ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LDI was interesting. . .  (Read 3146 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
LDI was interesting. . .
« on: November 18, 2017, 03:01:43 AM »

Whomever booked LDI this year also booked MJBiz (cannabis) and Mecum Auctions (sports cars) right along side. Loud music, curious puffs of smoke (of all kinds) and cars doing burnouts all day out front of the LVCC. . .the smokers area was also amusing. . .

Not sure if booking agent was maniac or genius. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: LDI was interesting. . .
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:56:49 AM »

I wish I could have made it out for that.  I was lucky when LDI was in Orlando every couple years, but from what I've been told they are not welcome to return.  Any major standouts to you?

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:34:40 PM »

Well Jeff, at least USITT is not so far next year, and they have more than lights.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 03:12:55 PM »

Well Jeff, at least USITT is not so far next year, and they have more than lights.

Yeah, Fort Lauderdale isn't too bad for me.  My work takes me all over the state as it is!  Unfortunately I couldn't make InfoComm this past year either.  I'd certainly enjoy the chance to see/hear some of the larger sound booths!  Maybe one of these days!

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »

We are doing a Loudspeaker Demo at USITT this year!
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:17:35 PM »

. . . Any major standouts to you?

The prime rib at The Golden Steer was definitely the highlight of my day. It's less than a mile from the LVCC. There is a cigar lounge immediately adjacent. Don't miss out.

New RCF Line Array HDL30 sounded great on outdoor demo stage. 2x8 box hangs plus 12 SUB 9006 were able to punch out 108dB at FOH. LDI was giving booths to audio manufacturers, and the small show allowed for spending time with my reps getting more detailed product knowledge. Lectrosonics Venue wireless system is really impressive, 6 channels in 1U.

X-Laser has a new 5W beam show device that it controlled with DMX through a normal lighting desk. Should make it easier for LDs to add laser FX to their shows.

To/Go (decktogo.com) has nice aluminum modular staging (similar to SteelDeck) that clips together without pins and bolts. ModTruss looked interesting, goes together like an erector set, with lots of cool attachment options. Global Truss gear driven DT lifts, they're really nice. Tons of video walls for big $$$.  Columbus/McKinnion won't tell what they put on their hoist chains to make them so expensive. Orion Software has a really nice rental house package to organize your stuff. Lex will deliver any cable you can dream up, including any to any NEMA 3-way tees. Hubbell makes PowerCON compatible connectors and plug in circuit testers for twist lock plugs.

I only made it over for a day because I had a show on Saturday in Palm Springs. The sessions looked interesting, but alas, no time to attend.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

I heard all three outdoor speaker demos.  At the 2PM Saturday demo for Adamson, I was appalled!  I don't know who was driving the rig, but they announced they were playing some tracks a couple of artists were working on.  I'm not certain if it was the tracks, the rig, or the operator, but if this had been my first exposure to Adamson I would have crossed them off as a manufacturer.  The distortion was the worst I have ever heard on a professional rig.  I think they repeated this at 4PM but I was behind the rig when they played the rig at that level a second time with what sounded like the same result from that position.  To their credit, the S10 series demos I heard at the 2016 LDI were excellent.  Anybody else  hear this?  I know it's not just me!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:11 AM »

...if this had been my first exposure to Adamson I would have crossed them off as a manufacturer.
I have very limited Adamson experience, but it has been negative.  A show I was on brought in Adamson wedges, and the HF pattern was unbelievably narrow - maybe 20° horizontally.  I'm not sure in what situation that would be desirable - even moving 18" left or right at a typical monitor distance caused you to fall out of the HF pattern.  Maybe the Elton Johns of the world that need 140dB of stage volume but never leave the piano bench?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »

I heard all three outdoor speaker demos.  At the 2PM Saturday demo for Adamson, I was appalled! . . . Anybody else  hear this?  I know it's not just me!

I stuck around after the RCF demo Friday and was not impressed by the Adamson demo. Not sure what was going on there. I left and went back into the exhibit hall.

Wish I'd caught the EAW demo, but I'm not in the market for anything that spendy, so I didn't make it a priority.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:26:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.