ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question regarding postage rate-Ultimate Support mic stand  (Read 4113 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Question regarding postage rate-Ultimate Support mic stand
« on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »

For those of you who do this a lot .....

I have an Ultimate Support mic stand that I purchased in a pair last year. The clutch/hub never worked from day 1 and was always too loose to hold up the boom but the other one was fine. However,  I procrastinated and didn't return it to the store. Some time went by and after a few attempts to make it work, I gave up and I just replaced the boom assembly with one from an old stand. Its not really even been used.
The other day I tried it with the stock hub again but now I notice the bolt threads are virtually smooth and it is useless.  I figured I can replace just the bolt so I contacted Ultimate Support to see if they could help. I am used to customer service from companies like SKB, Hercules, Gator so I suppose I expected them to offer similar customer service.
They wanted to charge me for a new hub (only $12 but still my $12) till I pointed out it was still under the 3 year warranty (  I had already told them when it was purchased) and surely would be covered.
They then agreed and gave me an RA number to return it even though I have sent them photos and copy of original receipt.
So now I am sending them the hub assembly for replacement but as I have to pay shipping, I want to send it as cheaply as possible but with tracking or something that will indicate it was delivered. Anything over $12 isn't worth it as I might as well buy the new hub assembly myself.

I have checked the USPS website as they are usually the cheapest method but unsure what it comes under...
I have it in a small padded envelope as a box seemed overkill but as the envelope isn't flat, I am unsure what it falls under. Weight is 5.6oz, dimensions 6" x 6" and 1-1/2" at its fattest point.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Question regarding postage rate-Ultimate Support mic stand
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:30:17 PM »

A USPS flat rate envelope or box is usually the cheapest.
But you need to go to the PO to get them.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »

A USPS flat rate envelope or box is usually the cheapest.
But you need to go to the PO to get them.

Thanks Dave.. that's the service that used to cost $4.99 I believe - "If it fits, it ships". According to the website it looks like that is now $7.15 for a box and $7.20 for a padded envelope. I might as well use a flat rate box then and just pack it well.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:11:22 PM »

Ultimate support has not so great support. I recall having a similar warranty issue with several back and forth emails.

I finally asked if they wanted to help me fix my stand or wanted me to replace them all with K&M, and they dropped a warranty part in the mail.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:26 PM »

Ultimate support has not so great support. I recall having a similar warranty issue with several back and forth emails.

I finally asked if they wanted to help me fix my stand or wanted me to replace them all with K&M, and they dropped a warranty part in the mail.

You got me thinking Hayden.

I just wrote to customer service asking them to consider just shipping me the part instead of me having to pay to ship the defective part back so they can trash it their end. They have photos I already sent them and I can supply any amount they want  so it makes sense.
I mentioned that it was a member on this forum who got me thinking so that might help - I hate to sound like I am complaining over $7 but to me it is the driving 25 minutes to the post office, waiting in line but mainly the principle of this whole thing.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:11:31 PM »

You got me thinking Hayden.

I just wrote to customer service asking them to consider just shipping me the part instead of me having to pay to ship the defective part back so they can trash it their end. They have photos I already sent them and I can supply any amount they want  so it makes sense.
I mentioned that it was a member on this forum who got me thinking so that might help - I hate to sound like I am complaining over $7 but to me it is the driving 25 minutes to the post office, waiting in line but mainly the principle of this whole thing.

Fair warning, if you need to pull bolts out get those too. the heads have a hardness somewhere between aluminum and room temperature butter, and they are typically threadlocked.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »

I hate those ultimate mic stands.  Got saddled with them twice on installs...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 12:04:30 AM »

I saw them last year on a stupid deal of the day or something - I thought it meant I'd be stupid to pass on the deal but apparently that wasn't what they meant at all.......I try to pick up accessories whenever I see them on sale.
Thank goodness I have my faithful K&M's, Dr Pro's and even my On Stage Stands ones that have served me well so I'm not hurting too bad but it is annoying to receive something brand new, not that cheap  and not working ..... the other Ultimate works fine but who knows for how long??

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 06:52:30 PM »

I got a response back today that although they don't usually do this, the supervisor has approved sending me the hub assembly without making me send them the bad one. Good news.
If the new one works as it should, I'll actually be able to use my mic stand after all.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »

I got a response back today that although they don't usually do this, the supervisor has approved sending me the hub assembly without making me send them the bad one. Good news.
If the new one works as it should, I'll actually be able to use my mic stand after all.

Send them a short video clip of you destroying the bad one.

A few decades back when I did ad hoc satellite downlinks our antenna (dish) supplier messed up on a unit that was placed in a 'coastal area'.  When it was determined that the parabola wasn't correct the manufacturer only wanted proof of destruction to honor the warranty.  IIRC the video was the end user pushing it off a cliff, about 200' above the ocean.

For another look at "destroyed in lieu of returning" try this one, from a friend's shop in St Louis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLIc5MLncbc&t=4s
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.