ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bringing an SPX90 Back From The Dead  (Read 1023 times)

GenePink

Re: Bringing an SPX90 Back From The Dead
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 11:37:49 pm »

And it goes without saying, you'll have a ground lifter / cheater on your soldering iron's power cord when you're working on live equipment.  Right? 

Whoops, I'm so used to my 1meg anti-static grounding setup for the iron, I forgot to mention that, as it has been that way for 25+ years. See pic.

I'll never forget 'cold calling' you once and the hard time you gave me 'till you figured out who was calling.

It was good to hear from you. With an out-of-state area code, my telemarketer senses would have been on high alert. I Hope I didn't cuss you out too badly, and I'm sure your mother is a fine woman. :)

Gene

GenePink

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 12:24:51 am »

Sockets are available, but without removing the board to see what's underneath (the "-" connection) I couldn't tell if any of them would fit.

They won't. I recently ran into this with a friend's SPX900 or 1000, can't remember which. I have stripped a lot of unwanted gear over the years, so I have a decent collection of coin cell sockets. Rather than waiting on ordering a proper yamaha battery, I simply kludged a used socket in there to work. The hidden terminal wouldn't reach, so I cut it short and wrapped some bussss wire around the nub and bent the wire to work. A few screws out, and the board lifted up enough to get at the underside to solder, SPX90 may be different.

Gene

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 11:23:02 am »

... I simply kludged a used socket in there to work.

Fortunately, the lead spacing on my Lexicon PCM91 did match an available coin battery socket.  It also allowed me to use the commonly available CR2032 instead of the original CR2325.

Not sure why manufacturers didn't go that route in the first place.  Guess they figured their devices wouldn't be in use after the 3 - 5 year battery life?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 10:24:43 am »

Brings back memories.  I had an SPX90II, SPX90, REV7 and Roland SDE3000...I think...in the FOH rack and two SPX90 in the monitor rack.  I had another SPX90 in my guitar rig and I swear it warmed the sound of the guitar rig.

Bill

In the 90's my go-to guitar rig for recording and live was an ADA MP-1 into an SPX-90 into an ADA MicroCab II. Sounded pretty good, stage volume was 100% PA, and I could switch patches on the MP1 and SPX90 at the same time. Both the SPX90 and the MP1 gave up the ghost about 10 years ago and sold them for parts out of the rack, but that 12-bit sound definitely helped with the guitar sound, softening delays, etc.  And in the 90's when I didn't have enough computer to run a lot of plugins, this was a great way to record guitar parts without getting evicted!

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2017, 05:42:31 pm »

I have a Yamaha DSP-1, which I believe is the consumer ("home") version of the SPX-90.  I bought it in 1988 and it is still working fine.  I have never replaced the battery.  It provides the surround (4 speakers) in my sound studio.  My old Hafler 500 amplifiers drive them.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

Isnt there an SPX90 plug in?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.