ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moderately Priced Walkie Talkies for School Theater  (Read 3590 times)

jesseweiss

Moderately Priced Walkie Talkies for School Theater
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:03 PM »

My colleague who directs the productions at the middle school where I run sound is looking to upgrade the walkies they use from the booth to backstage (100-150 ft).

The issue is the headset connectors pull out to easily, and if they are out a little it messes everything up.

They use inexpensive Motorla Talkabout's right now (the type that are like $25 each).

Any recommendations for better walkies with more stable headset connections (locking the way Shure connectors do) that aren't $400 each?

Daniel Nickleski

Re: Moderately Priced Walkie Talkies for School Theater
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »

My colleague who directs the productions at the middle school where I run sound is looking to upgrade the walkies they use from the booth to backstage (100-150 ft).

The issue is the headset connectors pull out to easily, and if they are out a little it messes everything up.

They use inexpensive Motorla Talkabout's right now (the type that are like $25 each).

Any recommendations for better walkies with more stable headset connections (locking the way Shure connectors do) that aren't $400 each?

Check out the RCA BR250. Good quality, built well, and locking connections for the hand / headsets.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »

Are you just looking for "license-free" radios like the Talkabouts, or would you also be considering radios that require a license to operate? (Incidentally, the RCA BR250s are in the latter category and can't be operated legally in most jurisdictions without a site-specific license.)

-Russ

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

I have 6 Motorola RMU2050's and they work pretty well for that sort of application. The headset connector seats firmly, and there's a 6 bay charger available. They're public frequencies, so no license required, and they have decent range for only being 2 watts. I don't use mine much anymore, they've just been sitting around for a while, but they're nice little radios. If you can bump up to a 4 or 5 watt radio (which require licensing) you'll notice a huge improvement in range, but the RMU2050 is about as good as you can get without a license.

They're around $200 each once you include accessories, so they're not nearly as cheap as what you're using now, but their build more like "real" radios.

Do you currently have a wired intercom system (Clearcom or otherwise) in your theater? It sounds like you're relying solely on radios for communication backstage. If you don't have a standard wired intercom already, I think that would be a better use of funds than spending more on radios. Radios are great for lots of things, but intercom is much better suited to theatre applications.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

jesseweiss

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

I have 6 Motorola RMU2050's and they work pretty well for that sort of application. The headset connector seats firmly, and there's a 6 bay charger available. They're public frequencies, so no license required, and they have decent range for only being 2 watts. I don't use mine much anymore, they've just been sitting around for a while, but they're nice little radios. If you can bump up to a 4 or 5 watt radio (which require licensing) you'll notice a huge improvement in range, but the RMU2050 is about as good as you can get without a license.

They're around $200 each once you include accessories, so they're not nearly as cheap as what you're using now, but their build more like "real" radios.

Do you currently have a wired intercom system (Clearcom or otherwise) in your theater? It sounds like you're relying solely on radios for communication backstage. If you don't have a standard wired intercom already, I think that would be a better use of funds than spending more on radios. Radios are great for lots of things, but intercom is much better suited to theatre applications.
We used to have TalkBack, but I don't think it's setup anymore.

The system was updated to an LS9 from the analog desk and the wiring was apparently done poorly.

Once I got involved I had a pro come in and try to clean up the install, but he was limited by budget, time, and having to leave the school PA interrupt patched in (announcements have to be able to override theater PA).

It's a good idea and something I'll look into.

In the meantime, we'll check out the better Motorola radios you mentioned.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:09:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.