Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

5 Megawatt Load Bank

(1/7) > >>

Mike Sokol:
I was looking around for a surplus load bank for some of my experiments and I came upon this semi-trailer version. Now the picture says 5 mW which I always thought a lower case "m" denoted milliwatts, but I'm pretty sure this is a 5 MegaWatt load bank as in 5 million or 5,000,000 watts. I don't know why, but I really want one of these... ;D

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on November 16, 2017, 04:30:52 PM ---I was looking around for a surplus load bank for some of my experiments and I came upon this semi-trailer version. Now the picture says 5 mW which I always thought a lower case "m" denoted milliwatts, but I'm pretty sure this is a 5 MegaWatt load bank as in 5 million or 5,000,000 watts. I don't know why, but I really want one of these... ;D

--- End quote ---
It's interesting the assumptions that different industries make - e.g. "high voltage" in the electronics industry would be 120V while "low voltage" in the electrical trade would be 120V, and 7KV might be "low voltage" in the distribution trade.

I wonder what impedance this thing is and what input voltage it is designed for - whatever "medium voltage" is.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on November 16, 2017, 04:30:52 PM ---I was looking around for a surplus load bank for some of my experiments and I came upon this semi-trailer version. Now the picture says 5 mW which I always thought a lower case "m" denoted milliwatts, but I'm pretty sure this is a 5 MegaWatt load bank as in 5 million or 5,000,000 watts. I don't know why, but I really want one of these... ;D

--- End quote ---

Mrs Sokol may not be keen on giving up her parking spot...

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: TJ (Tom) Cornish on November 16, 2017, 05:21:55 PM ---It's interesting the assumptions that different industries make - e.g. "high voltage" in the electronics industry would be 120V while "low voltage" in the electrical trade would be 120V, and 7KV might be "low voltage" in the distribution trade.

--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure in the power industry that anything below 600 volts is considered "low voltage". I took a 600 volt shock hand-to-hand once, and it was terrifying. I'm thinking that 600 to at least 11,000 volts is considered "medium voltage" since that's what is commonly found on the street power lines. The high voltage rating goes upwards to at least 500,000 volts around here and even 1 million volts in some high-tension lines. That's a whole lotta volts... 

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on November 16, 2017, 05:34:39 PM ---Mrs Sokol may not be keen on giving up her parking spot...

--- End quote ---

She already kicked my Hammond B3 and Leslie out of the living room years ago.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version