ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Effeau deux  (Read 6646 times)

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
Effeau deux
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:24:54 PM »

“You don’t have enough subs”

“I’m offering you 105dB/meter per stack at -24dBu drive with max output 135dBSPL before corner loading and room modes. That’s not enough?”

“I don’t need a lesson after 30years of advancing audio double the number of subs please”

Unfortunately, upon further review, all performance requirements of the rider will be met as specified. Furthermore I cannot in good conscience subject the 600 people, who for some reason voluntarily paid money to be subjected to this, to involuntary bowel resonance events.

The cleanup really isn’t in the budget. Might I suggest consulting Beltone for an evaluation? For you I would recommend the miracle ear by Beats edition.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Effeau deux
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:01:47 PM »

“I’m offering you 105dB/meter per stack at -24dBu drive with max output 135dBSPL before corner loading and room modes. That’s not enough?”

“I don’t need a lesson after 30years of advancing audio double the number of subs please”

Unfortunately, upon further review, all performance requirements of the rider will be met as specified. Furthermore I cannot in good conscience subject the 600 people, who for some reason voluntarily paid money to be subjected to this, to involuntary bowel resonance events.

The cleanup really isn’t in the budget. Might I suggest consulting Beltone for an evaluation? For you I would recommend the miracle ear by Beats edition.
Of course it depends on the location where those SPLs are predicted.

All that some people know is "simple numbers" of cabinets.

There is A LOT more to it than that-but they can't/won't understand.

I have actually had sound guys not show up for the gig, because they said they would be embarrassed by not having enough subs.

And then gotten compliments saying that is the best the band has sounded in years.

I guess that is all I need to know about the "expert soundman".

But some of them feel they "know it all".  Oh well.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »

Two questions:
>Does the rider include one of those Sonic Crapalizer thingies?
>Does someone have to pick out all the green GummiBears? or something like that.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »

Sure, whatever you say, pal.  I'll bring you the brand new *Arpege* subs!  Infinitely loud at any distance at any drive level.

Arpege (the perfume, not the restaurant) had a TV advertising campaign back in thes 1960 and 1970s that featured a loving couple where the gentleman was having difficulty deciding on a gift.  The advert's tag line "Promise her anything but give her Arpege." 

Arpege is what you get when the promoter decides what he's gonna pay for.  Arpege is what you get when you decided to advance your show <24 hours before load in or after the truck has been packed.  Arpege is what you get when you're a dick...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »

The sub package that's inadequate for this guy once, and only once, got tight packed center in the very venue he's playing.

...That's not allowed anymore because half of the 20w decorative incadecent lamps in the venue blew out from the filaments shaking, and there's hundreds of them in there.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:29:30 PM »

Sure, whatever you say, pal.  I'll bring you the brand new *Arpege* subs!  Infinitely loud at any distance at any drive level.

Arpege (the perfume, not the restaurant) had a TV advertising campaign back in thes 1960 and 1970s that featured a loving couple where the gentleman was having difficulty deciding on a gift.  The advert's tag line "Promise her anything but give her Arpege." 

Arpege is what you get when the promoter decides what he's gonna pay for.  Arpege is what you get when you decided to advance your show <24 hours before load in or after the truck has been packed.  Arpege is what you get when you're a dick...

Or in some cases on your dick.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:40:19 PM »

80% deposit up front, the remaining 40% at load in. ;-)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »

Dude obviously does need a lesson, so I think we should go back and forth a little more about doubling the subs just for kicks, I try and have the promoter shut it down, and ultimately he gets what he wants but the extra subs come out of his settlement.

... and I wait until that juncture to point out that he got what he wanted but had to fight tooth and nail and spent hard earned cash, all for 3dB.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »

... and I wait until that juncture to point out that he got what he wanted but had to fight tooth and nail and spent hard earned cash, all for 3dB.

And NO PAYING CUSTOMER heard the difference !!!!!
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »

And NO PAYING CUSTOMER heard the difference !!!!!
Chris.

And the BE probably won't, either.

TL;DR... (story time)

A few years ago we did a gig for another provider who double-booked; the provider sent a rep to oversee client side stuff and interface with the performer's crew.

It was a typical small festival - weekend on hydraulic stage in a city park, coverage area was about 80' by 140'.  We took 8 VerTec 4887 (to make fly point weight) and 3 VerTec 4880 subs per side.  BE was not happy that he saw only half the subs he wanted... "I told that *&^%@#$  I wanted 6 doubles a side, not 6 18s a side..."  I punted this back to the provider rep and went about satisfying his other need, an increase in system input sensitivity.  He was carrying an XL250 or Heritage with a nice double wide of vintage and current analog i/o processing.  When I asked why he needed more system gain, his response was "I don't want to drive my desk that hard."

What?  A Midas without red lights flickering?  The HERESY!

Anyway it was a fairly easy request to fulfill...  and watching the I-Tech output levels in System Architect I noticed that he never came close to using the subs to full output... so much for "needing" more subs.

The eyes need more sub, the ears did not.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.