ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Been a DJ over 10 years, putting together a new setup, never had one  (Read 14111 times)

Victor Estrada

Re: Been a DJ over 10 years, putting together a new setup, never had one
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »

The PV2600 is a very capable amp. I used one to power (1/channel) a pair of EV Eliminator KWs (dual 18s - 4 Ohm total) to impressive levels.  DDT took care of the rest.  Look for another SP218.

Which version of the 2600 do you have?  Some had a 40hz hi-pass and 150hz crossover built-in.  They were awesome!

Hi-pass filter on the subs is MANDATORY!  (Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to make a point).   ;)

A picture of the rear of the 2600s would help...

-Dennis

They really are! I love these amps! They do have the crossovers, it really does make the difference on the 218 when I push that little 150hz button lol but my question is if one of the 2600 can drive it to it's reliable max? Cause it's supposed to be 1200/2400/4800 and I keep hearing to get an amp capable of a bit more than the program rating, but both 18s start clipping when I turn it to the max on the amp

Ben Mehlman

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »

I heard the lower 15s on the SP4s act as subs (SP4s do throw a real nice bass, but gotta point out that both "15s" look like 12s). With that I do plan on getting 4 folded horns in the feature, and leave the 218 in the middle, holding the SP5s as monitors, but that's in the feature. But my question remains on the amps I need to drive the speakers I currently have, with a bit of room to expand piece by piece

You're about to make the classic sound system mistake that beginners make.  Don't mix things up.. more isn't necessarily better, if things aren't selected properly.   For example.. don't mix models of subs, definitely don't mix types of subs.  Commit to one model sub and get however many you need to do the job.  Different subs have different strengths.. get what's right for the gigs you're doing and the money you have to spend. 

If you want to use those SP4's, you need to get them up in the air.. the center of the horn needs to be up at least around 7 feet.. the only way you're consistently going to be able to do that is to stack them on the subs.  So if you go that route, you'll want to consider the dimensions of the subs before you buy them.

On the other hand, if you go with speakers up on stands, like the SP5's.. that means that you can keep the subs in the middle, which gives you much better bass, and more of it.. than if you split them to the sides.  Two subs together in the middle could easily give you enough bass for a party where the same two split one to each side would not.

This goes even more so for horn subs, where they will almost always go deeper the more of them you have next to each other.

As far as your experience not getting enough output from the SP5's although the amp was clipping.. that is because you didn't have proper subs.  When you have a sub + top combination, you always want to use the right processing.. you need a proper crossover which send all the bass to the subs.. let's say, everything under 100Hz to the subs, and everything over 100 to the tops.  And then you'll have another filter which cuts off everything below let's say 35-40Hz.. with the type of sub you have.  When you don't have things set up this way, you're asking the tops to produce bass that they are not really efficient at producing.  Leave that to the subs, and then you won't have your top amp clipping so much.

But yea, if your goal is to hit club levels for 700 people.. not a 700 person wedding, but a real DANCE party.. that's a serious system, it's going to cost serious money, and you need to plan it out now and buy the right stuff from the get go.. you can't just buy speakers and hope to add more later until you reach the right size.. it just doesn't work like that.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 03:55:13 AM »

But yea, if your goal is to hit club levels for 700 people.. not a 700 person wedding, but a real DANCE party.. that's a serious system, it's going to cost serious money, and you need to plan it out now and buy the right stuff from the get go.. you can't just buy speakers and hope to add more later until you reach the right size.. it just doesn't work like that.

For reference, a venue I worked at weekly for a few years had a medium-sized pile of Nexo Alpha for an 800-cap room.

3x double-18" subs
6x 15" horn-loaded kicks
6x 2x10" horn + HF mid-highs.
Per side.

Then there were some L'Acoustics 12" fills further back. Amps were Camco Vortex 4s for HF and 6s for everything else.

Sometimes they bring out another four of the double-18"s, for a total of 10. That's for the EDM nights.

It was a lot of PA for a room that size, but when you want the entire venue jumping, that's what you'll need.

I ran a PV2600 amp on subs for a while. Worked fine bridged into 4ohm, but I was using it for live music, not bass drops. I don't know how well it'd hold up thermally if you had the limiters solidly on for minutes at a time.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Bulin

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

Hi,

I've been a DJ for over 10 years, but never had my own system. I used to DJ with another guy who had a large setup, but he always took care of the configuration, I only helped carrying and connecting.

So, I recently purchased the following used gear from different sources:
2x Peavey SP5 rated 8ohms at 400, 800, and 1600w
2x Peavey SP4 rated 4ohms at 1000, 2000, and 4000w
1x Peavey SP218 Sub rated 4ohms at 1200, 2400, and 4800w (it's a dual 18' setup, also has independent access to each sub, at 8ohms)
2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

Now, I know I need another amp to fully power the subs and SP4s, and noticed the IPR2 7500 has the ideal specs (1 channel for both of the SP4s at 2ohms, and the other one just for the subs at 4ohms, using the independent built-in crossovers). Would that be the best option for the money, and will it power them efficiently to their max stable capacity?

One of the PV-2600s to power both SP5s (Bridge at 4ohms, even though it's not listed on the spec sheet?), and leave the other one as a backup (overheats? both running at the same load/time, turns up the fan 50% of the time when the other one doesn't)

My goal is to double the system but with long range subs in the feature, once I get some of my investment back, so also need help with that.

Thanks for your time!

Given what you have, I would use the Peavey amps in stereo one for the SP5s and and one for the SP4s.

I would buy a good EQ, something like a used RANE ME60B(or S) with balanced outputs and sweepable  high and low cut filters.

A decent crossover, (I currently use a PV23xo, would like to upgrade eventually) DBX seems to be a popular choice around here. 

As far as power amp, you may want to look into a Samson MXS3500.  I'm using one(running in parallel mono, 1100 watts per channel RMS) on a pair of SP118 subs and it has been outstanding, plus it has the juice(1400 watts per side) to push two subs like yours at 4 ohms.

Of course this is just my take, your mileage may vary.

Victor Estrada

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

You're about to make the classic sound system mistake that beginners make.  Don't mix things up.. more isn't necessarily better, if things aren't selected properly.   For example.. don't mix models of subs, definitely don't mix types of subs.  Commit to one model sub and get however many you need to do the job.  Different subs have different strengths.. get what's right for the gigs you're doing and the money you have to spend. 

If you want to use those SP4's, you need to get them up in the air.. the center of the horn needs to be up at least around 7 feet.. the only way you're consistently going to be able to do that is to stack them on the subs.  So if you go that route, you'll want to consider the dimensions of the subs before you buy them.

On the other hand, if you go with speakers up on stands, like the SP5's.. that means that you can keep the subs in the middle, which gives you much better bass, and more of it.. than if you split them to the sides.  Two subs together in the middle could easily give you enough bass for a party where the same two split one to each side would not.

This goes even more so for horn subs, where they will almost always go deeper the more of them you have next to each other.

As far as your experience not getting enough output from the SP5's although the amp was clipping.. that is because you didn't have proper subs.  When you have a sub + top combination, you always want to use the right processing.. you need a proper crossover which send all the bass to the subs.. let's say, everything under 100Hz to the subs, and everything over 100 to the tops.  And then you'll have another filter which cuts off everything below let's say 35-40Hz.. with the type of sub you have.  When you don't have things set up this way, you're asking the tops to produce bass that they are not really efficient at producing.  Leave that to the subs, and then you won't have your top amp clipping so much.

That is some really good advice! Thanks man!

Now as for what I got, do you think sticking to the 218 for subs is a good idea? Would getting another one, and another set of SP4s, with 2 SP4s on top of each 218, one on each side of the DJ table, get me a decent bass? Or should I sell it and buy folded horns?

And as for the connections, these amps support bi-amp, and was looking at the manual, would going this route get the most out of these 2 amps, while delivering the power appropriately? I'm pretty sure I need another amp right? I really like the 7500 cause it had plenty of room for expansion, I could use one side now for the SP4s, and the other for the 218, until I get the other set, found one for 780 used.

As for DSP, I found a Peavey VSX 26e for a good price, is that one pretty good? It has USB to customize from computer, and 6 outputs, which seems perfect for highs or monitors, full range, and subs. With a DSP I don't need anything else for sound enhancement/crossover right?

Also, for power efficiency, is there such a device that'll help with electricity?

My biggest concern as of now is this wedding I have coming up, they said it was 200 people, but the hall is pretty big and the ceilings are really high, and knowing these people, I'm sure a lot more will be there for the dance.

I'm really nervous cause people know me for "having a nice sound system", and this is the first time I do this on my own! I don't wanna ruin my "reputation" and not to mention such an important day for this couple and their families!

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »

Now as for what I got, do you think sticking to the 218 for subs is a good idea? Would getting another one, and another set of SP4s, with 2 SP4s on top of each 218, one on each side of the DJ table, get me a decent bass? Or should I sell it and buy folded horns?
Victor where are you located and what ethnic groups do you cater to?

As for DSP, I found a Peavey VSX 26e for a good price, is that one pretty good? It has USB to customize from computer, and 6 outputs, which seems perfect for highs or monitors, full range, and subs. With a DSP I don't need anything else for sound enhancement/crossover right?
PV never did release software to control this box so maybe think about buying amps with DSP built in or look at a Behringer DCX instead.

Also, for power efficiency, is there such a device that'll help with electricity?
You will need a distro eventually.

My biggest concern as of now is this wedding I have coming up, they said it was 200 people, but the hall is pretty big and the ceilings are really high, and knowing these people, I'm sure a lot more will be there for the dance.
The size of the room doesn't matter unless it is heavily upholstered with carpet and heavy drapes everywhere.. those rooms just soak up the sound. If it's all hard surfaces then it won't take much power at all to make a lot of noise. IMO for 200ppl what you got now is plenty just be sure to get the mains up high over everybodys heads.. don't just prop then up on the subs.

Victor Estrada

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 12:16:27 AM »

Victor where are you located and what ethnic groups do you cater to?
 PV never did release software to control this box so maybe think about buying amps with DSP built in or look at a Behringer DCX instead.
 You will need a distro eventually.
 The size of the room doesn't matter unless it is heavily upholstered with carpet and heavy drapes everywhere.. those rooms just soak up the sound. If it's all hard surfaces then it won't take much power at all to make a lot of noise. IMO for 200ppl what you got now is plenty just be sure to get the mains up high over everybodys heads.. don't just prop then up on the subs.

I'm in the rockies and it's a religious group, although, never do anything other than announcements and music. I downloaded the software from their website, its GUI does look outdated, but it seems to do the trick pretty good. The DSP I found is the VSX 26 for 200. I'm thinking a separate DSP is better as I only need one to control all amps, whereas amps would all have to have their own, and this way I also have more control, in one place. It also has other functions like autosetup with a mic, delay, and AutoEQ. That's good to know, hope it's enough!

Just wondering though, how much do you guys usually charge per gig? I've been charging 300, but been thinking about raising the prices cause of all the investment I've made

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 06:44:41 AM »

Just wondering though, how much do you guys usually charge per gig? I've been charging 300, but been thinking about raising the prices cause of all the investment I've made

Victor,

How much you can charge is dependent on 3 things IMO, none of which are related to how much someone else in another location is charging.

1. what the local market can bear
2. what you feel your time is worth (sometimes this means less jobs at a higher rate)
3. perceived service level of the client (this can be game changer) 

That fact that you spent money doesn't necessarily mean you deserve more money. If you spent a lot of money and as  a result assembled a poor sounding system (and yes people do that all the time) your value to the client may have actually gone down, not up. You can also show up with the best system in the world but do a poor job of meeting the clients needs and that makes you less valuable then another with a lesser system who meets the needs of the client.

You need to decide how much your time is worth to you, then see if the market agrees. If it agrees you're gold.

If it doesn't then you have tough decisions to make.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Allred

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 10:09:41 AM »

Just because you bought new gear doesn't mean you get to charge more, unless you arefulfilling a requirement of the customer..

Ben Mehlman

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »

The SP218's are decent subs for the money.. they don't go very deep though.. flat to 51Hz, I would high-pass them at 45Hz or higher.  Whereas a typical sub for electronic music you would want good response down to 40Hz.. but if you are doing more like weddings and school dances.. typical mobile DJ type stuff.. they might be fine.  Not too easy for one person to move them though.. impossible with steps.  As far as folded horns.. you are probably referring to to the Cerwin Vega "Junior Earthquake" or lots of subs that imitate them.. the answer is that no pro audio company would even THINK of using those.  Avoid.  If you are looking for a lot of output in a small package, get some JTR Growlers.. they are a folded horn design.. go deeper than the SP218 and are smaller and easier to move.  Four of them should satisfy almost any mobile DJ gig, two would be enough to get you started.

As far as two SP4's on each side, No.  Those are not designed to be run two per side and will not sound good that way.  If you are worried that one SP4 per side won't be enough, the solution is to SELL the SP4 and get something better.  Or if you really want two boxes per side, you need different boxes with a 60-75 degree max horizontal coverage (SP4 is 90 degree).

And as for the connections, these amps support bi-amp, and was looking at the manual, would going this route get the most out of these 2 amps, while delivering the power appropriately? I'm pretty sure I need another amp right? I really like the 7500 cause it had plenty of room for expansion, I could use one side now for the SP4s, and the other for the 218, until I get the other set, found one for 780 used.

Bi-amping is something that has to be supported by the speakers you are using, not the amps.  I don't thing any of the speakers you have right now support it.  But anyway it's not something you should worry about right now, you have a lot of learning to do before you get into that because biamping things wrong is the absolute easiest way to destroy your speakers.  Learn to manage a simpler system with one amp for the tops and one amp for the subs first.

I own a VSX48.. the old model, not the 'E' model.. I don't use it much, I keep it as a spare.  It's a good processor but the settings are a huge pain in the ass and the remote USB capability doesn't work.  Peavey dropped the ball.  The new models may be better...  For your needs I would suggest an easier processor such as the DBX DriveRack PA2, which is easy to use and has a great remote control capability.  And yea it will handle all your processing needs, you don't need anything else. 

My first digital processor was the Driverack PA (original model) and I used it for years and got a lot out of it before I upgraded to an Ashly 24.24M.. which is far more than you need.

I'm really nervous cause people know me for "having a nice sound system", and this is the first time I do this on my own! I don't wanna ruin my "reputation" and not to mention such an important day for this couple and their families!

There is no device you can add that can help your power efficiency.. that is totally up to what amps you have.  If you want to get the most sound from the least power, you need to buy digital amplifiers (class D).. which the amps you have are not.  As someone said already, you will eventually need a power distro and to tap into bigger power sources in the halls (in my system, I have a Motion Labs power distro and tap directly into the breaker panels in the venues.. but you have to know what you are doing when you do that.. if you don't know what you are doing, DEATH is a real possibility, or starting a fire, or knocking out power for the whole building, or destroying ALL your gear.. all of these are easily possible.. so generally, you don't want to go there yet until you learn the basics).  Meanwhile, for most weddings, it should be enough if you find two power outlets on different circuit breakers.. and run your subs from one and everything else from the other.  If you were to get digital amps you'd be in even better shape.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 10:39:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 19 queries.