ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Up Keyboard Rig  (Read 13604 times)

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Re: Setting Up Keyboard Rig
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 11:02:31 PM »

This what one guy told me to do. Is he correct? Since I want to be able to run mainstage sounds, OR my Roland sounds, and a loops track, and a click. I didn't make that clear in my op, but now that I'm into it, I realize I need help with all of it.

So basically, I need to send 2 stereo channels to FOH for my sounds, one channel to FOH for loops/backing tracks, and another channel for the click track. Here's what he said:

- You need an audio interface with at least 4 outputs, like a Scarlett 2i4
- You will assign the channel outputs in Mainstage to a pair of the interface outputs (say Outputs 1-2), then assign the output channel for your loops to output 3 and the click to output 4.
- You will need a basic mixer to combine the Mainstage outputs and the Roland outputs.  The Rolls MX28 may seem too simple, but it does what you would need.
- You would need a total of 4 DI channels for everything.
I made up a little diagram below that shows the connections. There will be a few cable needs to think through as well. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Penny

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:37:17 AM »

Ok, so a bit more complex than I thought. Unfortunately I do not have any practical experience in setting up mainstage to work with tracks/loops, although I have seen it done once.  I do know if you google there are tutorials (text and youtube) out there on how to get mainstage and ableton to talk and work with each other.

As a sound guy one question I do have is are you limited to two tracks to FOH? Ideally I would be sending your mainstage rig, loops, click and preferably the roland to FOH as separate feeds. FOH can then deal with mixing them for the room (which is not what you will want for your in-ears).

One thing to note is the latency within mainstage will be different to the Roland so you may not want to use sounds from both at the same time.  Personally I have found better sounding samples/ synths to run through mainstage than those that come with the roland keyboards I have dealt with so I would only be connecting up the roland as the emergency for when mainstage crashes or does something strange.
Sound Guy
Gymea Baptist Church
Sydney, Australia
www.gymeabaptist.org.au

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:01 PM »

Ok, so a bit more complex than I thought. Unfortunately I do not have any practical experience in setting up mainstage to work with tracks/loops, although I have seen it done once.  I do know if you google there are tutorials (text and youtube) out there on how to get mainstage and ableton to talk and work with each other.

As a sound guy one question I do have is are you limited to two tracks to FOH? Ideally I would be sending your mainstage rig, loops, click and preferably the roland to FOH as separate feeds. FOH can then deal with mixing them for the room (which is not what you will want for your in-ears).

One thing to note is the latency within mainstage will be different to the Roland so you may not want to use sounds from both at the same time.  Personally I have found better sounding samples/ synths to run through mainstage than those that come with the roland keyboards I have dealt with so I would only be connecting up the roland as the emergency for when mainstage crashes or does something strange.

Exactly. I agree 100%. I’m only gonna use the Roland sounds, if something goes wrong and my MacBook crashes.

I’m totally cool with sending any # of channels to the board. We have plenty.

I just don’t know how to hook it all up. What cable to run from what device. That’s the part I need help with.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »

Connect to keyboard to the mac with USB
Connect the Mac to the Scarlet with USB

Take 2 jacks from the keyboard to a DI to the Stage box / snake
Take a 1/8" TRS to 2 1/4" TRS out of the mac to a DI and then to the Stage box / snake
Take 2 jack from the scarlet 2i2 to a DI then to the Stage box/snake

Setup an aggregate IO on the mac with the scarlet and the built in output

Run your tracks on the built in output and Mainstage on the scarlet (You should have gotten a 2i4 or larger even, it's useful to send tracks in stereo and cue and click on two separate channels but you will have to deal with it for now)

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:44 AM »

For the DI though I would just buy a ProD8 and use that...
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Setting Up Keyboard Rig
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee. Thank you! I will try this tonight. But a couple  questions:

1. It’s funny you mention the interface, I actually went and purchased a 6i6. How does that change the setup?

2. I only have two Pro D2 direct boxes. I do have another direct box but I don’t think it does stereo.

3. What about the Rolls mx that I have. Not needed?

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:46:39 PM by Isaac South »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee. Thank you! I will try this tonight. But a couple  questions:

1. It’s funny you mention the interface, I actually went and purchase a 6i6. How does that change the setup?

2. I only have two Pro D2 direct boxes. I do have another direct box but I don’t think it does stereo.

3. What about the Rolls mx that I have. Not needed?

1. In stead of doing the aggregate audio thing send MainStage on 2 outputs, put your loops on another 2 outputs and put click on the 5th, if you have a CUE track put that on the last output.

2. As I said you can go from the 6i6 with a TRS to XLR cable and it should be fine, the DI is really a precaution but I think Focusrite thought ahead and out DC blocking caps on the outputs.

3. You don't absolutely need it but if you have a shortage of channels on the desk you can sum the two keyboards. I wouldn't put it into the chain though unless it's absolutely necessary. You could really even put the loops into it if you are that short of channels but the click and cue needs to go to the desk as individual channels. Which model do you have, looks like there are a few different models. If it's the MX28 like was suggested it's not a problem, if it's one of the others it could be troublesome.

If you use the rolls you would need to follow the below diagram.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

Wonderful.  This is such a help to me. 

3.  I do have the MX28.  Also, we have plenty of available channels on our board.  I think I can comfortably use 6 channels.  Maybe not 8, though.

1.  So when you say send Mainstage on 2 outputs, I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean go into the preferences of Mainstage and tell it to send to specific channels of the 6i6? 

Do you recommend that I use the MX28 or not?  I don't even know the purpose of it.  Once guy told me to get it and so I did. 

It's also probably worth mentioning that we use IEM's.  Each band member has a ME-1 (personal mixer) to control our own ears.  The board we use at FOH is the QU-32.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:18:01 PM by Isaac South »

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »

Wonderful.  This is such a help to me. 

3.  I do have the MX28.  Also, we have plenty of available channels on our board.  I think I can comfortably use 6 channels.  Maybe not 8, though.

1.  So when you say send Mainstage on 2 outputs, I am not sure what you mean.  Do you mean go into the preferences of Mainstage and tell it to send to specific channels of the 6i6? 

Do you recommend that I use the MX28 or not?  I don't even know the purpose of it.  Once guy told me to get it and so I did. 

It's also probably worth mentioning that we use IEM's.  Each band member has a ME-1 (personal mixer) to control our own ears.  The board we use at FOH is the QU-32.

3. I happened to look at the 6i6 in the short time between answers and it looks like it only has 4 line outs, name is counter intuitive IMHO, probably has 6 outputs if you use the SP/DIF outputs... Yes I would send MainStage to output 1 and 2(the keyboard part), since the 6i6 only has 4 outs put the loops on output 3 and the click on output 4.

1. Chat with whoever is doing sound, if it's you then you would need to make that call yourself. The only thing it would do is decrease the amount of channels that is being sent to the console, you would need to mix it yourself though with the rolls.

I doubt you will have issues with IEMs, the ME-1 has 40 channels if I remember right so you will be able to do a custom setup on your ME-1 that would let you mix all of them in your ears yourself.

The rolls really just looks like a set of attenuators going to a stereo bus so I doubt it would do anything negative to the sound, if there is a buzz or something though that would be the first thing I remove from the chain, could have a pin-1 problem.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »

Thank you, Jean Pierre.  This is an answer to prayer.  Honest. 

I really hate to seem needy, but could you redraw the diagram since my 6i6 only has 4 ouputs?

Let's say I'm in a live set, and I want to stop using my Mainstage sounds, and I want to use my internal Roland sounds.  How do I tell the Mainstage to stop working and tell the Roland to start working??

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.