ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker stack from last weekend  (Read 6679 times)

Doug de Werd

Speaker stack from last weekend
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »

Hi all,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster. Learned a lot over the years here  :)

My band played a multi-band festival on a baseball field last Saturday. Stage set up behind home plate.

This is the setup. Sorry for the bad pics, I wish I would have taken one from behind so I could see all the model #'s. Quite a mish mash. Lots of JBL (SRX I think), a couple of KF650's, Yamaha double 18's (maybe sw218?).

Decent gear, Soundcraft Impact SI, separate monitor console, lots of amp racks. I didn't get a chance to see all of it up close.

It was loud, but not particularly clear. But it sure looked impressive! Lots of comb filtering as I walked back and forth. I figure they could have brought 1/3 of what they did and have it be just as loud and sound a lot better.

Blue tarp over the stage, flapping in the wind by the end of the night (no rain though).

Cheers,
Doug

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Speaker stack from last weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »

For the amount of work required to do that setup, a small bit of math would have saved them a bunch of time and energy for a better result with similar coverage and output.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 01:43:45 PM »

Hi all,

Long time lurker, infrequent poster. Learned a lot over the years here  :)

My band played a multi-band festival on a baseball field last Saturday. Stage set up behind home plate.

This is the setup. Sorry for the bad pics, I wish I would have taken one from behind so I could see all the model #'s. Quite a mish mash. Lots of JBL (SRX I think), a couple of KF650's, Yamaha double 18's (maybe sw218?).

Decent gear, Soundcraft Impact SI, separate monitor console, lots of amp racks. I didn't get a chance to see all of it up close.

It was loud, but not particularly clear. But it sure looked impressive! Lots of comb filtering as I walked back and forth. I figure they could have brought 1/3 of what they did and have it be just as loud and sound a lot better.

Blue tarp over the stage, flapping in the wind by the end of the night (no rain though).

Cheers,
Doug
They could have cut that whole pile and used the SRX boxes on the outside of the piles. They appear to be SRX.

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:56 PM »

Did anyone in the crowd say....

Wow Man! How many watts you puttin out?

Doug de Werd

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »

Did anyone in the crowd say....

Wow Man! How many watts you puttin out?

I meant to ask, just out of curiosity, but didn't get around to it. But in this teeny little rural Texas town (pop. 300), their "big" show of force was duly impressive to most folks.

And yes, they were all cabled up too!

Cheers,
Doug

Steve Crump

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »

I meant to ask, just out of curiosity, but didn't get around to it. But in this teeny little rural Texas town (pop. 300), their "big" show of force was duly impressive to most folks.

And yes, they were all cabled up too!

Cheers,
Doug

How many people were at the event?

Doug de Werd

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:53:33 PM »

How many people were at the event?

Ha, the (sad but) funny thing is they were hoping for 500+, but there was maybe 125.

FWIW, the guy organizing the thing told me he paid the sound company $800 for this, plus 2 crew (who also sat in with one of the bands).

Cheers,
Doug

Steve Crump

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 03:07:14 PM »

Ha, the (sad but) funny thing is they were hoping for 500+, but there was maybe 125.

FWIW, the guy organizing the thing told me he paid the sound company $800 for this, plus 2 crew (who also sat in with one of the bands).

Cheers,
Doug

What a trip. They definitely were not charging by the cabinet.

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »

They could have cut that whole pile and used the SRX boxes on the outside of the piles. They appear to be SRX.

My thoughts exactly. Someone was trying to grandstand..

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »

Back in the day I knew folks who would pile up empty cabinets to look impressive.  First 5 way system I saw at the the Honolulu International Center arena for George Benson and was two 5 ways per side.  The best I ever heard in there.  Huge pile of horn cabs in a tray over the stage to look impressive but there was nothing in them.
Maybe not all of these were on.  Then again, being Texas (my father's from West Texas) maybe they were.  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 19 queries.