ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cymatic Card Issue  (Read 4989 times)

John Chiara

Cymatic Card Issue
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »

Recorded a whole night last Sat from X32...recording is in 7 min 45 sec clips?
Anybody?

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Cymatic Card Issue
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »

Recorded a whole night last Sat from X32...recording is in 7 min 45 sec clips?
Anybody?

I'm going to guess that the clips are 'multitrack files' rather than individual Wav/AIFF files.  If so, are the clips all right at 4GB, which is the file size limit for FAT32 Disk Format?  I've seen that kind of problem before.

The good news is, that the clips should line right up in a DAW with no information missing.  You just need a DAW that supports multitrack files, which most do at this point.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Caley Monahon-Ward

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »

Yep, Brian’s got it. I tested the Cymatic standalone recorder for an install and was disappointed to find that it records only in polyphonic wav (the whole multitrack interleaved into one file). I assume their X32 card operates the same way. As Brian suggests, these poly wavs are split at the file size limit. If your DAW doesn’t handle poly wavs well or if you don’t feel like conjoining them all, Cymatic has a freeware program to ingest the poly wavs and output multiple full-length mono wavs. I found it way too clunky to use on a regular basis and went with a different solution. But for occasional use, especially if you don’t have to deliver client-readable files immediately after a show, the Cymatic workflow might be fine. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 10:57:57 PM »

Yep, Brian’s got it. I tested the Cymatic standalone recorder for an install and was disappointed to find that it records only in polyphonic wav (the whole multitrack interleaved into one file). I assume their X32 card operates the same way. As Brian suggests, these poly wavs are split at the file size limit. If your DAW doesn’t handle poly wavs well or if you don’t feel like conjoining them all, Cymatic has a freeware program to ingest the poly wavs and output multiple full-length mono wavs. I found it way too clunky to use on a regular basis and went with a different solution. But for occasional use, especially if you don’t have to deliver client-readable files immediately after a show, the Cymatic workflow might be fine. Good luck!

Polyphonic .WAV files.  Now i know what they are called.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Caley Monahon-Ward

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 10:41:59 AM »

Yep! Much more common in film sound workflows, not so much in music world. Can be handy though. I end up making poly wavs from time to time to interleave click with stereo or multichannel audio so I can do playback from Qlab and scrub across the whole file in rehearsal without having to put the whole thing in a DAW.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

I'm going to guess that the clips are 'multitrack files' rather than individual Wav/AIFF files.  If so, are the clips all right at 4GB, which is the file size limit for FAT32 Disk Format?  I've seen that kind of problem before.

The good news is, that the clips should line right up in a DAW with no information missing.  You just need a DAW that supports multitrack files, which most do at this point.

But I used it before and it recorded a whole set..1 1/2 hours and it was all one 'session.'

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 01:26:38 PM »

But I used it before and it recorded a whole set..1 1/2 hours and it was all one 'session.'

If FAT32 is the problem You would have had to record approx 64 tracks@48kHz 24 bit to hit the 4 GB limit.

Caley Monahon-Ward

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/audio-record-time-calculations gives me 32 tracks @ 48/24 for 7 minutes, 35 seconds in 2GB. Checked my notes and the Cymatic unit I had was splitting files at 2GB, the FAT16 limit, so that’s making some sense to me. Maybe fewer tracks armed on the earlier set? Different drive formats? Hate to ask, but... what does the manual say?

John Chiara

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »

https://www.sounddevices.com/tech-notes/audio-record-time-calculations gives me 32 tracks @ 48/24 for 7 minutes, 35 seconds in 2GB. Checked my notes and the Cymatic unit I had was splitting files at 2GB, the FAT16 limit, so that’s making some sense to me. Maybe fewer tracks armed on the earlier set? Different drive formats? Hate to ask, but... what does the manual say?

I wasn't arming any tracks in either recording session. It always recorded 32.

Caley Monahon-Ward

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »

Ok. I’m not sure how the earlier set would have been recorded without the files being split. From the uTool manual, which is Cymatic’s file conversion app:

The uTrack24/uTrack-X32 (hereby described as simply “uTrack”) record and playback multichannel wave files. The uTrack recording file length may often exceed the file size limitations of standard DAW’s (2 GB). To tackle this problem, every time the recording multichannel file reaches the critical size of 2GB, the uTrack will automatically create a new multichannel recording file ("Chunk") within the song, without losing any samples.  uTool offers file conversion utilities, allowing you to move files between your uTrack and DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software on your computer. 

Did the files convert OK when you dropped them into uTool?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.