ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheaper Alternative to DPA 4099 (D:Vote)  (Read 637 times)

Mark Olsen

• Omaha, Nebraska
Cheaper Alternative to DPA 4099 (D:Vote)
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:13 am »

As the title says .. anyone know anything even close to that DPA 4099, for say USD$300?

I currently have two of the 4099s and I absolutely love them. I have multiple mounts for different instruments and I love them, probably the most versatile microphone I have in my kit.
However, I work with a lot of churches and smaller artists, and for these guys $600 on a microphone is a bit much. They always ask me for recommendations and I don't know what to tell them.
I googled and it looks like the AKG 516 and ATM 350 might be a options, but they seem to be far less flexible with mounting options ..

Mark

Christian Ekren

Re: Cheaper Alternative to DPA 4099 (D:Vote)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:07:12 am »

The Shure Beta98 comes in a variety of mounting flavors in a similar form factor to the 4099.

Also might be worth looking at the Audio Technica ATM350 (or even the PRO35)

Ryan Grandusky

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:45:37 pm »

DPA wins at mounting options and flexibility hands down. But I think the Pro 35 is a great lower cost option. I am very happy with the results I get from my Pro 35's on a variety of instruments. The ATM 350 did come with both the clip on goose-neck and a violin mount, if that second style mount is important it can be bought separately and used with the Pro 35.
Ryan "Squirrel" Grandusky
Independent Sound Provider based out of Temple, Tx.
Speakers: EV XLD281, QRX153, QRX115, ELX115, ZX1, SB122, XSUBS, Yorkville LS2100P, JTR Growler, Yamaha SM15V, A12M.
Consoles: Yamaha M7CL-48, LS9-32, Soundcraft Si Exp 3, Si Compact 24, Behringer X32, Mackie DL1608

Helge Dr. Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:26:16 pm »

In terms of sound quality, you have no other options.
DPA is not cheap, but comes with a matching sound quality.

In terms of mountiong options and flexibility there are other options, but not with a matching SQ.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22:34 pm »

Hi Mark,

What instruments do you want to put mics on
and
how loud are the stages?
IEMs or wedges?

For Fiddles, Mandolins, Bouzoukis, Banjos and more I'm using a bunch of mics from Bartlett Audio:

https://www.bartlettaudio.com/collections/instrument-mics

The ATM350 is a good mic but I generally use more EQ with it than the Bartletts.

Compared to the omni Bartletts, the 4099, and in particular the ATM350, have more low-mid presence, which can be useful, or not.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

Mark Stanger

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:13:09 am »

As the title says .. anyone know anything even close to that DPA 4099, for say USD$300?
Mark

At that price point, I would recommend the Thor:Hammer: https://www.amazon.com/Thor-Wireless-Headset-Microphone-connector/dp/B06Y2GS1SW by AVE. It's a legit headworn that's made well.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:29 am »

At that price point, I would recommend the Thor:Hammer: https://www.amazon.com/Thor-Wireless-Headset-Microphone-connector/dp/B06Y2GS1SW by AVE. It's a legit headworn that's made well.

The DPA 4099 is not a headworn microphone, it's a gooseneck instrument mic. Unless the instrument he's miking is a violin, viola, or flute, it's unlikely that your suggestion will work well.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Roland Clarke

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:55 pm »

As others have pointed out the 4099 is in a league of its own, however, the atm 350 is a good bet, albeit at a lower performance level.  I donít personally recommend the at35 my experience is that it doesnít have the headroom for many clipon applications.

Mark Olsen

• Omaha, Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 08:53:51 am »

Thanks for the responses everyone, I guess it kind of reinforced what I already knew, that the DPA 4099 is awesome, and no-one else comes close.

I'll see if I can find one of the ATM350 or Pro 35 but it sounds like I'll be disappointed.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.