ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Icecrypt S6600HD satellite receiver - dolby 5.1 audio extraction.  (Read 4549 times)

Alex Jolly

Hi, had the icecrypt S6600HDPVR installed with satellite dish for receiving NT Live theatre performances. Trying to get 5.1 surround sound to send to house PA. Initially tried the optical out straight to motu 828mk2 soundcard. On motu setting spdif works for stereo but when set to ADAT i get 6 channels of digital noise. Install company seems know less than me about the audio side even though 5.1 surround was specified!

I set the icecrypt preferences to send dolby digital 5.1
I'm wondering if a dolby decoder is required or whether decode is done in the icecrypt itself??
The icecrypt manual seems a bit vague on surround sound and i'm thinking maybe it can only pass stereo spdif signal via its optical output in which case I should look at the hdmi instead.
I've found hdmi audio extractors online which convert hdmi to toslink which i can send audio to soundcard but i'm not sure if this covers dolby decoding if required.
I've also seen dolby decoders which give 5.1/7.1 output on toslink as well as rca etc.
Aside from buying an av receiver with dolby decoding etc i'm trying to find a slightly cheaper solution to get usable 5.1 audio into our console and PA.

Been looking at a few bits on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Surround-Extractor-Adjustable-Decoding/dp/B076J7YDSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510593162&sr=8-1&keywords=dolby+digital+hdmi+decoder

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LL5RI3Y/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

Can anyone give me any pointers on the best way to go about getting 5.1 audio from the satellite receiver and whether a decoder or just an extractor might be required?

Many thanks.

Ax

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Hi, had the icecrypt S6600HDPVR installed with satellite dish for receiving NT Live theatre performances. Trying to get 5.1 surround sound to send to house PA. Initially tried the optical out straight to motu 828mk2 soundcard. On motu setting spdif works for stereo but when set to ADAT i get 6 channels of digital noise. Install company seems know less than me about the audio side even though 5.1 surround was specified!

I set the icecrypt preferences to send dolby digital 5.1
I'm wondering if a dolby decoder is required or whether decode is done in the icecrypt itself??
The icecrypt manual seems a bit vague on surround sound and i'm thinking maybe it can only pass stereo spdif signal via its optical output in which case I should look at the hdmi instead.
I've found hdmi audio extractors online which convert hdmi to toslink which i can send audio to soundcard but i'm not sure if this covers dolby decoding if required.
I've also seen dolby decoders which give 5.1/7.1 output on toslink as well as rca etc.
Aside from buying an av receiver with dolby decoding etc i'm trying to find a slightly cheaper solution to get usable 5.1 audio into our console and PA.

Been looking at a few bits on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tendak-Surround-Extractor-Adjustable-Decoding/dp/B076J7YDSC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510593162&sr=8-1&keywords=dolby+digital+hdmi+decoder

Can anyone give me any pointers on the best way to go about getting 5.1 audio from the satellite receiver and whether a decoder or just an extractor might be required?

Many thanks.

Ax

Toslink is a 2 ch protocol over fiber and is compatible with s/pdif which uses coax.
ADAT is an 8 ch protocol commonly sent over fiber.
Neither of them has anything to do with Dolby. They are just wire replacements.

You need a decoder to extract the 5.1 information. At that point you have 6 ch of audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Alex Jolly

You need a decoder to extract the 5.1 information. At that point you have 6 ch of audio.

Thanks for the info Rob.

I'm unsure if an extractor such as the device below will decode a dolby 5.1 signal or whether I would still require a dolby decoder! The optical ouput is described as:

Audio output via Optical Toslink (SPDIF) digital audio port (5.1CH Mode)

Optical Toslink (SPDIF) audio output support incoming 2CH PCM, 5.1CH Dolby Digital, DTS digital audio (Not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and above)

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:17:19 PM by Alex Jolly »

Cailen Waddell

Help with Icecrypt S6600HD satellite receiver - dolby 5.1 audio extraction.
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »

That optical output is not going to give you a discrete multichannel output. It is going to give you a six channel encoded stream, as mentioned above you will need a decoder. Extron makes one that is OK, Denon makes one that is easy to use

Edited because autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:29:10 PM by Cailen Waddell »

Todd Cooke

• Williamsburg, VA

Thanks for the info Rob.

I'm unsure if an extractor such as the device below will decode a dolby 5.1 signal or whether I would still require a dolby decoder! The optical ouput is described as:

Audio output via Optical Toslink (SPDIF) digital audio port (5.1CH Mode)

Optical Toslink (SPDIF) audio output support incoming 2CH PCM, 5.1CH Dolby Digital, DTS digital audio (Not support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and above)

Thanks so much.

Alex,

I have the NT live setup at my venue with the same Sat receiver.  I have ours toslink out to a Dolby CP750 processor which decodes the audio to 5.1.  You need a Dolby decoder.  The device you are looking at will extract the un-decoded Dolby audio strem, but you would still need a processor to decode into your system.

Cheers,
Todd

Alex Jolly

Alex,

I have the NT live setup at my venue with the same Sat receiver.  I have ours toslink out to a Dolby CP750 processor which decodes the audio to 5.1.  You need a Dolby decoder.  The device you are looking at will extract the un-decoded Dolby audio strem, but you would still need a processor to decode into your system.

Cheers,
Todd

Thanks so much for clearing up my confusion Todd. Much obliged ; )

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.