Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Been a DJ over 10 years, putting together a new setup, never had one

(1/10) > >>

Victor Estrada:
Hi,

I've been a DJ for over 10 years, but never had my own system. I used to DJ with another guy who had a large setup, but he always took care of the configuration, I only helped carrying and connecting.

So, I recently purchased the following used gear from different sources:
2x Peavey SP5 rated 8ohms at 400, 800, and 1600w
2x Peavey SP4 rated 4ohms at 1000, 2000, and 4000w
1x Peavey SP218 Sub rated 4ohms at 1200, 2400, and 4800w (it's a dual 18' setup, also has independent access to each sub, at 8ohms)
2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

Now, I know I need another amp to fully power the subs and SP4s, and noticed the IPR2 7500 has the ideal specs (1 channel for both of the SP4s at 2ohms, and the other one just for the subs at 4ohms, using the independent built-in crossovers). Would that be the best option for the money, and will it power them efficiently to their max stable capacity?

One of the PV-2600s to power both SP5s (Bridge at 4ohms, even though it's not listed on the spec sheet?), and leave the other one as a backup (overheats? both running at the same load/time, turns up the fan 50% of the time when the other one doesn't)

My goal is to double the system but with long range subs in the feature, once I get some of my investment back, so also need help with that.

Thanks for your time!

Will Knight:
Before you can get any assistance here, you must go to your profile immeditaely and change your user name to your REAL first and last name as required by the forums rules which were presented to you at the time of registration. Otherwise your post will be locked by the moderator.

Victor Estrada:

--- Quote from: Will Knight on November 17, 2017, 06:20:40 PM ---Before you can get any assistance here, you must go to your profile immeditaely and change your user name to your REAL first and last name as required by the forums rules which were presented to you at the time of registration. Otherwise your post will be locked by the moderator.

--- End quote ---

Weird, but done. So, got any input?

David Allred:

--- Quote from: Victor Estrada on November 17, 2017, 06:03:11 PM ---Hi,

I've been a DJ for over 10 years, but never had my own system. I used to DJ with another guy who had a large setup, but he always took care of the configuration, I only helped carrying and connecting.

1x Peavey SP218 Sub rated 4ohms at 1200, 2400, and 4800w (it's a dual 18' setup, also has independent access to each sub, at 8ohms)
2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

Now, I know I need another amp to fully power the subs and SP4s, and noticed the IPR2 7500 has the ideal specs (1 channel for both of the SP4s at 2ohms, and the other one just for the subs at 4ohms, using the independent built-in crossovers). Would that be the best option for the money, and will it power them efficiently to their max stable capacity?

One of the PV-2600s to power both SP5s (Bridge at 4ohms, even though it's not listed on the spec sheet?), and leave the other one as a backup (overheats? both running at the same load/time, turns up the fan 50% of the time when the other one doesn't)

My goal is to double the system but with long range subs in the feature, once I get some of my investment back, so also need help with that.

Thanks for your time!

--- End quote ---
4 horns, 6 -15's, and you expect 2 -18's to keep up?

Ben Mehlman:

--- Quote from: Victor Estrada on November 17, 2017, 06:03:11 PM ---Hi,

Thanks for your time!

--- End quote ---

With what you have now.. leave the SP4's in the garage or sell them.  You would really need four subs to make good use of them, you could get by with two subs, but it would be unsafe to stack them that way.

Power the SP5's with one PV2600 in stereo mode.
Power the 218 with the other PV2600 in bridge mode.

Then you need a crossover of some sort.  You could use the 150Hz crossover built into the amp, but that's not really ideal.  I suggest buying a processor.  The DBX Driverack PA2 should be good for you.  I can suggest settings if you go for it (as can most other people on PSW).

You will also want a rack to hold your amps.. with casters.  2 amps + processor + a rack power/light strip is useful.. so minimum 6U height ATA type rack, but 8U if you plan to expand.

And a pair of decent speaker stands.  If you don't want to spend a lot on those, I like the OnStage SS7761B.  There are much nicer stands but these, if you take good care of them they will pay for themselves.  A speaker stand bag is totally worth getting too.. totally worth it because your stands will last much much longer in them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version