ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just ordered a Qu-16  (Read 10691 times)

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
Re: Just ordered a Qu-16
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 11:11:39 PM »

WiFi isn't sufficiently robust to deliver professional quality control of audio for showtime.  Yeah, some folks do it all the time without issue but most end up tolerating a drop out or lock up or 2 per show, sometimes more.  A comment in another thread about this all working until the audience shows up with their network-promiscuous cell phones is spot on.  Flawless until the punters arrive...  Don't count on having constant and full control over monitors at showtime with just an iPad.  Just sayin....

I'm not sure if it's different in "the big city," but here in Colorado I've done over 50 shows so far in 2017, most all FOH & monitors, exclusively on WiFi.  No dropouts, no restarts, no interruptions in the show.

Mackie DL32R or Midas MR18, Apple AirPort Extreme.

Colorado Springs, CO

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »

I'm not sure if it's different in "the big city," but here in Colorado I've done over 50 shows so far in 2017, most all FOH & monitors, exclusively on WiFi.  No dropouts, no restarts, no interruptions in the show.

Mackie DL32R or Midas MR18, Apple AirPort Extreme.

You are very lucky.  I suggest buying a lotto ticket; if you win, continue using wireless, exclusively.  If you do not win the lotto I suggest you find a way to manually control your mixer (laptop with wired connection, control surface) as this WILL bite you on the ass at the most crucial and vulnerable time.  Trust me.

I've had rock-solid control until the audience arrives.  Sometimes it can be a two hundred folks and still work, sometimes it can be a thousand punters or more, but I can guarantee that under the typical gig situations *I* work in that my WiFi connection will likely freeze up or disconnect at least in 35% of the venues we work in.

YMMV and all... but I don't rely on chance or random RF benevolence to keep my employer's reputation intact.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:18:06 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »

I have been ipad mixing now for over 4 years with excellent results. I think that is the case in part because of where I work. Raleigh area in NC has been very kind to me and I have had few drop outs ( not the case with my android however).  I have even been able to use 2.4ghz for the most part too.
However, I think Raleigh is becoming congested as it grows because  I have been finding more and more especially over the past 6 months that I get drop outs now. Not many - maybe 1 or 2 per show but I used to get zero 95% of the time - so I am now using 5ghz exclusively and I raise up the router quite high for line of sight. This has made a huge improvement and as long as I make sure to do this every show, I am back to no drop outs again. For now....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2017, 03:49:04 AM »

I have done many events where I have had continuous connection for up to ten hours at a time.

The only time I have had a disconnection was when I had the router on a small wooden table and had the tablet on the floor below whilst charging.  About 20" away! 

Someone suggested it was because the wireless signal leaves the antenna in a donut shape and the tablet was sitting in the hole.  I don't know if this is true but it sounded feasible as it was perfect anywhere else in the room.

Steve.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2017, 07:47:57 AM »

Someone suggested it was because the wireless signal leaves the antenna in a donut shape and the tablet was sitting in the hole.  I don't know if this is true but it sounded feasible as it was perfect anywhere else in the room.

Steve.

That is true, for a single straight "whip" style antenna the transmitting and receiving pattern is a donut shape with the nulls directly above and below the antenna.

Some routers and access points use multiple antennas for different bands, 2.4ghz and 5ghz others do some trick beam forming to reshape the transmit and receive pattern.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:58:03 AM by Mike Caldwell »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:30 AM »

I have done many events where I have had continuous connection for up to ten hours at a time.

The only time I have had a disconnection was when I had the router on a small wooden table and had the tablet on the floor below whilst charging.  About 20" away! 

Steve.

I "mount" my Linksys router on a fully-extended mic stand which raises it about 5' or so.
No problem with lost signals on my applications.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.