ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 Channel Clearcom Wiring  (Read 4641 times)

Matt Bauer

• Austin, TX
2 Channel Clearcom Wiring
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:37:58 PM »

When installing 6 pin XLR's in custom plates for 2 channel Clearcom systems, is there a color code/wiring scheme to apply? Are seperate shields necessary when the whole system will contain only 2 channel beltpacks?  The only info I've found is for the Clearcom WP-6 which appears to have a capacitor between the shield and connector chassis. What is common practice?

Thanks in advance,

MB

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: 2 Channel Clearcom Wiring
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:13 AM »

http://www.clearcom.com/upload/download/Clear-Com_WP-6_Wiring.pdf

And I hope to god you aren't installing more than one or two at that job site.

(Local building I've been working in is wired exclusively with 6-pin for intercom, and has nothing but 6-pin cable and two channel packs. Worst example of scamming the customer I've ever seen. Not your problem, but it still pisses me off.)
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Matt Bauer

• Austin, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »

http://www.clearcom.com/upload/download/Clear-Com_WP-6_Wiring.pdf

And I hope to god you aren't installing more than one or two at that job site.

(Local building I've been working in is wired exclusively with 6-pin for intercom, and has nothing but 6-pin cable and two channel packs. Worst example of scamming the customer I've ever seen. Not your problem, but it still pisses me off.)

Only 1 or 2?? I wish! NOT our design... I think I must be overthinking this a bit. Just don't want to get into noise issues or anything down the road.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »

Only 1 or 2?? I wish! NOT our design... I think I must be overthinking this a bit. Just don't want to get into noise issues or anything down the road.
  Matt; Be certain you realize there are two different, non-compatible / non-intermateable, formats of 6 contact, XLR style connectors.  Clear Com standardized on the Switchcraft 6 contact format NOT the Cannon format.  You want to know this BEFORE you've installed and terminated all of your six contact connectors. 
Neutrik, smart folks that they are, offer six contact connectors in BOTH formats. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Bob Vaughan

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:58 PM »

Matt; Be certain you realize there are two different, non-compatible / non-intermateable, formats of 6 contact, XLR style connectors.  Clear Com standardized on the Switchcraft 6 contact format NOT the Cannon format.  You want to know this BEFORE you've installed and terminated all of your six contact connectors. 
Neutrik, smart folks that they are, offer six contact connectors in BOTH formats. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I think Neutrik is actually the culprit here, and the non-Switchcraft version should probably be known as Neutrik format, and the Switchcraft version should be known as the standard format.

There was only one format until Neutrik modified the existing (standard) format so as to make the 5 and 6 pin connectors incompatible. Both Switchcraft and Cannon were selling XLR6 connectors in the standard format long before this occurred..

Cannon offers Neutrik format connectors as the XLR-6A, in addition to the original XLR-6.

Amphenol offers only Neutrik format, also designated XLR-6A.

Switchcraft offers only standard format.

Nautrik offers Neutrik format, as well as standard format connectors designated as 6S.

Clear-Com's use of the original 6 pin format may predate Neutrik's introduction of the incompatible Neutrik format.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:30:41 PM by Bob Vaughan »

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »

I think Neutrik is actually the culprit here, and the non-Switchcraft version should probably be known as Neutrik format, and the Switchcraft version should be known as the standard format.

There was only one format until Neutrik modified the existing (standard) format so as to make the 5 and 6 pin connectors incompatible. Both Switchcraft and Cannon were selling XLR6 connectors in the standard format long before this occurred..

Cannon offers Neutrik format connectors as the XLR-6A, in addition to the original XLR-6.

Amphenol offers only Neutrik format, also designated XLR-6A.

Switchcraft offers only standard format.

Neutrik offers Neutrik format, as well as standard format connectors designated as 6S.

Clear-Com's use of the original 6 pin format may predate Neutrik's introduction of the incompatible Neutrik format.
  I believe Cannon was offering their original 6 contact format, and were listing it in their catalogs, BEFORE ClearCom standardized on Switchcraft's non-compatible 6 contact format.  Either way, it's not worth debating. 
My point is:  Purchasers / installers NEED to be aware of the existence of the two differing, non-intermateable formats and be sure they have the correct format connectors for their purposes regardless of manufacturer. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Matt Bauer

• Austin, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to stop by and say THANKS for the info above. It was certainly a gotcha for us but it's all in and working perfectly. Happy new year!

MB

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:04:13 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.