ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite test tools?  (Read 3660 times)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
Favorite test tools?
« on: November 08, 2017, 03:51:14 PM »

What are your favorite electrical test tools, whether they be a multimeter, NCVT, or otherwise?

I'm looking to get a meter, and I'm curious as to what the rest of you use and like and can recommend. If possible, give an approximate price.

If there's something specific out there you recommend avoiding (for being unsafe, inaccurate, or difficult to use) maybe tell us about that, too.

Maybe we can all learn something.

(I'd be willing to spend up to around $120 for a good clamp meter, but I'd be willing to spend less than that for something, too.)
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Favorite test tools?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:57:03 PM »

What are your favorite electrical test tools, whether they be a multimeter, NCVT, or otherwise?

I'm looking to get a meter, and I'm curious as to what the rest of you use and like and can recommend. If possible, give an approximate price.

If there's something specific out there you recommend avoiding (for being unsafe, inaccurate, or difficult to use) maybe tell us about that, too.

Maybe we can all learn something.

(I'd be willing to spend up to around $120 for a good clamp meter, but I'd be willing to spend less than that for something, too.)

My favorite meter is a Fluke 117. Does Hi-Z, Low-Z, AC/DC/Amps, plus has a built in NCVT. And it's a Fluke.

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-117-Electricians-True-Multimeter/dp/B000O3LUEI

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »

I really like Fluke DMM's-but if I could only have one meter and I wanted a clamp meter the Klein CL2000 series of clamp meters are pretty solid.  They include an NCVT as well-a lot of meter for the money.
Steve Swaffer

David Buckley

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 03:35:53 PM »

If you are going to place a test meter across the mains, make sure it - and the test leads - are CatIII 600V minimum rated.  You might not need to be quite that safe, but it means that the day you need it your gear will be ready.

This rating will be marked adjacent to the terminals on the meter.

The Fluke 117 and Klein CL2000 series already mentioned are both compliant in this respect. 

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »

i have owned a number of meters over the years.  I finally bought a used Fluke.  Now that is all I use. 
Not to Code

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 09:57:41 PM »

i have owned a number of meters over the years.  I finally bought a used Fluke.  Now that is all I use.

It was a long time ago, but I bought a used Fluke 8260A for $175. It is the only meter I have used since. All the usual functions plus dB scale and frequency counter (I think). I also have an NCVT, Smaart w/4 mics, I do not have one of those neat XLR tubes that tells you what comm lines have power on them although I wish I did.

Mac

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

For basic field electrical work I have a Tripplett 9045 RMS DVM that will measure frequency, handy for generators, a NCVT and a basic plug in outlet tester.

For field audio trouble shooting, an older Shure battery powered headphone amp that will take either line or mic level inputs, Neutrik MR1 Minirator, RAT XLR sniffer, my home made speakon tester and a tool box that weighs 40 pounds stuffed with tools, parts, connectors and assorted widgets and gizmos.

My bench also has an old Simpson analog multimeter and an old Leader O scope.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 07:33:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.