ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves.....  (Read 6824 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Waves.....
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »

Not nearly the same as Cedar, as indicated by some of the reviews I have read.
Checked out the Cedar 2 and it comes in at $4000 USD!!

Yeah.  It's brilliant.  But it's pricey...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »

- Sometimes upgrade pricing is better. For example: I bought the Horizon bundle for $349. It's telling me I can upgrade to the Mercury bundle for $916. That's $734 less than buying Mercury direct even with the sale price. The upgrades are available under My Account / Upgrade. There's also a small discount on other bundles and plugin combinations that may include plugins you are planning to buy already.
If you have any other Waves plugins, select those when you go to get your upgrade pricing, and it will include those in the discounted cost of the Mercury upgrade. With my Horizon and other Waves plugins, I could upgrade to Mercury for $627, and it will be even less through Audio Deluxe. But you have to request a custom upgrade, and list everything that you have that will apply towards that upgrade.

A few more plugins and I might get the cost of the Mercury upgrade down to a reasonable cost by Black Friday Next year.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »

I stopped paying for my Waves Update Plan, as it particularly pissed me off that I had paid for these plugins and was being asked to pay for them again. Some were really good for recording, but I've found that McDSP has been great and they do run sales from time to time to add to your collection. Also really liking SoundToys and was able to upgrade to the full bundle last year. And for reverb, look no further than Exponential Audio. Michael Carnes is a one-man shop that makes reverb plugins that destroy the competition. And for mind-shattering plugins that don't ape analog gear, SoundRadix is hard to beat - their new Powair plugin is going to be big. Saving up for that one.

On McDSP and Exponential, try out the free demos for yourself.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2017, 08:40:24 PM »

I stopped paying for my Waves Update Plan, as it particularly pissed me off that I had paid for these plugins and was being asked to pay for them again.
I've never paid for the Waves Update Plan, ever. And I have had the Gold Bundle and above for the last four years. It also kind of helps that I have been upgrading my bundles. But for the single plugins, there's nothing that the WUP will accomplish until they get to version 10 or something. It's not like they are going to add any new capabilities to the C6 or the SSL-E Channel, etc... WUP is capped at $300 per year. So if you own every plugin that Waves makes, you won't pay more than $300 anyway. And you can get discounts on the WUP through their various dealers also.

So I'll just wait until they get to version 10 or Avid comes up with some new plugin format that I need to use and then get current then. Not a big deal to me.  8)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »

And for mind-shattering plugins that don't ape analog gear, SoundRadix is hard to beat - their new Powair plugin is going to be big. Saving up for that one.

On McDSP and Exponential, try out the free demos for yourself.

I really like the SoundToys plugins. Don't like the iLok requirement though.
I've become a big fan of MeldaProduction plugins especially the EQ (which happens to be free).
My favorite noise reduction plugin is by Acon. I think it's better than the iZotope one. I have both.
Also, Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova is a great dynamic EQ. There's a free version that's very capable.
ToneBoosters' Sibalance is my favorite DeEsser.

A lot of people like FabFilter. I haven't found anything from them I have to have yet.

Definitely a lot of serious competition in that space these days. Most of those are priced every day in the ballpark that Waves are priced this weekend. Many are better than their Waves counterparts.

Obviously, none of these are as usable live as with all of the Waves supporting hardware and such but they're great for post production.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:17:08 PM by Corey Scogin »

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 07:21:29 AM »

That h-reverb is using a lot of cpu though ;-) Can’t run too many of them on my impact server.

So I gave myself the gift of more Waves licenses for my birthday (early).  The API bundle and the H Hybrid bundle; I'm looking forward to playing with the H-Reverb and the API input strip (the EQs are a bonus).
Hell yeah.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »

That h-reverb is using a lot of cpu though ;-) Can’t run too many of them on my impact server.

Two H-Verbs and an H-Delay on a Digi-grid DLS ate up about 45% of the CPU resources, I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze much more on an Impact server. They sound SO good though  8)
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

The impact server can run 8 instances of the h-reverb before choking. Not that I need that many though ;-)

And yes, it sounds good ;-)

Two H-Verbs and an H-Delay on a Digi-grid DLS ate up about 45% of the CPU resources, I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze much more on an Impact server. They sound SO good though  8)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.