Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Need Help - bar band new PA

(1/6) > >>

Forest Monroe:
My standard rock bar band plays about 1/2 times a month at local watering holes.  Weird size rooms of typically 50-100 people, not large by any means.  We aren't a quiet band, although we have tried at times to run everything through the PA and reduce our stage volume. 

Our current setup is 2 crown amps, yamaha mixer, 2 yamaha s115v and a yamaha 18 sub.  The setup worked great when we were a larger band playing larger venues but as we are now just 3/4 guys, we have stopped dragging the sub around and we only use the PA for vocals. 

We want to ditch the amps, the rack and all the heavy gear and get 2 new powered speakers (with the idea to get a sub in the future to return to micing things) but right now they will be mainly for vocals.  I have gotten so many mixed opinions from guitar center, forums, friends, sound guys that I really have no idea what we need/what is overkill.  At this point I am considering 2 Yamaha DBR12s, 2 Yamaha DXR10s, or 2 EV ZLX12Ps.  Those are what work in our price range.  I'm leaning towards the DXR10 but was told by someone it would be overkill.  Does 10/12 driver size matter much, and would we be better off saving money and going with the DBR or ZLX?

Robert Piascik:
You're going to get varied opinions here too but before you get any responses you'll need to fix your log in name to your real name per the rules! Thanks!

Tim McCulloch:
Real, full names (first & last) are required to post in the live forums.  Return to your profile and change the Displayed Name field to your actual name or forum moderators will lock your topic.

Forest Monroe:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on November 22, 2017, 11:48:30 AM ---Real, full names (first & last) are required to post in the live forums.  Return to your profile and change the Displayed Name field to your actual name or forum moderators will lock your topic.

--- End quote ---

Appreciate it

Dave Garoutte:
DXR10s are great.  Nice sound, good warranty, good value.
Having a good quality, high powered speaker doesn't mean you have to turn it up.
If you upsize later, they make good monitors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version