ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL SRX 818 and 828 together  (Read 5959 times)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
JBL SRX 818 and 828 together
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:23:01 PM »

I've just ordered a SRX828SP to add to my current pair of 818's, and trying to understand all my options for deployment.
I was tempted to just buy 2 more 818's, but the 828's are much better value per box locally.

I like using my 818's as FOH stands, things are much neater (and hopefully safer) without tripods around punters.

I'm wondering if anybody has experience mounting a single 18" on top of a double 18", then still using a distance rod to mount the FOH speaker on top. This would make a triangle looking stack.
Here's a rough example of one (perhaps bad) option I have in mind:

{*}
      |
    <*>
 <*><*>
I expect that I will need to strap the top sub down tight to the bottom one.
Note: I haven't even tried this in my garage yet, and I don't always have much time to sound check in venues, so really want to walk in with a firm plan of action.

This would be for indoor venues, so top of the FOH cab will be approx. 5' from the ground.
Bigger venues or outdoors, I will experiment with either having the 828 in the centre of the stage, or also standing it upright next to one side's 818.
Depending on stage height it might make a foldback stand somewhere in the centre of the stage, but I need to better understand how spacing subs like this would impact the low freq on stage and for the crowd.

I may just decide to always cluster 3 subs on one side and have 1 on the other.

Any insight is welcome.

Cheers,
Callan
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 10:47:51 PM by Callan Browne »
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: 818 stacked on a 828?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »

I would imagine by just the weight of the 818 alone, would keep it quite stable. I would cheat a little and move the 828's out a little so that the feet cups line up with the feet of the 818. This should leave about a 2' gap between the 828's, which may or may not have adverse effects? An idea anyway.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Jay Marr

Re: 818 stacked on a 828?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:48:34 PM »

I'm not saying you shouldn't strap the 818 to the 828, but I don't see why (without a strap) it would be any less stable than if the 818 was on the floor?
And the fact that you likely need shorter pole, I think there would be less likelihood of tipping, than just the 818 on the floor.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: JBL SRX 818 and 828 together?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »

I'm not saying you shouldn't strap the 818 to the 828, but I don't see why (without a strap) it would be any less stable than if the 818 was on the floor?
And the fact that you likely need shorter pole, I think there would be less likelihood of tipping, than just the 818 on the floor.

Yep, I think you are right. If somebody was drunk and pushed on the (now shorter) poll, they would potentially also have less leverage as they are closer to the base of the poll.

The idea of a 25Kg speaker on a poll, on a sub, on another sub... I guess on paper it just made me question it enough to throw the question out to this audience.

The venue we're playing next month where I'll use all my subs for the first time, the stage is actually really quite small for our 5 piece.
I looked some online photos from events at the same venue and I'm pretty sure my 828SP is going to be front and centre of the stage, with 1 or 2 foldback sitting on top.
This will both gain us some valuable stage space along with helping a bit with the monitor angle (SRX812P- not a bad angle, but you don't want to be sitting on top of it if possible).

I don't know what this is going to mean for bass/kick coming back on our stage. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I would imagine by just the weight of the 818 alone, would keep it quite stable. I would cheat a little and move the 828's out a little so that the feet cups line up with the feet of the 818. This should leave about a 2' gap between the 828's, which may or may not have adverse effects? An idea anyway.
Thanks Luke, I'll try that later tonight.
I don't want the top to be on an angle because 2 feet are in and 2 feet are out. I'll see how much of an issue that is.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:28 AM »

So you have 1x double-18" and 2x single-18" subs.

I'd set up as normal and drop the double-18" front and centre.
Alternatively, double-18" on one side, 2x single-18"s on the other.

3x 18" on one side and 1x 18" on the other just seems odd IMO.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: JBL SRX 818 and 828 together
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 06:54:56 AM »

Insert my usual warning about centered subs putting 50% of their energy right onto the stage.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Marr

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:39:09 PM »

Alternatively, double-18" on one side, 2x single-18"s on the other.
Chris

I do this with SRX728 on one side and two SRX718s on the other.  Works very well.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »

I do this with SRX728 on one side and two SRX718s on the other.  Works very well.

This the correct method for distributing those subs.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »

Hey Jay, do you use tripods both sides ? Or does the 728 have a pole mount?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 05:44:16 PM »

This the correct method for distributing those subs.

Me too ... SRX828 on one side and the 2 SRX818's on the other.... works and looks good.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jay Marr

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:48:22 PM »

Hey Jay, do you use tripods both sides ? Or does the 728 have a pole mount?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good question.
I removed one handle on the 728 and replaced it with a piece of (black) ply, and mounted a threaded pole mount (like the 718 has).  So I have very short threaded poles on each side.
It works awesome.  I bought the threaded poles on eBay (iDJ seller) and cut them to the length I needed for the perfect height for my tops.
Not setting up Tripods is glorious.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:28:44 PM »

Good question.
I removed one handle on the 728 and replaced it with a piece of (black) ply, and mounted a threaded pole mount (like the 718 has).  So I have very short threaded poles on each side.
It works awesome.  I bought the threaded poles on eBay (iDJ seller) and cut them to the length I needed for the perfect height for my tops.
Not setting up Tripods is glorious.

Short poles are a godsend.  We sometimes run one kw-181 under a kw-153 for smaller gigs.  Short poles cut to the same height as a sub keep things consistent.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

Me too ... SRX828 on one side and the 2 SRX818's on the other.... works and looks good.
Thanks Debbie,
Do you have the 828 on it's side, with FOH on top?
Do you space it with anything?

Just for a quick test I grabbed a milk crate to check the height of my FOH on top of the 828, which puts the tweeter just over 6' from the ground,
I think this will be just OK height wise for our indoor shows, I just need to find something that will take the hours of vibration coming from the subs and not send the FR speaker flying to the ground.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.