ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What ratio of sub to top are people using with JBL SRX  (Read 7118 times)

Ben Polius

What ratio of sub to top are people using with JBL SRX
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:38:09 AM »

I know this is totally subjective, but when I ordered this system the guy at Harman looked at me strangely and said “that’s a lot of sub for those tops, are you sure?”

Now I was under the impression 1x srx835 would ourrun 2x srx818, maybe even 3, but coverage would be limited.

What are your experiences?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: What ratio of sub to top are people using with JBL SRX
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 08:45:36 AM »

I know this is totally subjective, but when I ordered this system the guy at Harman looked at me strangely and said “that’s a lot of sub for those tops, are you sure?”

Now I was under the impression 1x srx835 would ourrun 2x srx818, maybe even 3, but coverage would be limited.

What are your experiences?
What is your target volume?  If you want to run SRX835ps to their full capacity, you will need at least 2 SRX828sp per side, maybe more, depending on musical genre.  That's not a weakness of the SRX subs, but rather a reflection on low frequencies being a harder physics problem.  This ratio holds with every other speaker system, too.  That's the wrong way to approach this, however.  If your target volume is 90dB at 50' from the speakers, you will need considerably less than that. 

Keep in mind that with the SRX835ps, they are 60° speakers, so for coverage you may need 2 per side even if you don't need that many for volume. 

Ben Polius

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »

What is your target volume?  If you want to run SRX835ps to their full capacity, you will need at least 2 SRX828sp per side, maybe more, depending on musical genre.  That's not a weakness of the SRX subs, but rather a reflection on low frequencies being a harder physics problem.  This ratio holds with every other speaker system, too.  That's the wrong way to approach this, however.  If your target volume is 90dB at 50' from the speakers, you will need considerably less than that. 

Keep in mind that with the SRX835ps, they are 60° speakers, so for coverage you may need 2 per side even if you don't need that many for volume.
That was my feeling exactly. I thought 4x 18’s per side and 1 top per side, 2 tops where more coverage is needed. For my first gig with it I’m going to use 2x18’s and 1xtop per side, I’m going to angle the tops in to the audience area as it’s a fairly small space.

The guys at JBL we’re hinting toward 1x18 per 835. This didn’t seem right to me so I ignored them when I ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

That was my feeling exactly. I thought 4x 18’s per side and 1 top per side, 2 tops where more coverage is needed. For my first gig with it I’m going to use 2x18’s and 1xtop per side, I’m going to angle the tops in to the audience area as it’s a fairly small space.

The guys at JBL we’re hinting toward 1x18 per 835. This didn’t seem right to me so I ignored them when I ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First you said "the guys at Harman" then you said "the guys at JBL" since they don't sell direct just who exactly are you talking to?   Who are you buying from?  If you are ordering small quantity and not buying from Mike Pyle more than likely you are paying too much.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:37:53 PM »

I believe Ben is based in the UK, so the "usual channels" us colonists use might not be available to him over there. The JBL/Harman distribution structure may be different. [Understood he's still not buying DIRECT from Harman, but he might also have talked to application engineers at Harman before actually buying...]

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »

Might want to check out this thread....http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,164536.msg1515967.html#msg1515967
It a guy's experiences... saying what Scott's saying...

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 01:08:57 PM »

I believe Ben is based in the UK, so the "usual channels" us colonists use might not be available to him over there. The JBL/Harman distribution structure may be different. [Understood he's still not buying DIRECT from Harman, but he might also have talked to application engineers at Harman before actually buying...]

-Ray

Ahhhh.....That damn US bias kicking in.

Speaking of SRX, I had never seen the 828's stacked horizontal with two 825's on top like you have on your home page.  It stacked nice, good height with the stage.  Something new to try when the lawn season kicks off again.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »

Ahhhh.....That damn US bias kicking in.

Speaking of SRX, I had never seen the 828's stacked horizontal with two 825's on top like you have on your home page.  It stacked nice, good height with the stage.  Something new to try when the lawn season kicks off again.
*technically* those are 725s and 728s. :-p

[And to be fair.... I might have 'borrowed' that photo when I was doing the re-design of my site. My 725s don't look that nice... My newer 728s do, though.]

It IS a good setup, and gets the height needed. As you know, though, everything matters based on the actual logistics of the show. My typical SRX rig is 2-over-2 per side, though. Been using that for a few shows lately where we're not flying anything, but need good power. Being all passive, it's nice being able to send just one NL4 per speaker stack.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Matthew Palmer

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 09:50:21 PM »

i was thinking of srx 828p under the srx 835p for a future investment... one stack like that per side of stage. how many people outside do you think a rig like that would cover? Possibly getting outfills too...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »

i was thinking of srx 828p under the srx 835p for a future investment... one stack like that per side of stage. how many people outside do you think a rig like that would cover? Possibly getting outfills too...

One covers *area*, not people.  Genre of music or presentation may be a limiting factor as TJ points out.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 12:32:08 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 01:11:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.