Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Why no 5, 6 aux returns?

(1/4) > >>

Mark Monson:
I know this is a basic question, so I appreciate in advance any help the experienced users of this site can give me.  I just got a Mackie sr32-4 vlz pro mixer (bought it for $100 as it was being replaced by an x32).  I want to use aux 1-4 for stage monitors and aux 5, 6 for effects.  On my other board I have connected the output of the effects to the corresponding aux return.  I have connected the aux 5, 6 send to the inputs of the effects, but there is no aux 5, 6 return.  As aux 5, 6 on the Mackie were designed for parallel effects, how do I hook up the effects output?

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/1642-SRVLZProOwnersManual.pdf

Debbie Dunkley:

--- Quote from: Mark Monson on October 28, 2017, 06:13:38 PM ---I know this is a basic question, so I appreciate in advance any help the experienced users of this site can give me.  I just got a Mackie sr32-4 vlz pro mixer (bought it for $100 as it was being replaced by an x32).  I want to use aux 1-4 for stage monitors and aux 5, 6 for effects.  On my other board I have connected the output of the effects to the corresponding aux return.  I have connected the aux 5, 6 send to the inputs of the effects, but there is no aux 5, 6 return.  As aux 5, 6 on the Mackie were designed for parallel effects, how do I hook up the effects output?

--- End quote ---

If I am understanding you correctly.... I believe you can return through any of the 4 returns provided regardless of the send used to the FX unit.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Mark Monson on October 28, 2017, 06:13:38 PM ---I know this is a basic question, so I appreciate in advance any help the experienced users of this site can give me.  I just got a Mackie sr32-4 vlz pro mixer (bought it for $100 as it was being replaced by an x32).  I want to use aux 1-4 for stage monitors and aux 5, 6 for effects.  On my other board I have connected the output of the effects to the corresponding aux return.  I have connected the aux 5, 6 send to the inputs of the effects, but there is no aux 5, 6 return.  As aux 5, 6 on the Mackie were designed for parallel effects, how do I hook up the effects output?

--- End quote ---

Uh... because Mackie thought we were smart enough to plug into the returns, regardless of the number.

Look at the way the aux mixes are fed:  1-2 are "pre-EQ, pre-fader", 3-4 are switchable pre/post, and 5-6 are post-EQ, post-fader.  Think about that for a minute and it means that 1-2 will be used for stage monitors, 3-4 could be, too, and 5-6 are used for FX sends.  Any aux send used for stage monitors DOESN'T NEED A RETURN.  Just because it has a number doesn't mean it's linked in any way to a send with the same number...

Plug your effects outputs in to the Aux Returns of your choice - it doesn't matter.  Personally I like to have input channel strip EQ for my effects returns so (in analog world) I'll bring them back on unused channel inputs... full EQ, full panning and routing (incl the ability to route the output of an effect to the input of another), VCA control if the mixer is so equipped, etc.

You're over thinking this.

Ivan Beaver:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on October 28, 2017, 06:31:17 PM ---  Personally I like to have input channel strip EQ for my effects returns so (in analog world) I'll bring them back on unused channel inputs... full EQ, full panning and routing (incl the ability to route the output of an effect to the input of another), VCA control if the mixer is so equipped, etc.

You're over thinking this.

--- End quote ---
That is the way it has always been done.  MUCH more flexibility, control etc.

Just BE SURE DO NOT turn up the effects send for a particular effect that is being returned on that channel.  That is a good way to tear up loudspeakers.  Sometimes you don't even realize you are pushing them to extreme limits.

Don T. Williams:
+1 for Tim and Ivan.  If you have empty input channels they are much better for effects returns.  They will also give you the ability to return effects to the monitors and not just the main outputs.  This doesn't mean you HAVE to do that, but some vocalist (especially with in-ear monitors) "need" a little reverb in their mix.  It is also a good way to screw up a musicians timing by sending a delayed monitor signal to them, so unless your are trying to mess up their timing, don't do it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version