ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Been a DJ over 10 years, putting together a new setup, never had one  (Read 14092 times)

Victor Estrada

Hi,

I've been a DJ for over 10 years, but never had my own system. I used to DJ with another guy who had a large setup, but he always took care of the configuration, I only helped carrying and connecting.

So, I recently purchased the following used gear from different sources:
2x Peavey SP5 rated 8ohms at 400, 800, and 1600w
2x Peavey SP4 rated 4ohms at 1000, 2000, and 4000w
1x Peavey SP218 Sub rated 4ohms at 1200, 2400, and 4800w (it's a dual 18' setup, also has independent access to each sub, at 8ohms)
2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

Now, I know I need another amp to fully power the subs and SP4s, and noticed the IPR2 7500 has the ideal specs (1 channel for both of the SP4s at 2ohms, and the other one just for the subs at 4ohms, using the independent built-in crossovers). Would that be the best option for the money, and will it power them efficiently to their max stable capacity?

One of the PV-2600s to power both SP5s (Bridge at 4ohms, even though it's not listed on the spec sheet?), and leave the other one as a backup (overheats? both running at the same load/time, turns up the fan 50% of the time when the other one doesn't)

My goal is to double the system but with long range subs in the feature, once I get some of my investment back, so also need help with that.

Thanks for your time!

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
Re: Been a DJ over 10 years, putting together a new setup, never had one
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »

Before you can get any assistance here, you must go to your profile immeditaely and change your user name to your REAL first and last name as required by the forums rules which were presented to you at the time of registration. Otherwise your post will be locked by the moderator.
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Victor Estrada

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »

Before you can get any assistance here, you must go to your profile immeditaely and change your user name to your REAL first and last name as required by the forums rules which were presented to you at the time of registration. Otherwise your post will be locked by the moderator.

Weird, but done. So, got any input?

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:47 PM »

Hi,

I've been a DJ for over 10 years, but never had my own system. I used to DJ with another guy who had a large setup, but he always took care of the configuration, I only helped carrying and connecting.

1x Peavey SP218 Sub rated 4ohms at 1200, 2400, and 4800w (it's a dual 18' setup, also has independent access to each sub, at 8ohms)
2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

Now, I know I need another amp to fully power the subs and SP4s, and noticed the IPR2 7500 has the ideal specs (1 channel for both of the SP4s at 2ohms, and the other one just for the subs at 4ohms, using the independent built-in crossovers). Would that be the best option for the money, and will it power them efficiently to their max stable capacity?

One of the PV-2600s to power both SP5s (Bridge at 4ohms, even though it's not listed on the spec sheet?), and leave the other one as a backup (overheats? both running at the same load/time, turns up the fan 50% of the time when the other one doesn't)

My goal is to double the system but with long range subs in the feature, once I get some of my investment back, so also need help with that.

Thanks for your time!
4 horns, 6 -15's, and you expect 2 -18's to keep up?

Ben Mehlman

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for your time!

With what you have now.. leave the SP4's in the garage or sell them.  You would really need four subs to make good use of them, you could get by with two subs, but it would be unsafe to stack them that way.

Power the SP5's with one PV2600 in stereo mode.
Power the 218 with the other PV2600 in bridge mode.

Then you need a crossover of some sort.  You could use the 150Hz crossover built into the amp, but that's not really ideal.  I suggest buying a processor.  The DBX Driverack PA2 should be good for you.  I can suggest settings if you go for it (as can most other people on PSW).

You will also want a rack to hold your amps.. with casters.  2 amps + processor + a rack power/light strip is useful.. so minimum 6U height ATA type rack, but 8U if you plan to expand.

And a pair of decent speaker stands.  If you don't want to spend a lot on those, I like the OnStage SS7761B.  There are much nicer stands but these, if you take good care of them they will pay for themselves.  A speaker stand bag is totally worth getting too.. totally worth it because your stands will last much much longer in them.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:15 PM »

With what you have now.. leave the SP4's in the garage or sell them.  You would really need four subs to make good use of them, you could get by with two subs, but it would be unsafe to stack them that way.

Then you need a crossover of some sort.  You could use the 150Hz crossover built into the amp, but that's not really ideal.  I suggest buying a processor.  The DBX Driverack PA2 should be good for you.  I can suggest settings if you go for it (as can most other people on PSW).

You will also want a rack to hold your amps.. with casters.  2 amps + processor + a rack power/light strip is useful.. so minimum 6U height ATA type rack, but 8U if you plan to expand.

And a pair of decent speaker stands.  If you don't want to spend a lot on those, I like the OnStage SS7761B.  There are much nicer stands but these, if you take good care of them they will pay for themselves.  A speaker stand bag is totally worth getting too.. totally worth it because your stands will last much much longer in them.

Great advice above. One other thing to think about. The older Sp4 boxes had a low box tuning. You could use them for more low end in the 45 to 100hz or so range. Go into the 1/4 biamp low or speakon low input. Should you be sure you want to use them this way you could bypass the passive crossover making the quasi crossover system in them.  Until your ready to grow at least you could get some value/usage out of them. Another 2600 with 900 watts to each sp4 would be just about right for all but the oldest sets. Just me and everyone has a different point of view but I'd use one of the current 2600's you have not bridged but instead 1 amp channel per woofer in your 218 box. That would give 540 watts to each woofer. A pretty good power match.  Do you know the manufacture year of your boxes?

Douglas R. Allen

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:30:35 PM »

...2x Peavey PV-2600 amps rated at  RMS 4ohms 900w, 8ohms 550w, and Bridged 8ohms 1800w (2600w at 4ohms but unlisted on their spec sheet? Weird since the amps' model is 2600 and it says 2600w in the front)

The PV2600 is a very capable amp. I used one to power (1/channel) a pair of EV Eliminator KWs (dual 18s - 4 Ohm total) to impressive levels.  DDT took care of the rest.  Look for another SP218.

Which version of the 2600 do you have?  Some had a 40hz hi-pass and 150hz crossover built-in.  They were awesome!

Hi-pass filter on the subs is MANDATORY!  (Sorry for yelling, but I wanted to make a point).   ;)

A picture of the rear of the 2600s would help...

-Dennis
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:35:59 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »

That was my first thought.

I would suggest selling 2 of the tops and getting more subs.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Victor Estrada

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:50:06 PM »

I know, I need more bass. But the thing is I mostly DJ in huge places and need loudness, and I've had one of the 2600s power both SP5s in stereo mode in 2 gigs, and DDT just kept kicking in and it wasn't loud enough for the room, very unpleasant to have everybody stare at you when that happens. Thought it was the speakers cause both fuse/bulbs were blown when I got them, but it's been the amp as I tested the speakers at a friends gig with his amp and they performed like champs at higher volumes through the whole wedding. My gigs range from 200-~700 people so places can be huge, which is why I got the SP4s and the 218. I forgot to mention that I also have a pair of powered 118D subs that came with the SP5s, but have been thinking about selling them and use the money to buy the 7500. Is more low power subs better than less high powered ones?

Victor Estrada

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »

That was my first thought.

I would suggest selling 2 of the tops and getting more subs.

I heard the lower 15s on the SP4s act as subs (SP4s do throw a real nice bass, but gotta point out that both "15s" look like 12s). With that I do plan on getting 4 folded horns in the feature, and leave the 218 in the middle, holding the SP5s as monitors, but that's in the feature. But my question remains on the amps I need to drive the speakers I currently have, with a bit of room to expand piece by piece

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:55:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.