ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeSpeak II Antenna Usage  (Read 10540 times)

Magnus Högkvist

Re: FreeSpeak II Antenna Usage
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »

I'm waiting to heat this answer as well. I have a show next week where we are bringing FSII with 16 packs, and the video truck is bringing FSII with 5 packs. Ours (OSA's) will be 1.9GHz, haven't been able to get that info from the truck.

Mac

Since You register the beltpacks to your Base station it "should" just work.....

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 12:30:45 PM »

Since You register the beltpacks to your Base station it "should" just work.....

Actually, no. If another FS-II system (or Riedel Bolero or Telex Roameo) shows up on the scene, within the same RF coverage area(s), there are now multiple systems operating in the same frequency spectrum, and this means interference potential. It doesn't matter if only I have keys to my car, if there are a million other cars on the road, I'm not going anywhere, or it will be very slow going.

Other co-located systems means reduced range at best, to complete non-usability at worst. 
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:54:13 PM »

Actually, no. If another FS-II system (or Riedel Bolero or Telex Roameo) shows up on the scene, within the same RF coverage area(s), there are now multiple systems operating in the same frequency spectrum, and this means interference potential. It doesn't matter if only I have keys to my car, if there are a million other cars on the road, I'm not going anywhere, or it will be very slow going.

Other co-located systems means reduced range at best, to complete non-usability at worst.

In that case, how do we deal with multiple systems in the same space? Can the 2 FS II bases be linked in some way? One of them will be on the 3rd floor of a commercial building in lower Manhattan (16 drops), the other may be in a truck on the street, or may be in the same room (5 more drops).

Mac

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »

In that case, how do we deal with multiple systems in the same space? Can the 2 FS II bases be linked in some way? One of them will be on the 3rd floor of a commercial building in lower Manhattan (16 drops), the other may be in a truck on the street, or may be in the same room (5 more drops).

If there are two separate systems occupying the same physical space (RF coverage area) AND the total number of beltpacks between the two systems does not exceed 25 in each band, then simply use the DECT sync RJ45's to interconnect the two bases so time slots are aligned. Register belt packs to their respective base.

If the two systems can be RF isolated sufficiently, then simply treat them as two disparate systems not in each other's RF coverage area. Mitigating RF energy propagation into each other's coverage area(s) can be achieved with the use of black wrap or regular aluminum foil to create a reflector/shield, or by placing transceivers near metal structures or set pieces that can attenuate the energy in the desired direction. It's not necessary to bond the foil to the 0VDC rail of the transceiver.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:35 PM »

As Henry said...

Many FSII 19 systems can operate in the same RF space as long as the total number of BP is 25 or less.

FSII 214 using a matrix frame c an have up to 40 Beltpacks - stand alone bases are 25 for both bands.

You can use both bands in the same show for a total of 50 with stand alone and 65 with Matrix frames.

If the 19 bases are connected with sync cables latency will be the same as 1 base.  If they are not connected in sync the latency will increase as the antennas and BP need to negotiate for the slot.

This is not absolutely true if there are different manufacturers of systems.  While the modulation schemes are similar the timing most certainly is not.

It's like trying to use a FSII 19 in an arena with DECT telephones - absolute disaster.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:31:02 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Dan Currie

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »

...It's like trying to use a FSII 19 in an arena with DECT telephones - absolute disaster.

Pete,
  Do you have experience with the FS 214 in the already crowded 2.4ghz reange?  Are they more frequency resilient than the 19?

Too bad there does not appear to be a network number and lockout key on the FSII.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

Pete,
  Do you have experience with the FS 214 in the already crowded 2.4ghz reange?  Are they more frequency resilient than the 19?

Too bad there does not appear to be a network number and lockout key on the FSII.

The 24 has less of an issue with multi path than the 19 which often doesn't work in large arenas, especially domed arenas.  The 24 is NOT Wifi...be clear on that.  It just operates in that band.

FS24 works well in high wifi environments.  If anything it bothers the wifi much more than is bothered by wifi.  For that reason we cannot use it on shows for computer manufacturers since they are pushing their wifi.

This week and next week we are using 25-1.9 and 25-2.4 beltpacks for the second year on 34th street at the Macy's day parade and at the tree Lighting in Rock center.  Both locations not only have hundreds of access points but thousands of smart phone users.

Another vendor will also be using the 2 bands again in Times Square for New Years providing coverage for 10 blocks with 65 beltpacks.

I would recommend the 24 system since it will be legal all around the world wher the 19 is not without buying different BP and antennas for other countries...they are not software changeable.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:29:39 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 04:20:52 PM »

If there are two separate systems occupying the same physical space (RF coverage area) AND the total number of beltpacks between the two systems does not exceed 25 in each band, then simply use the DECT sync RJ45's to interconnect the two bases so time slots are aligned. Register belt packs to their respective base.

If the two systems can be RF isolated sufficiently, then simply treat them as two disparate systems not in each other's RF coverage area. Mitigating RF energy propagation into each other's coverage area(s) can be achieved with the use of black wrap or regular aluminum foil to create a reflector/shield, or by placing transceivers near metal structures or set pieces that can attenuate the energy in the desired direction. It's not necessary to bond the foil to the 0VDC rail of the transceiver.

I've come across the following situation [or similar] several times in the last year and would love to know what the best strategy in this case would be.

In-house production has FS 1.9 deployed with multiple antennas.  Let's say for arguments sake they have 16 drops deployed throughout the production areas; so backstage as well as FOH areas covered.  I roll in with a production truck with a Base Station installed that is essentially the Hub of my comms system.  So It's got all 8 of it's analog ports full with various things in the truck, so relocating it where the In-House Base station is would be problematic.  I want to deploy 6 drops of FS 1.9 in the FOH area for MY production folks using Fiber to remote my antennas from the truck [we're running fiber anyway for cameras and such].

What's my best plan?  Can i theoretically operate a standalone system without the 2 systems fighting with each other given that there is only 22 drops in actual operation [and less than 3-4 per transceiver for both systems]?  Or will they walk on one another since they are not "sync-ed"?  To be clear, simply isolating my system from theirs won't really work because they both need to cover the same area.  Is there a way to make this work, or is it time for me to pull out my much maligned 900MHz HME rig?

Thanks for the help in advance...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 05:31:52 PM »

I've come across the following situation [or similar] several times in the last year and would love to know what the best strategy in this case would be.

In-house production has FS 1.9 deployed with multiple antennas.  Let's say for arguments sake they have 16 drops deployed throughout the production areas; so backstage as well as FOH areas covered.  I roll in with a production truck with a Base Station installed that is essentially the Hub of my comms system.  So It's got all 8 of it's analog ports full with various things in the truck, so relocating it where the In-House Base station is would be problematic.  I want to deploy 6 drops of FS 1.9 in the FOH area for MY production folks using Fiber to remote my antennas from the truck [we're running fiber anyway for cameras and such].

What's my best plan?  Can i theoretically operate a standalone system without the 2 systems fighting with each other given that there is only 22 drops in actual operation [and less than 3-4 per transceiver for both systems]?  Or will they walk on one another since they are not "sync-ed"?  To be clear, simply isolating my system from theirs won't really work because they both need to cover the same area.  Is there a way to make this work, or is it time for me to pull out my much maligned 900MHz HME rig?

This is my situation next week exactly, except I'll have the "house" system and the truck will be bringing their system for their fiber connected cameras. I'll try to connect them with a sync cable.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

If you will have the same exact PL channels, I would just sync your BP to their system and not use your base.  If they haven't deployed 10 antennas you can extend your coverage with your antennas.

Last week I did a show at the Jazz at Lincoln center where they have a 1.9 system and Worldstage sent a 1.9 system for me..  the only common channel was Production so I used my base - total BP was less than 25 - I didn't sync since their base was too far away and had no issues.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.