ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: unbelieveable PAs in movies/TV  (Read 9204 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
unbelieveable PAs in movies/TV
« on: November 24, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »

last night I watched Peggy Sue got married, a pretty good old movie, but I noticed an odd PA speaker during a live musical performance scene.

The small stage had a pair of Bose 901s mounted up on the back wall, turned around so the rear drivers were facing forward.  I do not doubt that this was a typical old school PA system, just not in 1960 years before Bose corporation was founded and started selling the ubiquitous 901s.  ::)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: unbelieveable PAs in movies/TV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 01:29:12 PM »

last night I watched Peggy Sue got married, a pretty good old movie, but I noticed an odd PA speaker during a live musical performance scene.

The small stage had a pair of Bose 901s mounted up on the back wall, turned around so the rear drivers were facing forward.  I do not doubt that this was a typical old school PA system, just not in 1960 years before Bose corporation was founded and started selling the ubiquitous 901s.  ::)

JR

Bose had commercial speakers in the 70's that looked like that but had two  larger ports on the front to increase low end response (I presume, it did't work)  The model 802.  It looks like these are still in the catalog (albeit a later incarnation).
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:35:20 PM »

Bose had commercial speakers in the 70's that looked like that but had two  larger ports on the front to increase low end response (I presume, it did't work)  The model 802.  It looks like these are still in the catalog (albeit a later incarnation).
But not in 1960.... 

The speakers in the movies were stock old school 901s just turned around.

JR

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 02:01:44 PM »

JR
Since when did Hollywood care about being accurate?

I remember in a Doors movie, the keyboard track was clearly a B3 organ, yet he was playing a Wurlitzer piano.

But the average viewer simply doesn't care.  Just look at how many people lip sync these days, and the audience could care less-as long as they hear "their song".   :( :( :(
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »

But not in 1960.... 

The speakers in the movies were stock old school 901s just turned around.

JR
What bugs me is recent "period pieces" set in the 1950s through 1970s that use Shure Beta 58s (which were not released until the late 1980s) instead of SM 58s.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 06:26:11 PM »

What bugs me is recent "period pieces" set in the 1950s through 1970s that use Shure Beta 58s (which were not released until the late 1980s) instead of SM 58s.
There you go getting picky about small details---- :) :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nikhil Mulay

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 10:14:12 PM »

You gotta see the bollywood movies here! Compared to that Hollywood is a lesson in period accuracy

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 12:58:44 AM »

You mean Unisphere IIIs?

And Scott, Bose put those bullet ports on the home speakers as well around the same time as the "pro" boxes.  The original PA speakers didn't have them.  Just 8 speakers in a pointy black Tolex box with black grillecloth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:01:29 AM by Stephen Kirby »

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 01:27:33 AM »

You mean Unisphere IIIs?
Yes, before 1966...

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

While we can question the original design premise of 901 (and many have), but the engineering implementation was reasonably solid. The original 901 was a relatively small volume sealed box, with active EQ to complement weak LF and HF response. The later port was added to reduce the amount of headroom robbing bass boost required to square up the low end response.

Back to your original program already in process.

JR

PS: In the movie the talent was probably lip syncing too, but that could be considered acting.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.