ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Input jack addition  (Read 4001 times)

Justin McInvale

Input jack addition
« on: November 18, 2017, 08:03:37 PM »

The skating rink/bowling alley I DJ at has a computer feeding the rink sound system and both bowling alley systems.

The A/V guy wants to add a box that will permit easy connection to all three systems.

The skating rink system is easy to add the input to as it uses a regular mixer and had a free input channel.

The other two are fed from a Samson S-zone 4 channel 4 zone mixer which has one output going into one input of an amp which feeds two speakers in one bowling area and the other channel is set up the same.

The idea is to have a separate input for the two bowling systems that when an input is plugged in will bypass the output from the S-zone and feed the input to its respective system with only a single control for the level.

I'm thinking that I need an active box with three stereo channels and three separate mono outputs with a level control for each.

How can I do that?

Is there a ready made solution for what I'm wanting to do?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:06:14 PM by Justin McInvale »
Justin

Ben Mehlman

Re: Input jack addition
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »

The skating rink/bowling alley I DJ at has a computer feeding the rink sound system and both bowling alley systems.

The A/V guy wants to add a box that will permit easy connection to all three systems.

The skating rink system is easy to add the input to as it uses a regular mixer and had a free input channel.

The other two are fed from a Samson S-zone 4 channel 4 zone mixer which has one output going into one input of an amp which feeds two speakers in one bowling area and the other channel is set up the same.

The idea is to have a separate input for the two bowling systems that when an input is plugged in will bypass the output from the S-zone and feed the input to its respective system with only a single control for the level.

I'm thinking that I need an active box with three stereo channels and three separate mono outputs with a level control for each.

How can I do that?

Is there a ready made solution for what I'm wanting to do?

Do you actually need to switch between inputs remotely, from your location?  Or is it good enough to be able to walk over to the location of the s-zone when you need to switch?  If it is, then the simple solution here is to put an input wall plate at your DJ location, run a cable from that to an input on the s-zone.. then run another cable from one of the zone outputs on the s-zone to the input on the mixer in the rink.   Now you can just select your input on the s-zone to feed all three areas, and control the volume from the input on the s-zone, or from your DJ mixer. 

In addition.. the s-zone has a ducker feature.. so if you were to use input #1 on the s-zone for your DJ feed, and set that up to duck the other inputs.. when you start DJing it would lower all the other inputs.  But I don't know if it would lower them all the way, or if the timing of that (how quickly it raises it back up again when your input stops) would be sufficient for your needs.  But you could try it....

Justin McInvale

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 08:46:32 PM »

Everything is in the dj booth.

The idea is to have it extremely simple so that anyone can plug into the input for that zone and only have one knob to mess with.

The rink mixer would only need a stereo to mono conversion and must have a balanced output to feed the mixer as there will be a ground loop with an unbalanced output.

The sound card on the computer is an AKAI EIE. The balanced output feeds the mixer and the headphone out feeds the S-zone.

By simple i mean plug the input in and adjust the volume with one knob. This has to be so even the non-technical people can operate it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 08:49:05 PM by Justin McInvale »
Justin

Ben Mehlman

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »

Everything is in the dj booth.

The idea is to have it extremely simple so that anyone can plug into the input for that zone and only have one knob to mess with.

The rink mixer would only need a stereo to mono conversion and must have a balanced output to feed the mixer as there will be a ground loop with an unbalanced output.

The sound card on the computer is an AKAI EIE. The balanced output feeds the mixer and the headphone out feeds the S-zone.

By simple i mean plug the input in and adjust the volume with one knob. This has to be so even the non-technical people can operate it.

I'm a little confused by the requirements, but it seems to me that since the s-zone has four inputs and four outputs, you can put EVERYTHING into it, including the output of the rink mixer.. then feed the three areas from three outputs on the s-zone.. that's what it's designed to do.  Then each source has one volume control, each area has one volume control.. stick some labels on the s-zone, and you're done.  The s-zone has balanced outputs but unbalanced inputs.  If you have a balancing problem you can get a transformer.

Now, if you want to make it idiot-proof.. there are systems for that.. where you push a button, and it does everything.. but those cost more money, and you'll need to hire someone to do that.  But it seems to me that all you want to do, is take three things.. the computer, the rink audio, and the dj audio, and send them to one of three places.. and control the volume.  That's what the s-zone is made to do.

Justin McInvale

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:59:04 AM »

It's more or less their A/V guy wants it extremely simple basically something to where no one has to figure out how to work the S-zone and can just connect their input and with one knob control the volume. In fact if it could be done without a level control he would be even happier.

Trust me if it were up to me id use the S-zone like you said.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:02:05 PM by Justin McInvale »
Justin

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:14:47 PM »

This mixer would allow for 1 input to be sent to separate outputs with separate volume
http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Rackmount-Mixers/MX882/p/P0056
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Justin McInvale

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:52 PM »

That would work if the mono channel inputs were steteo or if there is a way to make a stereo signal mono without affecting the sound quality.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:32:09 PM by Justin McInvale »
Justin

Justin McInvale

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

The AV guy isn't in much of a hurry at the moment to get it done so it gives me more time to find a proper solution.

I do like that one device only the channel inputs are mono .
Justin

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.