ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FreeSpeak II Antenna Usage  (Read 10542 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: FreeSpeak II Antenna Usage
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »

If you will have the same exact PL channels, I would just sync your BP to their system and not use your base.  If they haven't deployed 10 antennas you can extend your coverage with your antennas.

Last week I did a show at the Jazz at Lincoln center where they have a 1.9 system and Worldstage sent a 1.9 system for me..  the only common channel was Production so I used my base - total BP was less than 25 - I didn't sync since their base was too far away and had no issues.

I rarely have the same comms channels as the house since i'm interfacing comms over IP to our main control room in DC and other back channel production PLs.  Usually the only channel i have in common with the house is the main Show Caller channel. 

I figured so long as total BPs was less than 25 more than one system should still play nice with one another.  But good to hear that it worked that way at least once.  :)

Actually when i was at the DNCC in Philly i knew there were 2 other base stations in use 'cause i could see them when i was registering my BPs.  But things were so chaotic there that i never did figure out where they were coming from.  And the Frequency Coordinator didn't seem to know either.  But i was in such a limited area kinda away from the main stage that everything worked fine anyway...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2017, 03:00:53 PM »

I rarely have the same comms channels as the house since i'm interfacing comms over IP to our main control room in DC and other back channel production PLs.  Usually the only channel i have in common with the house is the main Show Caller channel. 

I figured so long as total BPs was less than 25 more than one system should still play nice with one another.  But good to hear that it worked that way at least once.  :)

Actually when i was at the DNCC in Philly i knew there were 2 other base stations in use 'cause i could see them when i was registering my BPs.  But things were so chaotic there that i never did figure out where they were coming from.  And the Frequency Coordinator didn't seem to know either.  But i was in such a limited area kinda away from the main stage that everything worked fine anyway...

This is my situation next week exactly, except I'll have the "house" system and the truck will be bringing their system for their fiber connected cameras. I'll try to connect them with a sync cable.

Mac

Well wadda ya know, the truck arrived with their FS II system and it was Brian Maddox. Small world. Still working out how to make it all work together, as well as the Dante split to Brian.

Mac

Dan Currie

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 08:10:03 PM »

Are you trying to merry 2 dante networks or is the split comm via a Studio Technologies unit?

Well wadda ya know, the truck arrived with their FS II system and it was Brian Maddox. Small world. Still working out how to make it all work together, as well as the Dante split to Brian.

Mac

brian maddox

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »

Mac

Yes, it turns out that Mac and I were basically talking about the same show without knowing it... 😀

Our Dante is now all kinda happy.  After I flogged my fiber guys for about 6 hours...  Hazards of doing audio for what is essentially a video company. Combining Dante networks does require trust, but needless to say, Mac has earned it.  This one is gonna be easy.

As to combining freespeak systems...  well....  turns out Mac is using a 1st gen Freespeak system so there is no way to sync with my Freespeak II rig.  But we’ve each ran our antennas and fired it all up and I think it’ll all play together just fine.

This is my first time meeting a LabSter IRL.  And it turns out to be Mac Kerr.  It’s gonna be a good show....

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

brian maddox

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:03 PM »

This is my situation next week exactly, except I'll have the "house" system and the truck will be bringing their system for their fiber connected cameras. I'll try to connect them with a sync cable.

Mac

I made up the hypothetical situation in my original post, but it turns out that I was being prophetical....  😀

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 11:44:48 AM »

Hi,
I'd be very interested to hear anything you care to share from doing this. As far as using two systems side-by-side, how does the previously mentioned maximum of twenty five stations apply? Isn't that per system rather than per environment? If not, how is that a problem? I'm thinking  of two entirely discrete systems, as in house and truck, not linked in any way (other than a sync cable that was recommended earlier.)
And thanks for everyone's input on my initial post, it appears to have been helpful to more than just myself.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 02:23:10 PM »

Hi,
I'd be very interested to hear anything you care to share from doing this. As far as using two systems side-by-side, how does the previously mentioned maximum of twenty five stations apply? Isn't that per system rather than per environment? If not, how is that a problem? I'm thinking  of two entirely discrete systems, as in house and truck, not linked in any way (other than a sync cable that was recommended earlier.)
And thanks for everyone's input on my initial post, it appears to have been helpful to more than just myself.

That is 25 per environment for the 1.9.  The stand alone base for 2.4 is limited to 25 because of the base.  If you use it in a matrix frame the limit is 40 2.4 beltpacks.

The 1.9 is limited because the entire Spectrum is filled with 25.  both of the systems can have multiple systems as long as the max BP is observed.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:26 PM »

Hi,
Thanks so much for the clarification, I was afraid it was something like that. Afraid cause now I wonder how the Spectrum can be filled, while I assume other traffic is present? Also how that impacts Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum and Adaptive Frequency Hopping. It seems I don't need to know the details as it's all automatic, but it is a curiosity.

A document that helped me, though not entirely, is here:

http://www.clearcom.com/userfiles/file/White-Papers/Clear-ComWhitePaper_FSII%20RF%20Performance.pdf

Thanks all,
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 04:13:32 AM »

Hi,
Thanks so much for the clarification, I was afraid it was something like that. Afraid cause now I wonder how the Spectrum can be filled, while I assume other traffic is present? Also how that impacts Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum and Adaptive Frequency Hopping. It seems I don't need to know the details as it's all automatic, but it is a curiosity.

A document that helped me, though not entirely, is here:

http://www.clearcom.com/userfiles/file/White-Papers/Clear-ComWhitePaper_FSII%20RF%20Performance.pdf

This paper is about the 2.4GHz FSII system, not the 1.9 DECT system.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Dan Currie

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »

Had some time with a 1.9 system.  Screenshots are with one antenna.  Freespeakii handles more beltpacks differently than I thought it would...

Just the Base

Base plus 1 pack

Base plus 2 packs

Base plus 3 packs

Base plus 4 packs 

Base plus 5 packs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:33 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.