ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover, L-Pad, Impedence, Resistance question  (Read 20770 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Crossover, L-Pad, Impedence, Resistance question
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2017, 07:26:23 AM »

Yes, technically you really only need to switch the positive connections to take the crossover out of the circuit.
Assuming the + of the HF is not hooked to the common of the xover.

And also assuming the crossover is a normal parallel type, and not a series type.

Yeah, the details matter.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

Yes, technically you really only need to switch the positive connections to take the crossover out of the circuit.
I think the X-over + terminals must be taken completely off all drivers, too.  Otherwise, the X-Over will still affect the drivers.  I think I can picture doing this with a 4-pole, double throw switch.  I'll have to draw it out. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »

I think the X-over + terminals must be taken completely off all drivers, too.  Otherwise, the X-Over will still affect the drivers.  I think I can picture doing this with a 4-pole, double throw switch.  I'll have to draw it out.

Yes.  Completely disconnecting the transducers from the passive crossover is the best practice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »

But if you look at the diagram shown, there is no path for the other parts to affect the signal.

Yes they are still hooked up, but they aren't doing anything, so it is fine.

It is only when there is a path for the passive parts that it becomes an issue
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jeff Schoonover1

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

Well, here's a clean drawing, but without X-over removed from circuit.  I think I'd need an 8-pole to simultaneously lift the crossover connections when in Bi-Amp mode...  I'd really like to do this with one, not two switches.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:39:35 PM by Jeff Schoonover1 »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 01:11:54 PM »

Well, here's a clean drawing, but without X-over removed from circuit.  I think I'd need an 8-pole to simultaneously lift the crossover connections when in Bi-Amp mode...  I'd really like to do this with one, not two switches.

Could always do something like this....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »

You're overthinking this, the 4PDT you proposed will work just fine.

The common terminals of the switch go to the transducer; one side of the DT goes to the crossover pass band outputs, the other side of the DT goes to your HI/LOW input jacks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 03:52:10 PM »

If you happen to keep the crossover parts connected to the driver(s), interesting things can happen to the impedance curve - you could end up with a near-short at some frequencies. A capacitor across a midbass driver, for instance, would tend towards a short at HF. That's gonna make a lot of amps unhappy.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »

You're overthinking this, the 4PDT you proposed will work just fine.

The common terminals of the switch go to the transducer; one side of the DT goes to the crossover pass band outputs, the other side of the DT goes to your HI/LOW input jacks.

That will switch the transducers between their 2 sources, but it leaves the input to the crossover in circuit as an additional load on the amplifier when in biamp mode. If this is not a problem a single 4PDT is the way to go. Be sure it has a sufficient AC current rating.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Shouldn't the minus side of the input to the crossover come from the #1 minus contact on the speakon?

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 04:18:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.