ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me choose a sub woofer dxs18 vs jbl818xlf vs thomann 118a  (Read 16825 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Help me choose a sub woofer dxs18 vs jbl818xlf vs thomann 118a
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 04:00:04 PM »

jbl is worse or better than the yamaha?

They are different in ways that don't show up on a spec sheet.  You will need to listen to them to decide if which flavor, if either, is to your preference.

Also note that if you're using powered speakers from different brands you will need to look at how each implements filters and which box they are in...  If your top boxes don't have a HPF for use with subs, and your subs do not handle that, you will need external processing.

Sometimes it's not about how loud individual speakers can get, it's about how they deploy and work together...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

andy foster

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:20 AM »

They are different in ways that don't show up on a spec sheet.  You will need to listen to them to decide if which flavor, if either, is to your preference.

Also note that if you're using powered speakers from different brands you will need to look at how each implements filters and which box they are in...  If your top boxes don't have a HPF for use with subs, and your subs do not handle that, you will need external processing.

Sometimes it's not about how loud individual speakers can get, it's about how they deploy and work together...

i will be using jbl prx712 above the chosen subs

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:00 AM »

i will be using jbl prx712 above the chosen subs

Then you will want a sub that can provide a high-passed output to the tops.  My personal rig is the PRX712 over PRX718XLF.  Works great as a system, as the sub can provide a high-pass out.  It also helps that the sub sounds amazing and is relatively easy to move and set up.

My vote - stay JBL and get the 718XLF.

Derek D Sanchez

• DDSProductions.
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

We mostly use the JBL prx 615 with the Yamaha DXS18 and have for about a year, they work perfect and sound awesome, we just feed the Yamaha the main signal and jump to the tops, this comes from my QSC TouchWiz 30 that's all the processing I send. Before I had the JBL prx 618xlf for about 3 years and they are great subs but they don't have the output of the Yamaha dxs18 and you will notice you need more bass when you start going away from the system as we have. The Yamaha have a 4 inch coil  and they pound. People will say that never heard them that they are a one note sub, this is not true and I have compared them side to side and they sound similar in frequency response except that the Yamahas go louder, deeper think when you hear those low frequencies in a movie theater and is more focused, I think the JBL is less focused as the design just takes the bass in a wide area and you lose it the farther back you go. Like people have said NEXO put some magic into them and you can tell. Thanks Derek DDS Productions

Steve Garris

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:59 PM »

Then you will want a sub that can provide a high-passed output to the tops.  My personal rig is the PRX712 over PRX718XLF.  Works great as a system, as the sub can provide a high-pass out.  It also helps that the sub sounds amazing and is relatively easy to move and set up.

My vote - stay JBL and get the 718XLF.

This would be my vote as well. I have the 615's over the 618xlf's. It's a really good sounding rig and easy to deploy. The sub's can be dead-lifted and are easy to move.

andy foster

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »

We mostly use the JBL prx 615 with the Yamaha DXS18 and have for about a year, they work perfect and sound awesome, we just feed the Yamaha the main signal and jump to the tops, this comes from my QSC TouchWiz 30 that's all the processing I send. Before I had the JBL prx 618xlf for about 3 years and they are great subs but they don't have the output of the Yamaha dxs18 and you will notice you need more bass when you start going away from the system as we have. The Yamaha have a 4 inch coil  and they pound. People will say that never heard them that they are a one note sub, this is not true and I have compared them side to side and they sound similar in frequency response except that the Yamahas go louder, deeper think when you hear those low frequencies in a movie theater and is more focused, I think the JBL is less focused as the design just takes the bass in a wide area and you lose it the farther back you go. Like people have said NEXO put some magic into them and you can tell. Thanks Derek DDS Productions

am i right in thinking that the yamaha does infact have a high pass filter? why do you need the touch wiz if that is the case?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »

am i right in thinking that the yamaha does infact have a high pass filter? why do you need the touch wiz if that is the case?

He's probably doing his system EQ with the Touch.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

andy foster

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 03:55:09 PM »

thanks for the comments guys, i would like to add that i already own 8 other sub woofers and im aware of what a high pass filter is.

currently i own 8 samson 18" db1800a, this is the reason i am looking to upgrade. im pretty sure these are not very powerfull subs and would be viewed as budget grade.

they have served us well, even though i have never heard any other sub im assuming the yamaha will blow the samson out of the water or at least it better do.

we usually have to take out 4 subs under 2 jble prx to get any kind of decent sound.

i hope im not in for a shock when i get this yamaha and it only sounds marginally better than the samson, surely not right?

http://www.samsontech.com/site_media/legacy_docs/DB1800A.pdf

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »

thanks for the comments guys, i would like to add that i already own 8 other sub woofers and im aware of what a high pass filter is.

currently i own 8 samson 18" db1800a, this is the reason i am looking to upgrade. im pretty sure these are not very powerfull subs and would be viewed as budget grade.

they have served us well, even though i have never heard any other sub im assuming the yamaha will blow the samson out of the water or at least it better do.

we usually have to take out 4 subs under 2 jble prx to get any kind of decent sound.

i hope im not in for a shock when i get this yamaha and it only sounds marginally better than the samson, surely not right?

The Yamaha's will be a noticeable improvement. I can do any small bar with one sub a side.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »

I think you will find the Yamaha's to be night and day more powerful.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 06:39:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.