ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bi-amping with QSC GX?  (Read 4944 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Bi-amping with QSC GX?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »

Peavey... Keep the sub's together when you can! ;-)

Douglas R. Allen

I apologize for the topic swerve...

Hey, it was 2003... what did I know before joining this forum?  Not much, except ALWAYS high-pass your subs!

-Dennis

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:26:01 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Tim Bulin

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 09:37:53 AM »

Peavey recommendations on power to their speakers is somewhere between RMS and program. I use a bridged cs800"s" on each compact18 for 800 watts to each sub. A pv2600 on my sp2x tops for 540 watts to each. With proper lowcut on the sub's (40hz 4th order) and 100hz crossover while being sure not push into ddt I've been using them like that for years. As others have stated you don't gain much by adding much more power than this. Power compression and distortion quickly remove the benefits.  Report back and let us know how you made out with the system. Keep the sub's together when you can! ;-)

Douglas R. Allen

Well here's where I'm at so far. 

Scored a pair of Subcompact 18 subs on Craigslist for $150 in great shape(needed new jack cups, only thing I could find wrong with them).  Hit up Guitar Center's used gear for a pair of SP5G's for $250 shipped and $500 shipped for a pair of used GX5's.  Got a new Samson PB15 power conditioner for $80(use the same model on my other rack, really like it).  Got an excellent condition 6 space SKB rack case at a local shop for $80.  Still need an EQ, made an offer today on a used Rane MQ302.

Everything is in very good to excellent condition and I should have it all together for less than $1200, how am I doing so far?

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 10:01:38 AM »

I apologize for the topic swerve...

Hey, it was 2003... what did I know before joining this forum?  Not much, except ALWAYS high-pass your subs!

-Dennis

When I see your picture my brain goes.  The 4 subcompact 18's in the center. Sp3g's on tripods for the main L/R area. The JBL's on tripods L/R if they can be stick mounted for side fills. Put the current center speakers L/R not plugged in for show.

Douglas R. Allen

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »

Well here's where I'm at so far. 

Scored a pair of Subcompact 18 subs on Craigslist for $150 in great shape(needed new jack cups, only thing I could find wrong with them).  Hit up Guitar Center's used gear for a pair of SP5G's for $250 shipped and $500 shipped for a pair of used GX5's.  Got a new Samson PB15 power conditioner for $80(use the same model on my other rack, really like it).  Got an excellent condition 6 space SKB rack case at a local shop for $80.  Still need an EQ, made an offer today on a used Rane MQ302.

Everything is in very good to excellent condition and I should have it all together for less than $1200, how am I doing so far?

The GX5 looks to be a good amp. One thing to consider and try. The crossover in the GX5 is 100 Hz, 3rd order LP (sub), 2nd order HP (top).
In plain English the subs are rolled off 18db's per octave above 100hz. But only 12db's per octave Below 100hz for the tops.

When you get your setup be sure to check the wiring in the subs.  Use 1 sub as a reference. Have Full Range music going through it. Don't have the crossover section turned on to start. Play music with a lot of bass material. Have the other sub facing it or front to front about 6 inches apart. Turn it on now , try to have both subs about the same output level alone before this,  the music doesn't have to be that loud and you can use the input sensitivity knobs in the front to do this. Make sure the bass goes up in level. If the bass drops there may be a reversed wire in one of the subs or input xlr's , source etc. Its important to check this.

Next take the reference sub and play the same music but have the sp5 on the floor facing it's front about 6 inches away again. Give the Sp5 full range music as well. Does the bass go up or down?

Last take the same sub and top facing each other and use one of your GX5's with its crossover turned on to see how the bass is effected at and around the crossover point. If you hear a drop out in bass try reversing the wires that feed the 18 inch drivers in the box. (the bottom comes off by removing the screws on the bottom and prying the panel off, may be tight) Set both subs wiring that gives the best sound the same.

Why I mentioned this is I used to set some Sp2A's on top of some compact 18's and it was best to reverse the subs wiring to get the best phase response at the crossover point. This may not be the case with your crossovers slopes and tops boxes phase response but at least you could give it a check.
Hope this helps.

Douglas R. Allen

Tim Bulin

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 11:41:20 AM »

The GX5 looks to be a good amp. One thing to consider and try. The crossover in the GX5 is 100 Hz, 3rd order LP (sub), 2nd order HP (top).
In plain English the subs are rolled off 18db's per octave above 100hz. But only 12db's per octave Below 100hz for the tops.

When you get your setup be sure to check the wiring in the subs.  Use 1 sub as a reference. Have Full Range music going through it. Don't have the crossover section turned on to start. Play music with a lot of bass material. Have the other sub facing it or front to front about 6 inches apart. Turn it on now , try to have both subs about the same output level alone before this,  the music doesn't have to be that loud and you can use the input sensitivity knobs in the front to do this. Make sure the bass goes up in level. If the bass drops there may be a reversed wire in one of the subs or input xlr's , source etc. Its important to check this.

Next take the reference sub and play the same music but have the sp5 on the floor facing it's front about 6 inches away again. Give the Sp5 full range music as well. Does the bass go up or down?

Last take the same sub and top facing each other and use one of your GX5's with its crossover turned on to see how the bass is effected at and around the crossover point. If you hear a drop out in bass try reversing the wires that feed the 18 inch drivers in the box. (the bottom comes off by removing the screws on the bottom and prying the panel off, may be tight) Set both subs wiring that gives the best sound the same.

Why I mentioned this is I used to set some Sp2A's on top of some compact 18's and it was best to reverse the subs wiring to get the best phase response at the crossover point. This may not be the case with your crossovers slopes and tops boxes phase response but at least you could give it a check.
Hope this helps.

Douglas R. Allen

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it when I get it all put together.

Tim

Tim Bulin

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 03:27:41 AM »

Just finished my first gig with the SP5G system.  I like it, DJed at a small bar and it was really all I need.  Minimal adjustment on the EQ and all was good with the internal crossovers on the GX5's.  Overall the system had a nice full sound.  Never had any of the indicators even close to clipping and was plenty loud for a small room.

I'm a firm believer in keeping things running clean and not abusing my equipment.  I have made one observation though.  Peavey advertised it's BX series as the "toughest SP enclosures ever", I don't think so.  My BX subs are  the 1st ones with the corner protectors and red print on the badges, my SP2's are the last version of the BX...they are for all intents and purposes new and don't seem even close to as durable  as the 20+ year old "G" series of the 25+ subcompact 18's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 03:27:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.