ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lighting Question - MARQ Rezotubes  (Read 4728 times)

Brandon Duhon

Lighting Question - MARQ Rezotubes
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:50:19 PM »

Hi everyone, new to the forum. I have a lighting question and you guys seem like just the people to know the answer.

I recently bought a set of MARQ Rezotubes for stage lighting purposes. This consists of 5 long LED tubes connected to a controller. They work great, but the problem is that the cords that extend from the tubes to the controller are not long enough for what I need.

They are not DMX, but a different type of connector that is 4-pin. It is not 4-pin DMX, the arrangement of the pins is different. I believe that this is the type of cable that sends power as well as lighting information. But I don't know the term for this type of cable, I've been searching and searching online but no luck. The people at MARQ have not responded to my inquiry as of yet and I need to get started on purchasing extensions for these cables.

Does anyone know the name of this type of cable, so that I can buy extensions? Thank you very much, photo is attached.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:28:01 AM »

Hi everyone, new to the forum.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Brandon Duhon

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Sorry about that, has been fixed. Does anyone happen to have an answer to this query?

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Lighting Question - MARQ Rezotubes
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »

The short answer is "I don't know."  The longer answer is that if you find a suitably rated set of connectors, you could "add more to the middle" of a cord. It would be a PITA, but if you can not find the OEM style connectors, it might be your best option. If the current is too high for a four pin XLR connector (and there are four conductors in the existing cord), a SpeakOn connector might be a suitable option if you want to have extensions instead of a pair if simple splices.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Fruits

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:23 AM »

First off, it seems photobucket isn't a good hosting site, lately I have seen lots of that "upgrade your account" disclaimer.  Sigh.
Can you open the shell of the cable and see what's in there?  Is it like color scroller cable, with two larger wires for power and two smaller wires for signal?  One other thing that puzzles me is that the panel mount power outputs look to be male, even if they are low voltage that still seems just wrong.  If you can't source the same connector it looks like your best bet is to chop up your existing cables and make them adapter cables to another standard like 4 pin xlr or something.  That's assuming that the unit can handle possible cable loss issues. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:00:48 PM »

Tough to tell from the limited (non-existent) specs on the product, but these look like the cables used on older light packages from ADJ, Chauvet, etc. If I am guessing correctly these are a 4-wire cable, unshielded, and could be anywhere from 18-22 gauge cable.
Does this look like the connector?  https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-cb-mic-plug-4-pin-female--090-535
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Brandon Duhon

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »

Tough to tell from the limited (non-existent) specs on the product, but these look like the cables used on older light packages from ADJ, Chauvet, etc. If I am guessing correctly these are a 4-wire cable, unshielded, and could be anywhere from 18-22 gauge cable.
Does this look like the connector?  https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-cb-mic-plug-4-pin-female--090-535

Yes you are correct! I've been doing a lot of online sleuthing and I've managed to find the technical term for this type of cable connector, it is called an "aviation connector" and is often used for things like rear-view cameras on cars, etc. Just in case anyone else is looking for this info in the future.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

duane massey

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »

ADJ and Chauvet used to sell cables like this, might still do.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Neil Farthing

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 01:30:04 PM »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and stumbled upon it while looking for any info on these 4-pin leads.
A DJ friend wanted me to make him five, 5M long extensions for his rezotubes. I have now done this and was wondering if there was any more demand for them? I have enough parts left over to make a small quantity.
Do any of you on the forum think this would be worth it?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber