ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IP UHF Antenna Interface?!  (Read 5779 times)

Benjamin Krumholz

Re: IP UHF Antenna Interface?!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »

The closest I have seen to "something like this" is the Shure Microflex wireless conference system.
The "antenna" is actually a Dante network device that acts as a receive antenna and can also transmit changes to the wireless mics.
Yes, it does operate on a digital audio network but, it allows for antennas to be as remote as required.

As for the descriptions of "network layers" I'm rather fond of chocolate layer cake....

Yes but these are DECT band..

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »

Im not looking to plug an LPDA or a Helical right into my Cisco SG300 with POE. (really yes I am) Of course there would need to be an interface. But if this is an ANALOG to light conversion as Pete states, Why cant that conversion be digitized and transported as such?! Then be amplified/ rectified on the back-end somewhere

Am I Crazy?!

You're not crazy, what you're referring to exists in military/espionage/aerospace applications. But your price point does make you nuts.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:05:28 PM by Cameron Stuckey »

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 05:04:02 PM »

You're not crazy, what you're referring to exists in military/espionage/aerospace applications. But your price point does make your nuts.

Ha! Thanks for the confirmation. ..

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 11:34:30 PM »

Ha! Thanks for the confirmation. ..

Uh... we don't have to kill you, but you have an appointment with our doctor, who will administer an injection....  <evil laugh, echos>

There's nothing like doing a week of work for a division of the Five Sided Building and being summoned before the Colonel.  "You guys saw and heard things that weren't for your level of clearance.  You are ordered to have seen and heard nothing."  "Yes, Colonel!"  It kind of gave me a Hogan's Heros sort of feeling...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »

There's nothing like doing a week of work for a division of the Five Sided Building and being summoned before the Colonel.  "You guys saw and heard things that weren't for your level of clearance.  You are ordered to have seen and heard nothing."  "Yes, Colonel!"  It kind of gave me a Hogan's Heros sort of feeling...

Funny, I was about to mention Tom Delange from Blink 182.. He seems to have some high end clearances.. If he is planning to shoot cube sats into orbit with a laser, why cant i get a god damn UHF IP antenna system..

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »

Yes, I understand the are DECT band. I was not suggesting this as a solution.
I was simply referring to a device that does use a remote antenna over a digital network.
That would be the "something like this" reference.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:02:36 PM »

Yes, I understand the are DECT band. I was not suggesting this as a solution.
I was simply referring to a device that does use a remote antenna over a digital network.
That would be the "something like this" reference.

There is an important distinction with the DECT system.  An RF AP contains a receiver and a demodulator.  The recovered data is then transmitted over the packet network.

You can't take an analog sample of the complex waveform and recover it intact over the packet network.  Look how complex it is to transport audio over packet and create it back at the other end.

The RF signals have much wider bandwidth and are far more complex.   

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 11:06:25 PM »

The closest I have seen to "something like this" is the Shure Microflex wireless conference system.
The "antenna" is actually a Dante network device that acts as a receive antenna and can also transmit changes to the wireless mics.
Yes, it does operate on a digital audio network but, it allows for antennas to be as remote as required.

They don't relate to the original question because the "antenna" is really an 8ch transceiver that only passes digital audio over the network, like Freespeak, Bolero, and Romeo do in the comms world. There is no "RF" over IP.

Mac

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:29:32 AM »

I'm wondering if it would not be possible with a Layer-2 protocol on a GBe-1 or GBe-10 network but I think the throughput might be quite limited.

Using the Nyquist theorem you would probably need a sample rate at 1GHz for 500MHz and down with the usual 24-bit dither process. Hmmm so not you would need in the range of 30-50Gb of throughput for 1 line never kind the FPGA processing power to handle switching at those speeds.

I don't see this working very easily on a copper line, maybe CAT7 and that would still only be in the lower UHF band which is fine since nearly the entire upper UHF band is illegal to use.

Sorry just thinking this through as I type. I don't think the FPGA technology is there to switch that kind of data rates just yet and although the copper might be there it would be prohibitively expensive to use.

Stick to RFoF or analogue gear.

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk

Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 02:29:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.