uploaded to our streaming service.  Due to bandwidth limitations, we are unable to stream live, or directly to the service for later publication.  The process we have today is using a DataVideo SE-500 (http://www.datavideo.com/product/SE-500) to live switch between our video sources.  An s-video signal is send from the Video Mixer to a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES15 (https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/panasonic-diga-dmr-es15-dvd-recorder-dmres15s/review/) which is, of course, recorded to DVD.  After the service we then rip the video from the DVD and perform any necessary editing on PC prior to uploading to the streaming service.

We are a small to mid-sized church, so this solution has worked OK for us for quite some time; however, the DVD Recorder is now starting to flake out on us. I have searched the web but it seems that HDD, DVR, and DVD Recorders are now a thing of the past.  Most of the systems I find are for Video Surveillance rather than recording live events.  It also seems that the bulk of it is done through direct live streaming, which is not an option for us.

What I am interested in is a solution that had internal storage where video can be captured and then offloaded either over an Ethernet network, Burning to DVD, or maybe copy to USB, but I can't seem to find such a device.  Maybe I just don't know what it's called to look for it.  In the end I need something that will be able to capture the video so it can then be offloaded for edit and then upload.  Currently it will need to support s-video, but I would like for it to support current connectors such as HDMI to support an upgrade path for our solution.

Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated, even if that help is, your looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Curtis

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Live Event Video Recording
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 04:01:04 AM »

Hi Curtis, and welcome to the LAB forums.

Start here:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 04:21:41 AM »

Hello Everyone,
I am trying to find out what is used now for capturing live events.  I know that is a very generic statement so let me express my situation.

We record the weekly Sunday morning service to be later uploaded to our streaming service.  Due to bandwidth limitations, we are unable to stream live, or directly to the service for later publication.  The process we have today is using a DataVideo SE-500 (http://www.datavideo.com/product/SE-500) to live switch between our video sources.  An s-video signal is send from the Video Mixer to a Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-ES15 (https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/panasonic-diga-dmr-es15-dvd-recorder-dmres15s/review/) which is, of course, recorded to DVD.  After the service we then rip the video from the DVD and perform any necessary editing on PC prior to uploading to the streaming service.

We are a small to mid-sized church, so this solution has worked OK for us for quite some time; however, the DVD Recorder is now starting to flake out on us. I have searched the web but it seems that HDD, DVR, and DVD Recorders are now a thing of the past.  Most of the systems I find are for Video Surveillance rather than recording live events.  It also seems that the bulk of it is done through direct live streaming, which is not an option for us.

What I am interested in is a solution that had internal storage where video can be captured and then offloaded either over an Ethernet network, Burning to DVD, or maybe copy to USB, but I can't seem to find such a device.  Maybe I just don't know what it's called to look for it.  In the end I need something that will be able to capture the video so it can then be offloaded for edit and then upload.  Currently it will need to support s-video, but I would like for it to support current connectors such as HDMI to support an upgrade path for our solution.

Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated, even if that help is, your looking for the wrong thing.

Thanks,

Curtis

You can update your switcher to HD at the same time.  Pickup a Blackmagic Television Studio HD and a Hyperdeck recorder for under 2k and it fits in 1U.  Record direct to SD cards.  Or you could skip the dedicated recorder and get either a Thunderbolt for a laptop or PCI capture card and be under $1500.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:28:58 AM »

I’ve streamed 720p with as little as 1.5 mbps of upload speed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curtis Smith

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:09:11 PM »

Thanks you everyone for your replies.  I apologize for the slow follow-up.  I was having trouble getting logged back into the forum.  I am familiar with the BlackMagic Products, and absolutely love them.  Unfortunately we are not financially able to upgrade to such a solution at this time in such a short timeframe.  I am definitely keeping it on the list for the future, but for the short term, I am utilizing a PC based solution as mentioned by Scott.  I am using a USB attached Capture device and recording straight to the PC we use for editing and upload.

Thanks again,

Curtis

Alexandre Benterud

• Amtor Sound Co.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

At The Ranch Saloon down here in Anaheim we use an Extron SMP 351 to both record and live stream:
https://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=smp351&s=5

It will record to the built in hard drive AND a USB flashdrive simultaneously, all while also live streaming.  It has two input groups so you can also do PIP between two sources.

You can also set it up to automatically FTP the MP4 file to a network storage location after each recording to make it faster/easier to get to your PC editing phase of your workflow.

I prefer a dedicated hardware solution like this instead of relying on the hassles of a computer with a capture card.

You can tune into the live stream Wednesday through Sunday from about 6PM Pacific Time til Midnight.
http://theranch.com/saloon/live/index.aspx

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:27:36 PM by Alexandre Benterud »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.