ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting Up Keyboard Rig  (Read 13610 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Setting Up Keyboard Rig
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »

Thank you, Jean Pierre.  This is an answer to prayer.  Honest. 

I really hate to seem needy, but could you redraw the diagram since my 6i6 only has 4 ouputs?

Let's say I'm in a live set, and I want to stop using my Mainstage sounds, and I want to use my internal Roland sounds.  How do I tell the Mainstage to stop working and tell the Roland to start working??

Just ignore the two bottom pink lines, other than that leave it be for the without rolls drawing above, for the with rolls drawing ignore the bottom two green lines coming from the 6i6.

For the second question that would depend entirely on how you end up doing the software patching but honestly I would say while your using MainStage leave the volume on the Roland turned down, if you need to use the Roland turn down the volume on your Synth patch in MainStage and turn the volume on the Roland up.

Lots of keyboard player use MainStage for sounds so I really doubt you will ever have a problem. My recommendation though is setup a User Account on the Mac that is used only for MainStage and use your current account for everything else. The only issues I've seen with MainStage has been with a MacBook Air overheating(CPU temperature throttling) which we solved by simply not blocking the air intakes for the fans and simply having 10000 things open in the background while MainStage is running.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »

Just ignore the two bottom pink lines, other than that leave it be for the without rolls drawing above, for the with rolls drawing ignore the bottom two green lines coming from the 6i6.

For the second question that would depend entirely on how you end up doing the software patching but honestly I would say while your using MainStage leave the volume on the Roland turned down, if you need to use the Roland turn down the volume on your Synth patch in MainStage and turn the volume on the Roland up.

Lots of keyboard player use MainStage for sounds so I really doubt you will ever have a problem. My recommendation though is setup a User Account on the Mac that is used only for MainStage and use your current account for everything else. The only issues I've seen with MainStage has been with a MacBook Air overheating(CPU temperature throttling) which we solved by simply not blocking the air intakes for the fans and simply having 10000 things open in the background while MainStage is running.

I modified your drawing (the with rolls part).  I think it's still wrong, though...I included a key that explains my colors.

I've attached it here.  Not sure if I attached it correctly.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »

You can send the loops/backing tracks to the Rolls that's fine, just need to send the click track separate.

The rolls would allow you to sum all of it to 1 stereo pair(2 cables).

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:34 PM »

You can send the loops/backing tracks to the Rolls that's fine, just need to send the click track separate.

The rolls would allow you to sum all of it to 1 stereo pair(2 cables).

Oh I see.  In that case, I think I'd rather only send the Roland internal sounds and the mainstage sounds to the MX28.

Then send the loops/tracks to a DI box and to FOH on another channel (or two if stereo).

Then send the click to a DI box and to FOH.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 03:31:47 PM »

That would be correct. Theoretically you can send the click through the built in output setting up an aggregate IO on the Mac which will allow you to run stereo loop.

You can do it in the Audio/Midi setting utility.

But you can also just run mono track and click and run it from the 6i6

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
Setting Up Keyboard Rig
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:06:54 AM »

One other quick question, guys.

For connecting 1/4 inch cables from my interface to my Rolls mx28.....can I use ts cables for that or does it need to be trs?

Also, is it ok to use a cheaper cable, or do these patch cables need to be really good quality?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 05:33:03 AM »

TS is fine and a decent quality would be needed. Make sure that the shield is decent at the very least and put Neutrik or Amphenol or whatever is currently considered the best 1/4" connectors on it.

Buy once.

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 09:33:57 PM »

I know this an old post of mine, but I’ve got a new question. Recently, I’ve been wondering why I even need the rolls MX28. I originally got it so that I could mix my mainstage sounds and my keyboard sounds separately and then send one stereo set to FOH.

But couldn’t I do that with only the Scarlett?  If I want to use mainstage, then just turn on that patch and turn down the volume on my keyboard. And if I want to use my keyboard sound, then I would select a “blank” patch in mainstage and turn up the volume on my keyboard.

Am I thinking correctly?

Thank you for your input.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 04:09:32 AM »

I know this an old post of mine, but I’ve got a new question. Recently, I’ve been wondering why I even need the rolls MX28. I originally got it so that I could mix my mainstage sounds and my keyboard sounds separately and then send one stereo set to FOH.

But couldn’t I do that with only the Scarlett?  If I want to use mainstage, then just turn on that patch and turn down the volume on my keyboard. And if I want to use my keyboard sound, then I would select a “blank” patch in mainstage and turn up the volume on my keyboard.

Am I thinking correctly?

You can do that but the rolls gives you an nice actual visual que to check quickly in one place, to check the volume on the keyboard and check the MainStage patch and then to fix one or the other requires a lot of eye movement and moving your hand to a few different places.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »

Am I thinking correctly?

Also check out the new Radial KL-8.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.