ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DiGiCo D1 Screen  (Read 5621 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: DiGiCo D1 Screen
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:36:07 AM »

From another forum:

" I'm now hitting riders with my X32 at monitors, replacing a Heritage 3000 for shows under 32 channels. "

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/another-reason-to-go-m32-rather-than-x32.42752/page-2#post-370895

Yeah, I read that over at CB.  Methinks there is some confusion as these desks are not interchangeable, but it's only a few more years before the *people* side of the analog interface age out of the business.

Previously told story:  12 years ago I'd get BEs who'd never used a digital mixer, now I get BEs who've never mixed a show on analog...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

Yeah, I read that over at CB.  Methinks there is some confusion as these desks are not interchangeable...
Taken at face value, they apparently are interchangeable for at least some shows.  Does the H3000 do more than an X32?  Yes.  Does the H3000 do less than the X32?  Yes - extra processing, IPad control, etc.

I have personally shoved aside a Heritage 2000 in favor of an M7, in part because of the "mostly working" state of the board in question, which is fairly typical of large analog boards. 

I am not a Digico expert, but it's my recollection that the early Digicos were famous for unreliability.  It is still common that larger boards come with 2 power supplies, based on the history that at one time power supply failure was likely. 

You can love or hate the direction of the world, but it's hard to fight commoditization of everything.  By all evidence I've seen, the cheap boards are as reliable as the big dogs, and you can bet a replacement screen for an X32 costs a whole lot less than $4500.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

Taken at face value, they apparently are interchangeable for at least some shows.  Does the H3000 do more than an X32?  Yes.  Does the H3000 do less than the X32?  Yes - extra processing, IPad control, etc.

I have personally shoved aside a Heritage 2000 in favor of an M7, in part because of the "mostly working" state of the board in question, which is fairly typical of large analog boards. 

I am not a Digico expert, but it's my recollection that the early Digicos were famous for unreliability.  It is still common that larger boards come with 2 power supplies, based on the history that at one time power supply failure was likely. 

You can love or hate the direction of the world, but it's hard to fight commoditization of everything.  By all evidence I've seen, the cheap boards are as reliable as the big dogs, and you can bet a replacement screen for an X32 costs a whole lot less than $4500.

For some users the consoles are not interchangeable in spite of what you & I both think. ;)  That's why I mentioned the human side of the UI...

From a working perspective I don't miss the barge-size analog consoles; that bit of nostalgia disappears when my back pain visits.

I just did a show with an act that insists on analog and frankly didn't hear anything that made it better or worse, the consideration was the BE's preference and as I said, we graybeards are close to retirement.

I think the X32 replacement screen is <$150.

The comments about how old the D1 is and the cost/SOTA back when it was build are correct.  We've benefited tremendously from improvements in design and production of touch screens and the costs have dropped a Whole Lot.  DigiCo does not benefit from having old, expensive technology on the self and costing them every year to keep in inventory.  Likewise, with the model a legacy item there's no money in making a new interface to use a newer screen.  The clock hands are turning to "disposable" much faster than I'd like...

We're largely on the same page here, TJ...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 02:54:34 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.