ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X32 routing outputs  (Read 6566 times)

Mattijs Bosveld

X32 routing outputs
« on: November 15, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, so I will shortly introduce myself:
I'm Mattijs and in our church i'm responsible for replacing our old gear with new stuff.
One of the things I intend to do is to purchase a Behringer X32, for many different reasons.

In designing the layout on paper I have some questions.

I want to have as many outputs as possible available for monitor mixes, because in our church it's very important to be able to keep the monitorlevels as low as possible, so that it won't interfere with the FOH mix.
But at the same time I need some outputs for 2 main mixes and a livestream feed.
For the livestream sound I need to mix in the drums (which won't go to the FOH mix) and ambient mic's.
Searching the internet everybody is talking about Matrices but that raises the following question.
Matrices will only be feeded by busmixes. So to be able to do what I want, my understanding is that to use the Matrix I will have to route my drums and ambient sound to a subgroup and then I need to mix my Mainmix with that particular subgroup. So I will need to give up to buses (subgroup and Matrix) to do this. That seems a bit inefficient to me.
As I said, I hope to keep as much as possible outputs available for monitor sends.
Right now my outputs will be:
Mainmix 1 (L,R)
Mainmix 2 (L,R) (two different mixes for multiple speakersetups in the church)
Livefeed (can be mono)
Induction loop mono (I presume that's what it's called in English, I mean the system for people with a hearing aid)

Isn't it more effecient to route the seperate channels that need to go to the livefeed to a seperate bus and mix the whole thing on a seperate ipad?

Robert Lofgren

Re: X32 routing outputs
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:20 AM »

I want to have as many outputs as possible available for monitor mixes, because in our church it's very important to be able to keep the monitorlevels as low as possible, so that it won't interfere with the FOH mix.
But at the same time I need some outputs for 2 main mixes and a livestream feed.
For the livestream sound I need to mix in the drums (which won't go to the FOH mix) and ambient mic's.
Searching the internet everybody is talking about Matrices but that raises the following question.
Matrices will only be feeded by busmixes. So to be able to do what I want, my understanding is that to use the Matrix I will have to route my drums and ambient sound to a subgroup and then I need to mix my Mainmix with that particular subgroup. So I will need to give up to buses (subgroup and Matrix) to do this. That seems a bit inefficient to me.
As I said, I hope to keep as much as possible outputs available for monitor sends.
In quite a few cases the drums are normally sent to a subgroup already so there is usually no issue regarding giving up mixbuses. But no matter what you need to use a mixbus anyway to create your livefeed mix. The mixing of it is just a matter of workflow taste.

If you don't use the mono bus you can use this for your livefeed and keep the normal mixbuses for your other tasks. This will give you the option to balance the mix post fader. One drawback with this is that the mix is post eq and may or may not be an issue for you.

Creating a mix pre fader/eq is a pain unless you have a dedicated livefeed soundguy that need to be isolated from the FoH audio to properly mix the audio.

I can't see in your setup if you already are using some/all of the matrixes or not but I'd probably use the mono bus for the drummix and ambience and send that into a matrix that also is being feed from the main mix to be used as your livefeed.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:45 PM »

The mixer has 16 buss mixes AND 16 omni outputs that are all fully assignable. You can put the L/R mix on all 16 outputs if you want and you can do as you wish with the buss mixes. The matrices are fed via the buss mixes and the L/R mix.

If the fear is running out of buss mixes to run monitors with, then yes running the drums through a sub-group will steal two potential mix buss's. You will have to weight your value in potential though. You may not need 4 FX sends? If you reduce your FX down to 2, you will gain back 2 mix buss's. You may only want to add the drums into the matrix in mono if you are only sending a mono signal to the record feed.

There is another way to add outputs as well. You can send out via the AUX sends. The X32 actually has 22 fully assignable outputs. You are still locked in on 16 mix buss's though. This doesn't include the mono buss though. So I guess technically 19 mix buss's if you factor L/R & Mono.

If it were me, I would do as mentioned above and do the drums through the mono buss and blend it into a single matrix. This will eat ZERO mix buss's and you can use the AUX outs to send to record or whatever you need. With the AUX outs you will still have 18 sends available for monitors; more than you have mix buss's available for.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Andy Deglado

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 07:57:47 PM »

I cheated. I have the main LR going to mains, the mono buss is powering our subwoofer. Each of our musicians uses an in ear amp that comes directly from the mix bus to a Behringer P1 Personal Monitor. I am using 1 mix bus for recording to cd and the live stream. I'm cheating because I send the recording/stream mix out an aux to a Behringer HA400 Headphone Amp, then to the Mac that streams, the cd recorder, and the amplified wireless headset that one of our members needs.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber