ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Effeau deux  (Read 6653 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Effeau deux
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »

The eyes need more sub, the ears did not.
Did a couple of shows with 1/2 the subs connected at the box, but shorting plugs in the other end.....
Anyone who looked saw plenty of blinky lights, and lots of cables....
Just because you brought them, doesn't mean it's NEEDED for the show at hand.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »

And the BE probably won't, either.

TL;DR... (story time)

A few years ago we did a gig for another provider who double-booked; the provider sent a rep to oversee client side stuff and interface with the performer's crew.

It was a typical small festival - weekend on hydraulic stage in a city park, coverage area was about 80' by 140'.  We took 8 VerTec 4887 (to make fly point weight) and 3 VerTec 4880 subs per side.  BE was not happy that he saw only half the subs he wanted... "I told that *&^%@#$  I wanted 6 doubles a side, not 6 18s a side..."  I punted this back to the provider rep and went about satisfying his other need, an increase in system input sensitivity.  He was carrying an XL250 or Heritage with a nice double wide of vintage and current analog i/o processing.  When I asked why he needed more system gain, his response was "I don't want to drive my desk that hard."

What?  A Midas without red lights flickering?  The HERESY!

Anyway it was a fairly easy request to fulfill...  and watching the I-Tech output levels in System Architect I noticed that he never came close to using the subs to full output... so much for "needing" more subs.

Or the opposite issue...

Had a very nice d&b rig outside for an A-list act.  We were also using the show as a demo for a possible system sale, so we brought Plenty of Rig for the Gig.

Anyway, the opener was a local/regional act that clearly spent all their time in small clubs, because while the mains were running at a reasonable level, the Aux feeding the Subs was hitting the clip light on every Kick Drum beat.  Not a big deal as there was plenty of limiting present to keep everything safe, but the low end was DEVASTATING.  Like "heart-stopping, i can't even breathe" levels of sub.  And the BE was oblivious.

I had R1 running so i just went in and lowered the inputs on the sub amps until the levels were a little less stupid.  Again, BE never even noticed.  It was clear that he was so used to mixing with his eyes ["I know the sub send needs to be at clip since there's never enough subs"] that he wasn't really listening.

[The A-list BE brought his own XL4 and outboard and his act sounded Amazing!  And yeah, i turned the amps back up for him...  :)]
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

george welder

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:25 PM »

80% deposit up front, the remaining 40% at load in. ;-)

This made up for the rest of my day.  :)

Mike Smith

• Event Technical Systems
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:45 AM »

And the BE probably won't, either.

TL;DR... (story time)

A few years ago we did a gig for another provider who double-booked; the provider sent a rep to oversee client side stuff and interface with the performer's crew.

It was a typical small festival - weekend on hydraulic stage in a city park, coverage area was about 80' by 140'.  We took 8 VerTec 4887 (to make fly point weight) and 3 VerTec 4880 subs per side.  BE was not happy that he saw only half the subs he wanted... "I told that *&^%@#$  I wanted 6 doubles a side, not 6 18s a side..."  I punted this back to the provider rep and went about satisfying his other need, an increase in system input sensitivity.  He was carrying an XL250 or Heritage with a nice double wide of vintage and current analog i/o processing.  When I asked why he needed more system gain, his response was "I don't want to drive my desk that hard."

What?  A Midas without red lights flickering?  The HERESY!

Anyway it was a fairly easy request to fulfill...  and watching the I-Tech output levels in System Architect I noticed that he never came close to using the subs to full output... so much for "needing" more subs.

Wasn't the Midas Heresy their last large-format analog mixer?
Mike Smith

Event Technical Systems

http://www.eventtechnicalsystems.com/

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 07:57:36 AM »

Wasn't the Midas Heresy their last large-format analog mixer?

Nope sorry, it was definitely small format, because I know for a fact that Heresy is a Midas console with no HPF knob.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »

I would just let the cost say no for me.  When advancing, I never say no.  Nothing is impossible, it just has a cost.  You need more subs?  Sure, that's $xxx for the truck, $xxx for the guy, $xxx for the gear.  Then add in kill seats for the sightline issues caused.  Then bounce it up to the artist agent and the promoter. 
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Dave Scarlett

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »

Sounds like the guy was using the Dunning-Kruger" effect

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:16 PM »

^^^^^^ So cold, I'm hearing the air freeze.

I'm so good at hearing, I can actually hear the air freeze ;)

It sound like ouch... :)
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »

If you listen very closely, you can hear how well this gig is selling

If you don't hear anything, you are correct. 

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 06:30:24 AM »

I would just let the cost say no for me.  When advancing, I never say no.  Nothing is impossible, it just has a cost.  You need more subs?  Sure, that's $xxx for the truck, $xxx for the guy, $xxx for the gear.  Then add in kill seats for the sightline issues caused.  Then bounce it up to the artist agent and the promoter.

This!

Works every time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 06:30:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.