ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gain Problems  (Read 5270 times)

Jack Hyatt

Re: Gain Problems
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 07:17:07 PM »

I own a 266xl and can say that as far as gate / comps go, it is not my first choice. I wouldn't be quick to blame it though. You have to see what it is doing. If you are compressing 12db or so and there is no make up gain, then you will certainly notice gain reduction. Compressing a main mix isn't really doing any good for you anyway. It would be best applied to a mix group if its intention is to keep certain things under wraps. A compressor is not fast enough nor aggressive enough in normal use conditions to save speaker elements. At least for the sake of protection alone. This is why you hear about zero attack limiters and rms limiting more often for speaker protection. The compressor is actually an RMS increasing unit. In its basic form and use it will increase the rms power that is exhibited to the speakers.

So what would happen if I separated it from the mix entirely?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 12:18:44 AM »

I think you will find that you have a more natural sounding presentation and you may find that feedback is less prevalent.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

So what would happen if I separated it from the mix entirely?
Please don't take this the wrong way...

but Give It A Shot! :-) Hit that "Bypass" button before driving up the system next time you use it, assuming you want to preserve the settings, or if you don't care about the current settings, reduce all of the settings to zero-impact-on-the-system. Give it a listen to see how it is. You might find that other "weirdness" raises their heads once this is removed, but finding *those* things and dealing with them will go a long way to making you happier in the long run!

Side note: where are you located? If you post your location, there might be a LAB member close to you. Often, for the price of a pizza and a six pack of beer, you can get someone to swing by on their day off and give you a couple pointers!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 10:11:59 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.