ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: K&M. . .figuring out where to jump in  (Read 11614 times)

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: K&M. . .figuring out where to jump in
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

210/9 here too, but I prefer chrome. Doesn't show scratches neatly as bad, and not as "trendy" looking.

Last time I tried to order chrome, I was told the Canadian distributor (SF Marketing) wasn't stocking them any longer.

Instead of the 210/9 combo, I've been ordering the 201/2 stand and 211/1 boom.  It's the same boom, but the stand has slightly shorter and smaller diameter legs.  For the small stages I usually work on, it makes a big difference.  I used to just cut 3" off each leg of the 210/9 stands, but this is less work.

I had a few stands with the "large wingnut" instead of the "bar bell" and grew to hate them.  I just couldn't get enough torque easily, and the bar bell works very nicely for draping the mic or guitar cables over.

For short stands, all I really need is the 259.  I do have a couple of the even lower, non-telescopic ones (259/1?).  They're slightly cheaper, but can't do anything the 259 can't do already.

GTD

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »

Any opinion on the one-handed stands (26085)?

Seems like they would work well for the award presentation type things where several speakers are cycling through on stage.
I love the K&M one handers. Unlike Ultimate and Buffalo's versions, they're field serviceable and tension adjustable with no tools.

No point for presenters at a lectern, but people standing in front of the bare straight stand figure it out most of the time, if you have a chance to tell them to just grab the stand and squeeze.

The rubber ring under the round stacking base comes unglued after a while.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Jonathan Woytek

• http://www.dryrose.com
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 09:21:29 PM »

I'm a devotee of the 21075 stand (wing nut with two-section boom) for my tall stands, and use the 259 (mine are all a little older and have the wing nut, not sure how new versions come, same two-section boom) for most short stand duties, and a 2591 for kick drum use. I've never had trouble getting the required torque on that giant wing nut, but then again, people often don't like to shake my hand after their initial experience. Mine are all black. I do a lot of work in theatres, so I usually like to have stands that I can disappear easily.

One thing I need to do: Order and keep on hand extra cable clips. I usually don't use them on lead vocal stands, as I've lost a few when someone who said they never remove the mic later decides to remove the mic, sending the clips flying into oblivion.

Other than that, mine have held up quite well over the years. A few could use a bit of touch-up paint.
Jonathan Woytek
Dryrose Productions

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 02:00:03 AM »

One thing I need to do: Order and keep on hand extra cable clips. I usually don't use them on lead vocal stands, as I've lost a few when someone who said they never remove the mic later decides to remove the mic, sending the clips flying into oblivion.

Funny as I tend to immediately remove all cable clips. My experience has been as soon as you use one, somebody goes to pull the mic off the stand mid-show.

hugovanmeijeren

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:22 AM »

In our mic stand packages, we basically use 3 standard K&M types. Each 'package' consists of:
- 8x K&M 210/9 general purpose tall mic stand
- 7x K&M 259 general purpose small mic stand
- 1x K&M 25950 extra small kick drum stand with short legs (unfortunately these have the wingnut for adjusting the boom)

One package is generally enough for your average rock band type of shows.

We also stock some K&M 260/1 round base stands, but we only use them at special request.

Do not buy the stands with a wingnut to adjust the boom (like the K&M 21080). They are too hard to really tighten. Very hard to hold a heavier microphone such as an AKG C414 with extended boom...
Hugo van Meijeren

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »

Hi Tim,

The 210 and 259 series stands are solid and nice.

This spring I bought some 25600s and they are really solid and really nice.
The stands are maybe a bit heavy for fast in/out gigs.
The long legs can be a challenge on a really tight stage.
Extra height and stability are great when you are pushing things to the limit.
The re-positionable lever lock is really easy to use, and the mic clip loosen function is sweet.

When extra stability is needed on lighter stands I velcro on leg weights.
1.5# is helpful,  5# is plenty.

Good health,  Weogo

Simon Lewis

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »

...plus the great thing about K&M is that all the parts are available as spares...

When we inherited a bunch of stands with large wing nuts.... we just replaced them with the turret nut and tommy bar.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 12:31:06 AM »

I have mostly  K&M 200, which are really indestructable, and don't have those very long legs, but are heavy enough for almost all microphones. The big advantage is more space and easier placement of monitors and pedalboxes etc.

I would also have a look at the 25600. But 210/9 should be fine.

So, I received a big shipment from Connolly today with my opening order. Can't believe how nice these stands are. Really no comparison to the stuff I got rid of.

Mostly 210/9 and 259 mic stands and some speaker stands including the nice new flat plate stands that don't have legs to trip on.

I ordered a 200 stand and boom for it. Amazing stand. Not sure if I'd want to pay the 80% premium for 20 of them, but the one I have is going into my guitar room at home. The shock absorbing base is really nice, and the small size and big weight are nice.

Also got the one-handed stackable stands. They work incredibly well, and I can't see people having an issue with figuring it out on the fly. Looks like a real winner.

Also ordered several K&M soft cases and they are all nicely built. Particularly the 6 mic stand pro case. It has padded dividers and a shoulder strap.

Thanks for the advice folks. Feeling good about the new gear. . .and now I'm a K&M dealer, too.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:08 AM »

Yes, the 200 is more expensive, but i think not in the long run. I have some 200's 15-20 years old and have been used hundreds of times.

It is simply not possible to destroy them. Only maintenance is tightening the leg-bolts from time to time. While the 210 is a nice stand, it feels flimsy compared to the 200. The 210 will have bent legs after people trip/stand on the legs, and will lose the rubber caps on the legs. This is both not possible with the 200. Factor in the other advantages, and the financial stress goes away very fast, at least in my mind.

Glad you like the k&m stuff.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:34:02 AM by Geert Friedhof »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

With much abuse from other people, who just don't care, I've found the following problems with our 210/9 stands, when I haven't got my beady eye on them:

The crimp at the top of the vertical tube, which holds the stud that the boom assembly screws onto, comes loose.  I've tried re-crimping, but it never lasts that long.  Only remaining solution is to drill through and use a rivet/bolt to attach firmly.

If the above happens, then it's not uncommon for the inner pole to fall out, and then get lost.

Stripped threads in the thumbwheels on the boom, and once on the tommy bar adjuster.

That said, I wouldn't buy anything else...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.