ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Careful out there  (Read 4459 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Careful out there
« on: November 23, 2017, 12:48:34 AM »

Hellooo my fellow laborers!

Story time! Disclaimer: censored language.

I live in NICEville.

So I take off early today so I can work on cleaning my garage full of gear/junk and put shelves in and organize everything I have. Great, I got a buddy to help out. Going awesome! Started around 3pm.

Get everything out of the garage into the driveway cleaning and moving stuff. and I need an additional shelf. Now mind you I do this semi regularly and we live on a fairly busy main road.

I have my buddy stay and watch the gear in my driveway. I thought it'd be okay, but I wanted to be sure while I was gone.

I run off to Lowes and come back.

"Hey guess what happened!?"

"What?"

"You know how the motion lights go out after no motion goes on?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I was sitting on the front porch on my phone and I was pretty hidden in the dark. And this car pulls up across the street. I thought that was weird since there's no house directly across from you. Then these two black guys jump out of the car and run over here."

"What!"

"Yeah, I'm stunned, thought to myself 'are you for real doing this now?' There's tons of traffic and people I wasn't sure what to do. They get a few feet away from the gear. That's when I stood-up and the light came on. I yelled at them 'Hey motherf*ckers' and racked my pistol back. Earlier I had grabbed my pistol just in case... well I'm glad I did. Frightened, they said 'oh f*ck' and ran."

"dang dude, when did this happen?"

"Right as it got dark, maybe 20min ago around 5:10p"

----

So now I'm looking for Black Friday deals on security camera systems and led motion lighting... yay.

Stay safe y'all. Keep security in your minds even when you're not on the gig!

P.S.
Merry Thanksgiving :)

P.P.S.
Not a big deal, I'm sure they were just passing by and thought they could get a quick grab at something. Hopefully they aren't casing the joint and plan on coming back :( Can't believe something like that could happen here in my little town on a busy highway. I could have gone in for water and come out and they could have gotten away with it.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jeff Bankston

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
Re: Careful out there
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 01:55:32 PM »

If you get motion sensor lights, be sure to get the motion sensor kind, not the "always on at night" kind. I replaced our 15 year old lights and the first time had the "on all night" ones, which I discovered driving home after they didn't go out for an hour...

Check the label before purchasing. I also liked that Home Depot took both units returned no questions asked since I wanted store credit to buy the right ones.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »

I yelled at them 'Hey motherf*ckers' and racked my pistol back. Earlier I had grabbed my pistol just in case... well I'm glad I did. ve gotten away with it.
Yep...be careful out there. There are people with guns!
Heavy traffic and he is facing the road and pulls gun!
"Hey....I just called the cops" might have been just as effective, as a first response.

That aside, pretty ballsy move on their part!
Glad you didn't loose any gear or were called to court after a shooting.

I know...I know...I'm Canadian and just "don't understand"  ;)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 03:47:56 PM »

"Hey....I just called the cops" might have been just as effective, as a first response.

Calling the cops in los angeles to report an attempted theft will get you put at the back of the 911 call line and it might be the next day before the cops show up and thats IF you are not put on hold or get a busy tone when you call 911.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:48 PM »

Haha good spin on things from a different perspective.

And not to get into a political/ideological debate.

But cocking the gun caused them to run. I think that is a point in favor of guns providing safety without danger to either them or my property or my friends.

Cops clean up messes. They don't keep them from happening. IMO.

----

That aside, let me rephrase.

'heavy traffic' = don't think there's constant traffic the night before thanksgiving or that i'm on a road where there's cars at a standstill in front of my house.

The road was pretty dead & dark so I can see how they would accept the risk of being seen.

He evaluated shooting them and decided not to as it would be dangerous with houses further across the street. Also if he had to he would go for legs.

They could have been armed and without the gun would have proceeded to not care.

I'm not sure about you, but if I'm going to steel something someone saying 'I called the cops' would do nothing to keep me from taking what I want.

Anyways, probably getting a bit too political. That wasn't my aim, just that 'us crazies with gunz' use our heads before we scratch the itch on our finger ;)

---
Additionally I found out today that 3 armed men broke down a door and performed a home invasion and happened 2hrs later at another home in a nearby city (within 18miles).

---

If you get motion sensor lights, be sure to get the motion sensor kind, not the "always on at night" kind. I replaced our 15 year old lights and the first time had the "on all night" ones, which I discovered driving home after they didn't go out for an hour...

Check the label before purchasing. I also liked that Home Depot took both units returned no questions asked since I wanted store credit to buy the right ones.

Yup, All my porch/garage lights are motion. But I'm going to get some LED motion lights for the driveway & fence (beside my driveway) (since I park my trailer in the driveway) and the house light motion sensors don't sense that far. It'll also be nice for when I'm hitching up... haha.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 08:46:52 PM »

Nathan,
I had a similar issue and ended up replacing my halogen lights with the LED lights at the link below. A little pricey but these lights are unbelievably bright, and the Doppler works perfectly. One of these on the corner of my house illuminates the front of the house and stairs (75') and the entire driveway (150'). Almost like daylight. Very well built also.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-180-Degree-White-Motion-Activated-Sensor-Twin-Head-Outdoor-Integrated-LED-Security-Flood-Light-with-Doppler-Radar-MST18920DLWDF/203303757

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »

It was poor judgement on my part posting my opinion in this matter.
I shall keep my POV on gun use to myself in the future.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »

It was poor judgement on my part posting my opinion in this matter.
I shall keep my POV on gun use to myself in the future.
Isn't  that like apologizing for calling your girlfriend fat, by saying "I should not have said that, knowing that you love donuts.  I won't  call you fat next time I think it.".

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »

Coz if they'd be white dudes they would have asked politely if they could help put it all away right?  You probably want to rethink how this thread might be "too political".

Then these two black guys jump out of the car and run over here."

... That's when I stood-up and the light came on. I yelled at them 'Hey motherf*ckers' and racked my pistol back. Earlier I had grabbed my pistol just in case... well I'm glad I did. Frightened, they said 'oh f*ck' and ran."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.