ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help - bar band new PA  (Read 9331 times)

Forest Monroe

Need Help - bar band new PA
« on: November 22, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »

My standard rock bar band plays about 1/2 times a month at local watering holes.  Weird size rooms of typically 50-100 people, not large by any means.  We aren't a quiet band, although we have tried at times to run everything through the PA and reduce our stage volume. 

Our current setup is 2 crown amps, yamaha mixer, 2 yamaha s115v and a yamaha 18 sub.  The setup worked great when we were a larger band playing larger venues but as we are now just 3/4 guys, we have stopped dragging the sub around and we only use the PA for vocals. 

We want to ditch the amps, the rack and all the heavy gear and get 2 new powered speakers (with the idea to get a sub in the future to return to micing things) but right now they will be mainly for vocals.  I have gotten so many mixed opinions from guitar center, forums, friends, sound guys that I really have no idea what we need/what is overkill.  At this point I am considering 2 Yamaha DBR12s, 2 Yamaha DXR10s, or 2 EV ZLX12Ps.  Those are what work in our price range.  I'm leaning towards the DXR10 but was told by someone it would be overkill.  Does 10/12 driver size matter much, and would we be better off saving money and going with the DBR or ZLX?

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Need Help - bar band new PA
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 11:46:57 AM »

You're going to get varied opinions here too but before you get any responses you'll need to fix your log in name to your real name per the rules! Thanks!
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »

Real, full names (first & last) are required to post in the live forums.  Return to your profile and change the Displayed Name field to your actual name or forum moderators will lock your topic.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Forest Monroe

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »

Real, full names (first & last) are required to post in the live forums.  Return to your profile and change the Displayed Name field to your actual name or forum moderators will lock your topic.

Appreciate it

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:40 PM »

DXR10s are great.  Nice sound, good warranty, good value.
Having a good quality, high powered speaker doesn't mean you have to turn it up.
If you upsize later, they make good monitors.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:19:24 PM »

Appreciate it

YW.  Thanks for taking care of it so quickly.

I have a pair of DBR12 and they're nice enough for the price, but... my use is more background music and announcements, maybe a little variety/talent show stuff for audiences of 200 or so in a small area.  For a live band I think I'd end up disappointed if they were my primary speakers and adding a sub or 2 would be an absolute requirement for anything except vocals only.  Remember that all your stage sound sources - drums, bass and guitar rigs - will bleed into the vocal mics and get amplified whether your intend for them to or not.  Not probably damaging levels, but still in the PA as unwanted signals.

I suggest you consider moving up the Yamaha food chain and look at the DXR and DSR lines.  The price difference between the 10" and 12" isn't huge and I'd favor the 12" for use without a subwoofer, even for vocals-only.  Both the DSR and DXR get a lot of love from users here in the LAB Lounge and the 7 year warranty is icing on the cake.

Are you located in a community where you can rent some of the speakers you're considering?  Paying a couple of rentals can save you from making an expensive mistake.

You might want to search the forums for opinions on the Turbosound offerings, too.  We've had a couple of users giving good reports on different models.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:25:09 PM »

YW.  Thanks for taking care of it so quickly.

I have a pair of DBR12 and they're nice enough for the price, but... my use is more background music and announcements, maybe a little variety/talent show stuff for audiences of 200 or so in a small area.  For a live band I think I'd end up disappointed if they were my primary speakers and adding a sub or 2 would be an absolute requirement for anything except vocals only.  Remember that all your stage sound sources - drums, bass and guitar rigs - will bleed into the vocal mics and get amplified whether your intend for them to or not.  Not probably damaging levels, but still in the PA as unwanted signals.

I suggest you consider moving up the Yamaha food chain and look at the DXR and DSR lines.  The price difference between the 10" and 12" isn't huge and I'd favor the 12" for use without a subwoofer, even for vocals-only.  Both the DSR and DXR get a lot of love from users here in the LAB Lounge and the 7 year warranty is icing on the cake.

Are you located in a community where you can rent some of the speakers you're considering?  Paying a couple of rentals can save you from making an expensive mistake.

You might want to search the forums for opinions on the Turbosound offerings, too.  We've had a couple of users giving good reports on different models.

Hmm...a local band I'm friends with have started NOT bringing a sub(s) to club gigs. My reaction..WTF?? Nothing like a bass amp and no subs for kick.

Forest Monroe

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 12:34:02 PM »

Hmm...a local band I'm friends with have started NOT bringing a sub(s) to club gigs. My reaction..WTF?? Nothing like a bass amp and no subs for kick.

Ya, I feel the same way, unfortunately our crappy bar gigs don't justify lugging an 18, crossover, and full rack.  Admittedly, we have gotten lazy, but we just do this for fun.  We would use the funds from the next gig to grab a powered sub and get back to miking the kick and DI bass.  I'm leaning towards the DXR10 as mains now....I think I can convince everybody to step up from the DBR, what is the main difference between the 10 and 12?

Jay Marr

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »

Ya, I feel the same way, unfortunately our crappy bar gigs don't justify lugging an 18, crossover, and full rack.  Admittedly, we have gotten lazy, but we just do this for fun.  We would use the funds from the next gig to grab a powered sub and get back to miking the kick and DI bass.  I'm leaning towards the DXR10 as mains now....I think I can convince everybody to step up from the DBR, what is the main difference between the 10 and 12?

There are lots of powered compact 18" subs (QSC KW118 is a good example).  No rack or external xover needed.  Also will take the place of one of your tripods, so it doesn't take up additional stage/room space.
For a small rock band, I would never gig without a sub.  Kick drum sounds like an Iron Maiden tape being played in a 78 Dodge Dart.

DXR10 will do you very well (in that price range).

Pair of those, one single 18" sub, and a small digital mixer will fit in any SUV and is 2-3 trips in the door.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »

There are decent 15" powered subs out there.
Yammy DXS15 plays well with the DXRs.
Smaller and lighter than an 18.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:47:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.