ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help - bar band new PA  (Read 9454 times)

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Need Help - bar band new PA
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:24:40 PM »

Yami DXR and EV ZLX owner here. Whenever I have a band gig I'm inclined to bring the DXRs, the EVs are very nice budget powered boxes but the Yamahas are a very obvious step up in sound quality particularly in the all important vocal range. If you can afford them you won't be disappointed.. actually you will probably be shocked how good they sound.

Forest Monroe

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »

I will probably grab a DXS15 or similar sub sometime next year but we池e looking to get the new mains in December as we have a show late December and January where we will need them. I think I知 going to order the DXR10s and I guess I can always return them in 30 days or whatever. I think we値l be able to grow into these as I feel the ZLX or DBRs might not be enough for the full band

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »

I will probably grab a DXS15 or similar sub sometime next year but we池e looking to get the new mains in December as we have a show late December and January where we will need them. I think I知 going to order the DXR10s and I guess I can always return them in 30 days or whatever. I think we値l be able to grow into these as I feel the ZLX or DBRs might not be enough for the full band

Rent a sub or drag your passive gear.  What if someone in the audience is thinking of booking you for a private event or wedding?  Damage to your brand could far exceed the cost of a sub.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 08:38:17 PM »

For $200 more you can get a pair of the DXR12's which I think you will ultimately be happier with. While the difference in spec between the 10" and the 12" are not much, the 12" will prove to be a more versatile speaker in the long run. You also mention being not exactly quiet as a band, which means that you will be making the 10" speaker work that little bit more than the 12". The 12" will just give you a little more insurance at a cost that isn't that much more. Sort of goes with the buy once, cry once mantra. Food for thought.

I do believe the DXR's in either size will be a marked improvement in sound quality than your current setup. Pretty much any speaker that falls into the $700 and up category will sound and perform very well. The big plus for the DXR is that it is probably the only speaker in its price range that uses FIR tuning, which is very nice. I'm not a fan of the D-Contour thing they do, but that is at least defeatable. Any way, have fun and do fill us in after your purchase.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 11:29:22 PM »

Forest, you're in very good hands here. Don't get opinions from anyone at Guitar Center!

I work in similar venues and the there's never been a better selection of small, lightweight gear for high quality sound. The Yamaha's are indestructible, and will serve you well (the 7 year warranty say's a lot). I've used both the DSR and DXR series as mains and or monitors, and they do sound fantastic. They also go incredibly loud, and don't fall apart when you push them. I think both require a little EQ cut in the high frequencies, but just a touch of EQ will soften them up nicely. I favor two way boxes with 15's, but the 10" or 12" models will work very nicely for vocals.

You didn't mention what you use for monitors, but if you ever decide to upgrade your mains these boxes will be awesome monitors. You also didn't mention a replacement mixer, so I'm assuming that will come later when you can afford it. There are a handful of incredible digital boards available today, and they will take your sound to a new level. I've been using the Mackie DL 1608 iPad mixer for 5 years, and it has changed my world as a sound engineer. With this, and a good set of powered speakers, there is no more "rack". Digital processing, 6 monitor mixes, 2 effects with returns, all kinds of EQ, compression, gates - and everything available on every channel. The learning curve is not as steep as you might think. There are several new models available now from Behringer, Soundcraft, QSC and Allen & Heath, that many members here prefer. I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Lastly I agree with those saying you need a sub. A single powered 15 will do a pretty good job. My JBL 18" PRX sub's sound fantastic, and I can dead-lift them by the handles easily (about 90 lbs I think). I've heard good things about the newer Yamaha DXS sub's, but not good things about the DSR sub's, which is odd because the DSR two-way boxes are their top of the line in this price range. I prefer having a matched system, as they are designed to work together. The internal processing is really good, and you might be surprised at first when you find your main EQ is flat in most rooms, if not all. Good luck with your purchase decision, and be sure to come back here and let us know how it all worked out.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »

Save your money and get the DRS112. You'll be glad you did.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

Make a quick calculation of the instruments, pedal fx, amps, and than (and only than) you decide how you want to add to the quality you try to achive by bringing your other amplification...

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 08:52:10 PM »

Rent a sub or drag your passive gear.  What if someone in the audience is thinking of booking you for a private event or wedding?  Damage to your brand could far exceed the cost of a sub.
++1

Richard Penrose

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 06:36:01 AM »

Another recommendation for the Yamaha DXR's. I use the DXR15's and regularly get great comments on the quality of the FOH sound. The DXR15's have a surprising depth of bass and I regularly run bass guitar and kick drum through them. I've even run a fully miked drum kit through them with surprisingly good results. For larger gigs I add a pair of QSC KW181 subs which I love.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:52 PM »

Save your money and get the DRS112. You'll be glad you did.
The DSR is a great speaker but it's a loud vocal only box, or a great small top over subs.  Not a good general purpose bar band full range.

I did use mine in a covered horse arena along with my DXS12 and was happy with the balance at volumes the event coordinators were happy with.  We were in one corner of the arena (full of banquet tables) for post dinner dancing.  The DSRs were overkill but I wanted the vocal clarity over my K10s.

I know a couple of local first call keyboardist's using pairs of DXR10s and loving it.  As I mentioned some friends with a 3 year standing gig in a fairly small bar just got 3 of them.  One for the house and two for monitors.  Works great.  In that place a DXS12 would totally pound.  I would expect the 15 to keep up with a pair of DXR10s in a bar situation for reinforcing the kick and dealing with bleed from the bass amp and such.

ProSoundWeb Community

ツォ Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 06:21:52 PM ツサ

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.